• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Buffers

I went to a gun shop today to look into some parts for my upper build I've been working on and the guy working there pretty much said my lower sucks. I did buy a lower parts kit from psa and was on a budget but was looking for something functional I could upgrade later. I have a standard buffer tube and spring and he was pushing me hard to upgrade to https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php
    Does anyone use these and have any thoughts?
  • Kinganuthin
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

Meh.. Good for subsonic suppressed, like 300 blackout..
    I would, however, jump up to H2 or H3 buffer. Maybe a chrome silicon spring to take out some noise.

Comment

• Kinganuthin
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2016

What lower did you get?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
        I went to a gun shop today to look into some parts for my upper build I've been working on and the guy working there pretty much said my lower sucks. I did buy a lower parts kit from psa and was on a budget but was looking for something functional I could upgrade later. I have a standard buffer tube and spring and he was pushing me hard to upgrade to https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php
        Does anyone use these and have any thoughts?
        you do know his job is to sell you expensive stuff right..... the only part of a standard lower parts kit that i would say actually sucks is the trigger... and even that is kind of subjective to intended use, if you are running an a2 tube with rifle buffer i see no real advantage to getting the jp silent capture 140 buffer spring deal

i looked into the jp silent buffer long and hard as the noise of a buffer screeching down the tune actually bugged me quite a bit but ended up going with a tubb flat wire recoil spring after reading several reviews and opinions on the subject off buffer noise and honestly for $24 my problem was solved, but my problem was not a functional issue, functionally there was no issue and the lower was put together from a kit from model1sales so probably the cheapest stuff available....

that said all the parts in my lower other than the trigger(replaced with geissele hi-speed match) and the tube flat wire spring the guts of my lower are still the cheapest parts available

if you want to put a meaningful $140 into your lower wait for the geissele g2s to go on sale usually happens a few times a year around national holidays next one will probably be over memorial weekend or forth of july http://www.midwayusa.com/product/949...wo-stage-matte

and if your running carbine buffer an h2 or h3 buffer with the flatwire spring wouldn't be a bad idea but again not necessarily necessary first man the gun work then change the trigger and you will probably find the only things left you want/need to do to the gun are cosmetic
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
          you do know his job is to sell you expensive stuff right..... the only part of a standard lower parts kit that i would say actually sucks is the trigger... and even that is kind of subjective to intended use, if you are running an a2 tube with rifle buffer i see no real advantage to getting the jp silent capture 140 buffer spring deal

i looked into the jp silent buffer long and hard as the noise of a buffer screeching down the tune actually bugged me quite a bit but ended up going with a tubb flat wire recoil spring after reading several reviews and opinions on the subject off buffer noise and honestly for $24 my problem was solved, but my problem was not a functional issue, functionally there was no issue and the lower was put together from a kit from model1sales so probably the cheapest stuff available....

that said all the parts in my lower other than the trigger(replaced with geissele hi-speed match) and the tube flat wire spring the guts of my lower are still the cheapest parts available

if you want to put a meaningful $140 into your lower wait for the geissele g2s to go on sale usually happens a few times a year around national holidays next one will probably be over memorial weekend or forth of july http://www.midwayusa.com/product/949...wo-stage-matte

and if your running carbine buffer an h2 or h3 buffer with the flatwire spring wouldn't be a bad idea but again not necessarily necessary first man the gun work then change the trigger and you will probably find the only things left you want/need to do to the gun are cosmetic
          +1...Well said!

Comment

• lbbf
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2015

If I ever walked into a shop and someone who worked there told me my stuff sucked I would never grace their door again. I did have someone tell me I wasted my money on a decent barrel when I bought all that cheap crap to go with it. We went to the range the next day and he spent the whole time we were getting set up telling me that he would show me how a real gun should shoot. He fired of a 1.25 inch 5 shot group and was as excited as could be. Then he didn't even have the courtesy to stick around to see me finish my 0.3" group. :-) I still haven't talked him a year later. He won't respond to my invites to go shoot again.
            AERO Percision Blem Upper and Lower
            Rock River lower parts kit with single stage trigger(I've since upgraded it.)
            No name charging handle
            Seekins Precision BCG
            Rock River Varmit 20" heavy barrel
            Nordic componets hand guard
            Brunton scope.

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

I use the Jp AR-15 Silent Captured Spring assys in both of Grendels simply because I couldn't tolerate the spring noise of the standard recoil assy and willing to pay to get rid of it. I enjoy shooting them MUCH more now. I am old enough and ornery enough to not put up with minor irritations that are easily corrected.

Comment

• Jagorrell84
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2016

I also use the JP SCS in my Grendel and absolutely love it. Its inside of a Magpul UBR Stock. I do like that I can tune it along with the adjustable gas block for absolute efficiency. It is quite quieter than my buddy's who has the normal spring. I am building my Wife a .223 Build right now and am also going to be using the JP SCS in that. I am a believer.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

the tubb fit wire spring is also very quiet compared to the stock coil spring which would actually give me a head ache since i was using a pro and actually running a cheek weld

i think the jp sis is a awesome product but i certainly don't think a lower which does not possess it is junk a good trigger on the other hand.....

Comment

• Holyfather12
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2016

what do you guys recommend for a buffer? I intend to mount a Luth-AR A2 length stock on it.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Holyfather12 View Post
                      what do you guys recommend for a buffer? I intend to mount a Luth-AR A2 length stock on it.
                      If the Luth-AR stock has an A-2 rifle buffer tube I'd use a rifle length spring with rifle buffer. The noise of the standard spring never bothered me. I guess I'm really getting to be old school but I like the standard AR-15 fixed A-2 rifle stock and the six position collapsable M-4 stocks.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

i use standard rifle buffer with tubb flatwire spring

Comment

• am4966
                          Chieftain
                          • Jul 2014

Tubbs Flat wire, Wolfe springs take some of the boing out of the system. Id have no problem using one with a spikes H2 or rifle buffer and a rifle spring. My next couple builds I'm not sure if I'm going to use a Jp scs system or tubbs and H2. Just depends on funds.

However I have a Jp scs in my sbr I got it used for less so that's a plus. Also sign up for sales emails from DSG Arms they have them on sale a few times a year for 110.00 or so.
                          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                          X