Reload chambering problems with my Lilja!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaddMaxx
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

Reload chambering problems with my Lilja!!!

I'm having problems with reloads in my Lilja (group Buy non-spec cham) and am throwing my problem to the horde members that obviously have more knowledge than I!!! Any suggestions will be appreciated and THX in advance!!!

1st photo is Hornady factory base measurement. 2nd is once fired reload. 3rd is before reload is chambered no scratches. 4th, reload was chambered showing chamber marks(scratched ring). Factory doesn't do that. Remeasured all points on reload and they are smaller than specs on Hornady ammo, except base (thinking it was a shoulder issue) Redding dies. Reload chambers easily in my Satern Spartan. Factory ammo feed-n-extracts easily in Lilja barrel but reload will sometimes chamber and when it does it really hard to extract.

• LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

What I would do is color the whole cartridge with black marker. Clean the chamber with a mop, making sure it is totally dry.

Re-chamber and extract the cartridge, and see what it looks like.

You can also try turning down your sizing die .005" and see if that corrects the problem. That ring you are seeing is showing evidence of press fit, which is not what we want.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MaddMaxx
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2014

Ok, THX LRRPF52.......I'll try that and report back. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue with these barrels.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I just tried several different hand loads with different brass types in one of my Lilja's with the .295" neck chamber.

My Lapua brass 1x fired with 123gr AMAX is tight, but drops out with a tap on a thick leather sheet.

My Hornady brass 1x fired with 123gr AMAX and 120gr TSX drop out with a tap in the hand.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MaddMaxx
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

That's interesting LRRPF52!! AA brass wouldn't even chamber in my Lilja but the Hornady brass would chamber but difficult to extract (handloads I'm talking about of course).

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Turn your die down until you get easy extraction. Take it incrementally so you don't crush the cases at the web area transition from the head to the sidewalls.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

i had the same problem with my resized brass and it was indeed that the sizing die was not adjusted tight enough. i did end up buying a sheridan gauge which did show this and confirm it. i use the gauge regularily now.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MaddMaxx View Post
                That's interesting LRRPF52!! AA brass wouldn't even chamber in my Lilja but the Hornady brass would chamber but difficult to extract (handloads I'm talking about of course).
                AA Brass is Lapua brass with an AA headstamp FYI.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  AA Brass is Lapua brass with an AA headstamp FYI.
                  Not anymore. Switched to Hornady about a year ago I think.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MaddMaxx
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2014

Good info folks!!! I have to get my sizing die back from my buddy but I'll definitely try it!!!!

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

You could also send the barrel to mark @pf and see if he can do something with the chamber.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• MaddMaxx
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2014

Just an update: Hank Rearden was kind enough to let me borrow his set of RCBS 264lbc-SB dies and it sized down(.005 difference) the brass small enough to fit in my Lilja chamber on this particular barrel. Big THANKS to Hank Rearden for the help!! I ended up agreeing to purchase this die set. I did notice I have the "belted" look on some of the brass too like others I've seen here. I talked to a guy at Lilja and he said if he remembered correctly that these "out of spec" barrels were actually a 264LBC chamber. I thought I'd just do a quick follow up and update status. Thanks for all's advice!

Comment

• MaddMaxx
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2014

Believe I have the bugs worked out of my lilja build now. This is a 3 shot group I got out it at 100yards.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• jawbone
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2012

good lord. 0.40 outside to outside? excellent barrel. excellent shooter.

Comment

• MaddMaxx
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2014

Muchas gracias JAWBONE! Fortunately that group was witnessed.....

Comment

Working...
                              X