• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Adjustable Gas Key

Has any one tried one of these that go onto the bolt carrier? I was wondering how well they worked compared to an adjustable gas block?
    Last edited by Joseph5; 05-19-2016, 06:02 AM.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Yes, I did. Posted results here.

Adjustable Gas Key

Search is your friend!
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

Piston and the new well not so new adjustable carriers (Gemtech) seem to be getting the job done also. BANG BANG!!

With either one of these you just flip a knob.
      Last edited by Slappy; 05-19-2016, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
        Yes, I did. Posted results here.

Adjustable Gas Key

Search is your friend!
        So it's been a year later, hows it going? What about being able to turn the key, is it hard as heck did to carbon?

Thanks
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

Thank you for the post, I do not know how I missed them, I get on here daily which was why I didn't do a search before posting. I didn't think I had missed anything.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Joseph5 View Post
            Thank you for the post, I do not know how I missed them, I get on here daily which was why I didn't do a search before posting. I didn't think I had missed anything.
            Don't worry about it. It probably escaped your attention because you weren't "keyed in" >cough< to the topic, at that time. Besides, I just like saying the phrase "Search is your friend".
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
              So it's been a year later, hows it going? What about being able to turn the key, is it hard as heck did to carbon?

Thanks
              Still tossing brass at 3 o'clock. I'll pull the carrier tonight and see if the screw still turns.

Comment

• majohnson
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2016

I've been interested in them as well. How using a gas key be any or much different then an adjustable gas block? My LMT has a factory block that isn't replaceable, which is the reason for my interest in the adjustable gas key.I would think that cleaning periodically would prevent it from locking up. Count the number of turn to set it, you should be able to repeat the adjustment.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

My Sun Devil came with their adjustable key. I haven't moved because it is set just right.
                  NRA Lifer

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Got to looking at the key a bit later than I had hoped. The short of it is this: After approximately 500 rounds, the key was successfully turned with minimal effort. The lock screw backed right out, exposing the adjustment screw. The adjustment screw resisted enough that I could not easily move it using the short handle of the allen key, but switching ends allowed me to first move it inward, and then back it out. No obvious erosion or destruction of the screw, but I did not use a scanning electron microscope to verify this.

Since I had the BCG out and partially broken down, I dropped it all into my ultrasonic cleaner. Eight minutes later, everything looks new and clean as a whistle. I was able to return the adjustment screw into the key to its previous position, based on the turns it took to remove it. Next range trip will confirm the function, and whether to adjust it further.

Comment

• jurassic
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

I gotta get on of these.

Comment

Working...
                      X