Who's got a Short + Heavy barrel Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccasanova
    Warrior
    • Mar 2016

Who's got a Short + Heavy barrel Grendel?

I'm still dialing in my 20" precision rifle which weighs 12#+ scoped and isn't exactly nimble. However, it has almost 0 recoil, less than my 556/223 middy. Thinking about a Grendel with adjustable stock + short ~14.5" but still heavy/bull barrel for my wife and kids. Anybody running something similar? Use would be deer/hog hunting under 200 yards. Probably top with a fixed 6 power scope to keep things simple, point and shoot.
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

I use a TC Encore with an 18" barrel with no taper from the .999" dia breech and to the .999" dia muzzle.

The recoil is low enough that the rifle could be a lot lighter, making it easier to carry. You can calculate recoil intensity here: Velocity Estimator. You get the recoil calculation by first using the estimator to calculate the probable velocity for your load and barrel length and then entering the all-up rifle weight in the box at the bottom right of the form followed by clicking on the "Calculate Recoil" button.

The value added by a muzzle brake for the Grendel may not be enough to make a difference. You can infer this by looking at the fraction of recoil velocity and impulse generated by the powder. The brake will operate on less that 25% of the powder.

Here is the recoil output table for the example in the link:

18 Firearm Weight (lb): 6.00
    Free recoil energy is 8.6 ft-lb. (11.7 Joule)
    FACTOIDS:
    Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 10 ft/sec. (2.9 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 6.00 lb gun from a height of 1 feet.)
    The free recoil velocity is gained in only 0.06 in (1.5 mm) of travel
    Recoil impulse is 1.8 lbf-sec (8 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 35 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• ah1whiskey
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

i've got a 14.5" saber with a pinned FH for 16" even -- its m4 and its very light -- it does have a fairly heavy optic on it -- a 16oz 1-4x

recoil is very light -- about like 223-- maybe a bit less -- i think it does have a heavy buffer that i was running in a 7.62x39

to me the 6.5s seem smoother than the 5.56 ---

Comment

• keystone183
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

FWIW, i have a 12" medium contour with a 4-12 vortex and a very light suppressor on it. Also run the jp lw carrier and have the gas turned down. recoil is not as light as it is on my 20", but it is pretty tame. Much less than the .257 bob my wife used to shoot....

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          18 Firearm Weight (lb): 6.00
          Free recoil energy is 8.6 ft-lb. (11.7 Joule)
          FACTOIDS:
          Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 10 ft/sec. (2.9 m/sec)
          (This is equivalent to dropping the 6.00 lb gun from a height of 1 feet.)
          The free recoil velocity is gained in only 0.06 in (1.5 mm) of travel
          Recoil impulse is 1.8 lbf-sec (8 Newton-sec)
          Powder gases generate about 35 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity
          What?
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
          X