• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARdeerslayer
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2016

Zeroing the new "Boomstick"

Hey fellas. Finally got my new barrel back from Odinworks. Gotta say I was bummed about the recall, but they were easy to deal with and apologetic so we can move on.

What distances do most of you zero your Grendels in at? I set mine up to be 1" high at 100yds. Max range for me with it to hunt deer with will be 400yds... Avg ahot distance roughly 250-350, but could be closer.... Thanks for the help guys!!!
  • RicosRevenge
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

100 yards on every rifle I own whether having a BDC or not.

With a 100 yard zero a 400 yard shot (with my rifle) is 9 3/4" of elevation (although I use Mils) with yours it is 8 3/4". So why bother with a 145-ish yard zero?

Comment

• ARdeerslayer
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by RicosRevenge View Post
      100 yards on every rifle I own whether having a BDC or not.

With a 100 yard zero a 400 yard shot (with my rifle) is 9 3/4" of elevation (although I use Mils) with yours it is 8 3/4". So why bother with a 145-ish yard zero?

Yeah I was thinking I would make it 2" at 100 or just zero at 200 and be done with it. My local range only allows for 300 yard shooting. Plenty of open country here in ND tho so I can find a place to stretch her legs...

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Do you still adjust for range with that zero?

I say this because I cannot see that working as a PBR (Point Blank Range) beyond 250yds. The Grendel is not a flat shooting round and the drop between 250 and 350 will be about 16". Total drop at 350yds is 20". For 400yds the drop is 30". If you aim at a deer at 400 yards using a 1" high @ 100yds zero (51yd/162yd zero) the round will have dropped 31 inches - you will miss. Anything beyond 250yds will be a wounding or miss.

If you are shooting PBR then for a vital zone radius of 5" the zero is;
        28yds = zero
        100yds 4.4" high
        269yds = zero
        Maximum PBR is 316yds.

I zero at 100 and adjust for range encountered.

Notes
        Data for a 123SST @ 2,500fps.
        Ref: JBM Ballistics.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

The challenge all too many of us have is that most public rifle ranges go out to only 100 yards.

I like to shoot clay pigeon-size targets for practice. Also, I do like being able to hold point blank beyond the ~150 yards implied for this size target when zeroed to aim point at 100 yards. I have also discovered that the 1.5" high at 100 yards recommended by a bunch of commercial target makers works well for a lot of cartridges and loads.

The 1.5 inches high at 100 yards gives a "clay pigeon" point blank range of at least 200 yards for 130 grain and lighter bullets in my 18" Grendel. After that it is the holdover game using one's favorite techniques. My view is that most game at 200 yards is either settled enough to allow needed adjusments in holdover or it is already moving fast enough that an ethical shot is not feasible.

A more extensive discussion is available at http://shootersnotes.com/articles/zero-for-hunting/
          Last edited by JASmith; 10-04-2016, 12:27 AM.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ARdeerslayer View Post
            Hey fellas. Finally got my new barrel back from Odinworks. Gotta say I was bummed about the recall, but they were easy to deal with and apologetic so we can move on.

What distances do most of you zero your Grendels in at? I set mine up to be 1" high at 100yds. Max range for me with it to hunt deer with will be 400yds... Avg ahot distance roughly 250-350, but could be closer.... Thanks for the help guys!!!
            What scope do you have? That will be a major factor in deciding which zero to use.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• nimitzman
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by ARdeerslayer View Post

i would not take a shot at game beyond 300 yds with this cartridge. not enough energy beyond that range for clean kill by most hunting standards. my 50 yd zero puts me 4" high at 100

Comment

• nimitzman
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2016

You sir have proven my point. also your zero will work best for most deer encounters in the woods at ranges this round will excell

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  I say this because I cannot see that working as a PBR (Point Blank Range) beyond 250yds. The Grendel is not a flat shooting round and the drop between 250 and 350 will be about 16". Total drop at 350yds is 20". For 400yds the drop is 30". If you aim at a deer at 400 yards using a 1" high @ 100yds zero (51yd/162yd zero) the round will have dropped 31 inches - you will miss. Anything beyond 250yds will be a wounding or miss.

Notes
                  Data for a 123SST @ 2,500fps.
                  Ref: JBM Ballistics.
                  Dammit... looked at the wrong 6.5mm on my app. That was for my 6.5x47 light load. Thanks for correcting Klem.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by nimitzman View Post
                    i would not take a shot at game beyond 300 yds with this cartridge. not enough energy beyond that range for clean kill by most hunting standards. my 50 yd zero puts me 4" high at 100
                    Most of us should indeed not attempt shots beyond 300 yds with any cartridge, no matter "how powerful."

With respect to the Grendel, several bullet and barrel length combinations will result in appropriate wound channel size out to well-beyond 400 yards, with some out to 600 yards.

Again, the challenge is range estimation, wind doping and all the other uncertainties that suggest almost all of us keep our shots under 300 yards.
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• ARdeerslayer
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2016

Thanks for all the input guys. New to this cartridge. No idea what to expect out of it. Hence the post. I ppreciate all the help and comments.

For the record the scope is a 4-12x44 Bushnell. No mildots or anything. Just straight crosshairs. It is my hunting rig and if I do ever feel like stretching it out for targets more than 300 or so, I would just Kentucky windage it. NOT AT AN ANIMAL, just a target

Comment

Working...
                      X