• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

1-9 twist 20 inch SAAMI chamber where to buy

Like the title says freinds.

Where can a man buy a 20 inch 1-9 twist SAAMI chambered barrel other then the shilen barrel?
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-10-2016, 11:31 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling of SAAMI acronym for clarity
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Why do you want 1/9" twist?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Been doing alot of reading and from what I have come to understand lol maybe im misunderstanding it but 1-9 from a 20 inch should be better for the lighter bullets like the 123 and lighter pills.

I have a very good old family freind that I respect very much for his knowledge of shooting and we were talking about my 6.5 and I told him it had a 1-8 twist and he stated I should go to a 9 twist for a barrel of 20 inches are longer and so I started researching.

Now I maybe wrong in my understanding and my freind has never shoot an ar and all his knowledge is from old school boltguns but I figured he must have abetter idea then me and I am in the market for a new barrel.

But I also read were a AA barrels 20 inches are longer had are still run with a 9 twist, so that lead me to thinking of going that route with the new barrel.

Sorry for being so long winded and hope my chiken scracth typing makes since lol.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

You don't run into any issues of over-stabilizing with 1/8".

A lot of people get wrapped up with 100yd groups, but I look at 100yd groups as a necessary evil to zero and do initial accuracy testing.

I prefer something tighter myself, but 1/9" is fine for 20" in the Grendel as long as you hit the speeds.

After all of AA's testing, they went with 1/7.5" for anything 18" and shorter, which really does work even into ELR.

For 20", they use 1/8.75" or 1/9" twist.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Agreed with the 100 yard groups, thats why I like to zero at 200, I dont handload at the moment so factory rounds is what my current barrel and the future replacement barrel will see for some time.

With my current 6.5 I have done all possible in my power to get all the accuracy I can get from it with parts and by lapping the reciver and bedding barrel,gas block, gas tube, improved trigger and my best shooting skills and it does shoot very well but not to my standards with factory ammo.

Thats why im in the market for a saami spec chamber and figured I would give a 9 twist a try since I have no plans to ever shoot pills weighting more then 123.

But from the looks of things I may just have to go 8 twist due to the fact I dont find any company making a (saami chambered barrel) 20 inch with a 9 twist. Other then AA and they only sell it as a full upper.

Thanks for all the info LRRPF52

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

If your heart is set on a 20" barrel with 1 in 9 twist, get the Shilen barrel from Midway. For all intents and purposes, it's a SAAMI chamber with the compound throat. The specification for the initial throat angle is very slightly steeper than SAAMI. Very slightly.

My barrel came headspaced with an Alexander Arms bolt.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Yea I have looked at them a few times, what would you say your average group at 200 with factory ammo is Drillboss.

Bye the way the name Drillboss is that because you a rig tool pusher if you dont mind me asking.

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

My back pasture just gives me 100 yds to play with and I haven't shot the factory stuff for groups that often, but I'm calling it 3/4" for 5 rounds at 100 yds.

And no, I wasn't pushing tools. I was drilling manager for an operator that was running up to 30 rigs, back when things were good.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Cool thanks for that bit of info Drillboss, and I hear you on when things were good I work offshore oil and gas construction and it has gotten really bad.

Comment

• 300rum
                    Unwashed
                    • Feb 2016

I have a 20" Krieger on the way from Precision Firearms and it's a 1 in 8. All of there barrels they offer that I can see are from 16" to 24" are 1 in 8 twist. That's enough to make me believe that's the sweet spot for the Grendel.

Comment

Working...
                    X