• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

What's a good fairly lightweight stock?

I don't need something crazy light or expensive, just want something decently light weight for a build. Possible to find a good stock around 8 ounces or +/- 1-2 ounces?
  • leopard6.5
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

ahillock: For my lightweight build( 5 lb. Grendel build) I used the ACE Skeleton buttstock(ARFX). It's the one with the foam cheekrest. I don't know what it's actual weight is but it was the lightest I had found.

I usually use Vltor stocks for the extra battery storage and it felt lighter than the Vltors.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

Lee

P.S.- On their website they don't list the weight of the ARFX buttstock but their Ultra Lite Stock (AR-UL) is listed at 5oz.
    Last edited by leopard6.5; 04-21-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Kinganuthin
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2016

one of the lightest on the market. Locks good and tight. is suprisingly tough. Can be found pretty cheap on ebay and other retailers.
      Not as light as ATI newest, but i was not impressed with that one.

Comment

• leopard6.5
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2016

Just a note: The Mission First Tactical buttstock is listed as a commercial buffer tube. Is it also available in a mil-spec version? I couldn't find one on their website.

Lee

Comment

• Slappy
          Warrior
          • Feb 2014

Minimalist and Hogue, I just can't get over the fact I do not like the way the Minimalist looks. Other than that I am sure they are fine. The hogue for a full size stock they are lite!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Jakal
            Warrior
            • May 2014

Take a look at the Rock River Arms A2 operator stock.
            Rock River Arms, Inc. offers a complete line of American made, custom built AR15 style rifles.
            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Younger
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

I really like the Hogue OverMolded Collapsible Stock. It is quiet and solid. Multiple swivel and sling mounting points. Did I say quiet? My guess it weighs 8 oz.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I have one of the Mission First Tactical Battlelink stocks.

The MFT BattleLink is about $50 & 6 oz.

I added a 550 cord Cobra Weave and it looks quite nice. Only added another 1.5 oz.

Last edited by NugginFutz; 04-22-2016, 01:03 AM.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Some of the lightest, affordable stocks:

BCM Gunfighter

Magpul MOE SL

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lightning8
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2015

I have a Mission First Minimalist - my favorite collapsible stock. I like the ACE Skelton rifle stock too - have one on a 6.5G. I got a deal on a Lancer carbon fiber fixed stock - like it too.

Comment

• Nick
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

Luth AR has stripped versions of their fixed and collapsible stocks. Both fairly priced and weigh around 9 ounces. What's nice about them is you can add riser later if you decide you need it

Comment

• 65Whelen
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                        I have one of the Mission First Tactical Battlelink stocks.

The MFT BattleLink is about $50 & 6 oz.

I added a 550 cord Cobra Weave and it looks quite nice. Only added another 1.5 oz.

I agree with Futz. Great buttock, light weight, nice snug fit and no rattling.

Comment

• ahillock
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by leopard6.5 View Post
                          ahillock: For my lightweight build( 5 lb. Grendel build) I used the ACE Skeleton buttstock(ARFX). It's the one with the foam cheekrest. I don't know what it's actual weight is but it was the lightest I had found.

I usually use Vltor stocks for the extra battery storage and it felt lighter than the Vltors.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

Lee

P.S.- On their website they don't list the weight of the ARFX buttstock but their Ultra Lite Stock (AR-UL) is listed at 5oz.
                          I assume you are using the full-size ACE Skeleton? Midway has it listed at 10.9 ounces, a but heavier than I would prefer.

Comment

• ahillock
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

Luth-AR Skullaton
                            Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist stock
                            Hogue OverMolded Collapsible Stock
                            Magpul MOE SL

All of those look like great options. Thank you guys.

At this point, might be leaning the Hogue or Mission First Tactical route. I assume at this point the differences comes down to aesthetic preference as all of them should perform well?

Comment

• leopard6.5
                              Bloodstained
                              • Feb 2016

ahillock: Yes I used the full size ACE Skeleton buttstock. I never weighed it at the time( or since I guess) but it felt lighter than my other buttstocks and I wouldn't notice the difference between 8oz. and 10oz. on a 5lb. rifle.
                              I was afraid, at the time, that if I went too light the balance of the rifle might not feel right. It ended up being just a tick under 5lbs. and I was happy with that.

It sounds like you're going to end up with a great build and it should be fun.

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X