• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClichedUsername
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

Blackwood Arms Side Charging Upper

Hello all,

I thought I would share this in the hope that someone finds it useful.

I used the old side charge upper thread to begin doing research on this option. One of the companies that manufactures these is Blackwood Arms. On their website, they only offer a complete Side Charging Upper Receive with a 5.56 bolt.

At 9 PM local time, I emailed the Blackwood Arms manufacture to inquire about purchasing one of their uppers without a bolt. I also mentioned my interest in developing this as a 6.5 Grendel project.

Within 20 minutes I had received a response. Blackwood Arms will not be able to do custom orders, but this fall they do “anticipate adding a 6.5 side charging upper, and a line of AR10/SR25 uppers for .308 and possibly a .338.”

I then inquired if the new 6.5 upper would be at a similar price point to their current offerings. The prompt reply: “Less ��, the next gen of uppers will no longer feature the ultra expensive nickel boron bcg which currently makes up half the price of the upper. Also the old anodize was a very expensive 4 step process that in all honesty was over kill. We hope to have the new price point between $350-$375.”

I asked my contact, Mr. BeGole, if it was okay to share that information on this forum. He said yes and to please “let them know we have a sale going on for OEM MIl-Spec bolt carrier groups for $85 this month.” Hey... if I am going to shill, might as well go all out

There are not many reviews of Blackwood Arms products. Maybe one of y'all with more technical knowledge will bug them and ask if the bolts will be “SAAMI-certified” and other questions.

Thanks to lilharcher for the initial research.
  • schrödinger's cat
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

I just spoke to the owner, he sounds like a great guy ! I really like it that the bolts are 9310 and are HPT and MPI all for $85. He confirmed that he is trying to have a cheaper upper out in about two months. He asked me what I thought about the 6.5 Grendel bolt and I told him that many of the members here will definitely want the sammi true Grendel bolt (although I have a BHW barrel that I think will shoot as well or better than many of the saami barrels) it really is a super cool looking upper and I can't wait to get one for my Grendel. Now I just have to find a 9310 7.62x39 bolt for a decent price.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Either this or Crosshill Technologies side-charger with a rear gas-plug is on my wish list for a dream build.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2015

Crosshill went belly-up. This guy has the longest production time of any side charging company.

Comment

• ClichedUsername
          Bloodstained
          • May 2016

My original dream build was a left ejecting 6.5. The only manufacturer I found of a true left handed bolt appears to be out of business too. I think I will go this route now.

Comment

• keystone183
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
            Either this or Crosshill Technologies side-charger with a rear gas-plug is on my wish list for a dream build.
            BFT....don't know if it is applicable, but if you are running suppressed, don't get an ambi side charge. Have an ambi crosshill........and shooting suppressed sucks because of the blowback. I know what if feels like for lefties now!!

Comment

• arnie
              Warrior
              • Nov 2013

I see no reason you couldn't buy the 223 side charging upper and put a 6.5 barrel on and just change the bolt t the 6.5 .

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2015

No difference. But if you are buying the upper for a Grendel you may as well save the money and not buy another bolt.

Comment

Working...
                X