• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • henschman
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

What is the lightest profile 6.5G barrel available? Preferably CMV

I'm looking into building a 6.5G for hunting and DMR duties and am wanting to keep it light. I'm of the opinion that most barrels are unnecessarily heavy -- Even my lightest pencil profile 5.56 rifles will shoot roughly MOA with my hand loads, which is plenty of accuracy for my purposes. What are some lightweight options? Preferably a CMV barrel (so as to allow for the lightest possible profile). Are there any 0.625" gas block barrels out there in 6.5G? I'm considering one of the group buy barrels from Faxon, but would prefer a lighter profile. Maybe I would be better off waiting for Faxon to come out with their own barrels in 6.5G. I'd appreciate any ideas.
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

The Grendel seems to invite light rifle discussions!

First question is the longest range you in tend to do serious shooting over.

The second question addresses the bullets you plan to use.

Answers to those questions might take you to an 18", a 16" or even a 14.5" barrel. The shorter barrels will be lighter and stiffer.

There were a couple of threads or more touching on the lightweight rifle in this forum. I don't remember if they were beforenthe mist recent hack bitnyou might get lucky.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I cant say I have seen or heard about any grendel barrels that are .625 the whole length of the barrel and Im just going on what my barrel weights but I think the lightest might be the light weight 18 inch from JP.

My barrel is .650 under the handgaurd and .750 at the gas block and .740 to the muzzle if im remebering correctly and its got a 1.8 twist, a search of JP's website can give that info for sure.

Dont remember the exact weight but seems like I read one time it was like two pounds or just under two pounds.

There may be others that are lighter but im not sure

I hope this info helps sir.
      Last edited by A5BLASTER; 08-04-2016, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

J&T Distributing sells the DS4 M-4 profile 6.5 Grendel. They sell chromemoly and chrome lined barrels 1:9 twist with CAR length gas tube. Alexander Arms sells their light weight 16" fluted Stainless Steel barrel. Alexander Arms used to sell a mid length 16" light weight chrome lined barrel. It was rumored PSA sold the same barrel and was rumored to be made by FNH in SC. Olympic Arms is into selling 6.5 Grendel and I've seen a few 16" barrels listed for sale on gunbroker.

I'm sure Precision Firearms, Lilja or Black Hole Weaponry could turn out a light profile 16" 6.5 Grendel barrel.

This complete upper from Alexander Arms might give you some ideas.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-04-2016, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

I don't believe a Grendel barrel's been produced that used a 6.25 gas block. Who knows if Faxon will ever produce one? Get in on the group buy; the barrels are inexpensive. You can use it now and sell it if Faxon comes through with a profile you like better.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Slappy
            Warrior
            • Feb 2014

Group Buy, there are a couple left and at a 700 profile those are pretty lite. The price is right so do not delay!!?? Follow the instructions on page one. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• henschman
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              J&T Distributing sells the DS4 M-4 profile 6.5 Grendel. They sell chromemoly and chrome lined barrels 1:9 twist with CAR length gas tube. Alexander Arms sells their light weight 16" fluted Stainless Steel barrel. Alexander Arms used to sell a mid length 16" light weight chrome lined barrel. It was rumored PSA sold the same barrel and was rumored to be made by FNH in SC. Olympic Arms is into selling 6.5 Grendel and I've seen a few 16" barrels listed for sale on gunbroker.

I'm sure Precision Firearms, Lilja or Black Hole Weaponry could turn out a light profile 16" 6.5 Grendel barrel.

This complete upper from Alexander Arms might give you some ideas.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp..._Assembly.html
              Thanks... that Alexander Arms 16" Incursion barrel looks like basically what I'm looking for. It appears they don't sell just the barrel though -- I'd probably have to buy the whole upper. $685 actually doesn't look like that bad of a deal if you add up the value of the parts; but it always seems like a waste to buy a complete upper just to take it apart and switch out the things I don't want, like the handguard and gas block. Also it has the annoying 9/16x24 muzzle thread pitch. Silencerco does make an ASR flash hider in that size for my Omega, but I already have an extra one sitting around in 5/8x24!

Black Hole's pencil profile is nice, but they don't offer Grendel barrels in it. The lightest they offer is basically the same as the group buy barrel.

I've seen some good results posted from the Lijla wasp barrel, but it's about the same profile as the group buy barrel too. Though honestly if I was going to go stainless, that is probably about the lightest I'd want.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Just pick one, or, get both!

I prefer SS. bbls. More rigid, less rust issues. Less cleaning issues also. Rifling in the tube seems to last longer also,,,

No need to oil the bbl., for long term storage either. Just sqeaky clean it, then stow it.

Hanka & I are to try my melonite coated tube in 5.56 tomorrow, piston driven idea. I will take small vids- pics.
                My goal ,is to try and place the new Faxon tube into the upper. Think people, really? Same system, same gas block diam. Should work out.
                Last edited by sneaky one; 08-06-2016, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• dammitman
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

alexander arms sells just the barrel, 16" and fluted, its pretty light. and its only 200 bucks,,,,,

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

If money is not an issue, the lightest will be Christensen Arms or ProofResearch Carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Buy em while you can. Keep a spare in the safe. It's good to have choices now.

Those carbon fiber wrapped bbls. are really nice.

The lightweight SS. tube I bought last year-16" AA, is pure pleasure for a walking gun. 6.0 lbs., with a red dot reflex sight. Hanka & I shot it yesterday- 81 grn Gmx's @ 2996fps. It gives up nothing as a lethal hunting machine.

AA's fluted 16" unit would have been my first choice , otherwise.
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 08-07-2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2016

6 lbs sounds really appealing! Wow, 3K fps, now that's where I like them to be! That's 90% of a 243 launching 80 grainers at 3300 which is what I do with Federal off the shelf. Otherwise Barnes 85 @ 3200. Nice to know you can get there, but I'll likely be going heavier with the G.
                        My head is exploding with options....I gotta just make the leap. If the Faxon group buy is still going, I may jump in.

Comment

• RogueNathan
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                          I don't believe a Grendel barrel's been produced that used a 6.25 gas block. Who knows if Faxon will ever produce one? Get in on the group buy; the barrels are inexpensive. You can use it now and sell it if Faxon comes through with a profile you like better.
                          That's a good idea...

Problem is the front threads. If one puts on 5/8x24, it requires a .750" gas block to leave material for a shoulder and suppressor.
                          The Director at Faxon Firearms.

Please send us an e-mail anytime! Nathan.S@faxonfirearms.com

Comment

• henschman
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2016

That makes sense, and explains why AA's LW profile CMV barrel uses a 9/16 muzzle thread.

I can live with a .750" gas block, but would really like to see a lighter profile barrel than anything that is currently on the market...

I ended up getting the Faxon group buy barrel, as it appears to be the closest thing to what I want that is currently available; but I hope that when they start selling their own that they offer a lighter profile option. Something like a gov't profile taper from chamber to gas block journal, and 0.6" from there to the muzzle thread shoulder. I have a 6.8 SPC barrel from PSA that is basically that profile, and it makes for an awesome light weight hunting setup.

Comment

• BoxofRox
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                              If money is not an issue, the lightest will be Christensen Arms or ProofResearch Carbon fiber wrapped barrels.
                              I don't think Proof makes Grendel Barrels yet, but the Christensen is right at 1lb 11oz for an 18". It's definitely not thin though, .936" gas block.

Comment

Working...
                              X