X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Consensus is it is cheaper to use 6.5 Grendel brass. A Friend gave me a few 7.62X39 brass which I fire formed into 6.5 Grendel brass. The brass holds less volume of powder compared to 6.5 Grendel brass and use large rifle primers. The primer pockets will not hold primers after very few reloads. I use my FF X39 brass if there is a likelihood I'll loose my brass. If your considering buying new 7.62 X39 brass to fire form your going to loose money compared to using 6.5 Grendel brass. I've found it is more cost effective to buy new Hornady A-Max or SST ammo and save the brass compared to buying virgin Hornady brass at retail and hand loading.

Comment

• Mindreader1
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

Very astute point! One more side question on the reloading - what brand/model of equipment do you use? Would like to stay under 600$ for reload equipment all together.
      Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      Consensus is it is cheaper to use 6.5 Grendel brass. A Friend gave me a few 7.62X39 brass which I fire formed into 6.5 Grendel brass. The brass holds less volume of powder compared to 6.5 Grendel brass and use large rifle primers. The primer pockets will not hold primers after very few reloads. I use my FF X39 brass if there is a likelihood I'll loose my brass. If your considering buying new 7.62 X39 brass to fire form your going to loose money compared to using 6.5 Grendel brass. I've found it is more cost effective to buy new Hornady A-Max or SST ammo and save the brass compared to buying virgin Hornady brass at retail and hand loading.

Comment

• Mindreader1
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

Also i think i was off on the cost comparisons. Jp's barrel kit for 687 includes their enhanced bolt, adjustable gas block and tube and their comp which would reduce the actual barrel cost down to high 300s if you use their retail pricing for the parts. Anyone know what the barrel weight is for the medoum contour grendel?

Comment

• RicosRevenge
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

No idea on the weight or even if the medium contour is still available. But that is a HELLUVA deal if they will package it at that price.

If you order from JP I highly recommend that you call the order in. It is the fastest and easiest way to order form them and the guys you will talk to are good dudes that know their stuff.

Comment

• Mindreader1
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

Yep - definitely gonna call them to order tomorrow. I think the med profile is only 0.3 lb more than the light so probably doesn't make a big difference. Has anyone tried to use a different lightweight carrier with the JP enhanced bolt? I kinda want to retain the forward assist option...
            Originally posted by RicosRevenge View Post
            No idea on the weight or even if the medium contour is still available. But that is a HELLUVA deal if they will package it at that price.

If you order from JP I highly recommend that you call the order in. It is the fastest and easiest way to order form them and the guys you will talk to are good dudes that know their stuff.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mindreader1 View Post
              Very astute point! One more side question on the reloading - what brand/model of equipment do you use? Would like to stay under 600$ for reload equipment all together.
              I'm using a RCBS Rock Chucker press, 10-10 scale and uniflow powder dispenser I bought in the early 80's. I first bought the Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies and later bought the RCBS 264 LBC SB TC dies on sale cheap. I've mostly used RCBS dies over the years and I just like their reloading dies. I guess I'm just more familar with RCBS dies but both work. A Friend has several Dillion progressive loaders but for low volume rifle rounds I prefer my single stage press. There are several threads on this forum regarding reloading equipment and it boils down to personal choice and your budget.

I'm currently retired so I have the time to reload. If you don't have the time or room for the reloading equipment you can reduce your shooting cost by purchasing ammo online by the case and selling the once fired brass. If you only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year it will take a few years to off set the cost of buying loading equipment. The factory Hornady 123 grain A-Max and SST are very accurate in my two 6.5 Grendels. With Alexander Arms, Precision Firearms and Federal also selling 6.5 Grendel ammo a person doesn't have to reload to enjoy the versatility of the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                Warrior
                • Jan 2016

I also use a Rock Chucker press. They are awesome and you can find them used once in a while or I also know that every now and again the RCBS kit goes on sale at Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc... and all you will "need" is a good set of dies. But once you get in you'll start looking at Powder Throwers and Case Prep stations and... LOL!

I don't shoot enough Grendel to justify my time loading for it (in my head) but I do load for another 6.5mm (6.5x47L) variant that I shoot more.

In my Grendel I shoot the Hornady SST 123s and it likes it enough to shoot well.

Comment

• Mindreader1
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2016

Thanks Rico! I finalky pulled the trigger on the medium contour JP. The deal is too good to pass up and talked to Ben who said I might have gotten the last production medium contour barrel they sell. Comes with their large profile comp, the js8 gas block and the enhanced bolt all for 699 shipped. Don't think I'd have gotten a better deal elsewhere. I am slightly scared that my kmr won't fit with it though but i think it'll fit. Once i get the captured spring and lmos carrier itll be a sweet setup. Hopefully i wont regret the accuracy though i see the lilja fans have made a strong come back in the polls!

Comment

• ricsmall
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mindreader1 View Post
                    Thanks Rico! I finalky pulled the trigger on the medium contour JP. The deal is too good to pass up and talked to Ben who said I might have gotten the last production medium contour barrel they sell. Comes with their large profile comp, the js8 gas block and the enhanced bolt all for 699 shipped. Don't think I'd have gotten a better deal elsewhere. I am slightly scared that my kmr won't fit with it though but i think it'll fit. Once i get the captured spring and lmos carrier itll be a sweet setup. Hopefully i wont regret the accuracy though i see the lilja fans have made a strong come back in the polls!

With everything I've seen from jp, you won't regret it.

Richard
                    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Mindreader1
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2016

Is this lock n load set from hornady any good? They have a dale on it right now http://www.cabelas.com/product/Horna...12&WT.tsrc=AFF

Comment

• Fredman
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Press? Check below.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Mindreader1
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2016

Liljas making a strong comeback! Wish i could have gotten in on that group buy...

Comment

Working...
                          X