Worth paying extra for AA 6.5 Grendel hard use bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Worth paying extra for AA 6.5 Grendel hard use bolt?

Only $14.30 more for the hard use bolt. If there is a noticeable difference I don't mind the minimal up charge. Is it a must go with over the lower version?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

It has an ion bond surface deposition treatment to it, and the lug opposite the extractor is relieved with a cut to help balance the lugs out.

I have one that I haven't used yet, and have built uppers for others with them before.

My older AA bolt on my 16" Grendel is still trucking along for 7 years now, and I don't just go and plink occasionally.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ahillock
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Thanks LRRPF52. The Alexander Arms website product description is lacking, but I assume both are made from 9310 steel?

Comment

• Drift
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

It's my understanding that the hard use bolt is no stronger than a standard bolt. It will however tolerate heat better. So if you are shooting fast enough to really heat up the rifle .. its probably worth it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The hard use bolt will resist surface fractures more than a parkerized bolt will, since it has the ion bond treatment.

It also has the balanced lug design with relief cut on the opposite lug of the extractor, so that will help with bolt life.

Parkerizing, by nature, creates microscopic cracks all over the surface, which is why there is a matte texture to phosphate surface treatments.

I personally am just ordering the hard use bolts, even though I have had no issue with any of my bolts.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bill Alexander
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2015

Hard use was used to describe this bolt as it is designed to absorb a much higher round count. I feel the design is a significant improvement and am looking to transition all my bolts to this type.

I did not want to imply that the bolt could be used to run hot loads.

Comment

• ahillock
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
              Hard use was used to describe this bolt as it is designed to absorb a much higher round count. I feel the design is a significant improvement and am looking to transition all my bolts to this type.

I did not want to imply that the bolt could be used to run hot loads.
              Thank you for the reply. Do you have a quantitative number or percentage to compare the two. As in x,xxx more rounds or x% longer life typically?

Comment

Working...
              X