• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Les
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

To buy or build.....

That's my question. I have an existing lower with a 5.56 upper, the 6.5 upper would be used for Deer (SW Ne) Coyote (E Ne.) and hopefully someday Hogs. Not looking for match accuracy per say but it'd better shoot moa or I'm not going to own it long. It will be suppressed (Omega) I've been considering barrel lengths as well, hoping to not have 26-28" hanging off the front as it will be used as a truck gun as well. I've been hanging around here perusing every thread possible, lots of good info. I'm leaning toward a 16" and fairly light and looking to not break the bank. Opinions?
    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

I guess it depends on what you want on it. Hard to beat the AA 16" lightweight upper for $680. (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp...ete_Upper.html)

I built my first Grendel using that barrel and it will shoot sub-moa with factory SST's.

My second build will be using the Faxon 16" from the group buy.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Most hunters on the forum seem to be pretty happy with a 16" tube. Just an FYI...the AA barrels are threaded 9/16x24. Something to consider when suppressing.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• diddlyv
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

I've got right at $500 in a bolt, barre,l gas tube, gas block and flash hider
        Right at 100 in an upper and charging handle.
        $70 in the Key mod 15 inch free flot

so in many cases a complete upper can be a bargain.
        I also bough a barrier defense complete upper for 479. After about 130 rounds today I shot a sub moa 4 round group with factory hornady 123 SST

Look around if you find something that excites you go for it. You can always seek input on a particular barrel or complete upper.

THe horde is not bashful and are willing to express opinions and in my experience willing to share and help a newb
        Queen of Battle
        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Rickc
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Yep

Only reason I build them myself is it is so much fun!

Comment

• thedave1164
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2016

Building gives you the option to get exactly what you want instead of settling for what someone else decided to group together.

The AA is a good value if it is configured the way you want it, but if you customize it, it goes up quick.

Comment

• Les
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

I have a line on a complete upper thats an Anderson upper and 16" barrel and BCG, some generic keymod rail (owner says it came from amazon doesn't remember who's) Hornady dies, non-adjustable gas block, 50 pieces of brass and a strange looking flash hider. He claims it shoots MOA with handloads, wolf not so much. Price $525 What's the experience of the Horde?
              Last edited by Les; 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

I would try to find out whose barrel and if it is true SAAMI chamber..

Comment

• Les
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

He claims it's an Anderson barrel, upper, BCG, gas block and tube, sorry I didn't make that more clear from my previous post and from Anderson's website hard to tell if it's SAAMI or not, just seems too good to be true.

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

I talked with Anderson today and it appears that what's being called the Grendel I chamber has a compound throat, but with a 0.295" neck. They don't chamber the barrels themselves and can't disclose where they get the barrels.

Comment

• Les
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

So it's like buying a "pig in a poke", I did read in one of the upper reviews on their website, one of Andersons people responded to accuracy questions as 1.5MOA from factory. Guess I should keep looking.
                      Last edited by Les; 10-13-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Les View Post
                        He claims it shoots MOA with handloads, wolf not so much.
                        I would suspect that with enough practice and patience, you coul find a handload to shoot MOA from any piece of pipe. That's not really that impressive for the Grendel that many standard, run of the mill barrels will do with factory ammo.

Maybe I got lucky, but I have gotten sub-MOA groups with factory SST's from my AA 16". Wolf 120 MPT were about 1" and Wolf steel about 1 1/2".

Upper $50
                        AA Barrel $195
                        ALG M-Lok handguard $100
                        Adjustable gas block and gas tube $120
                        BCG w/bolt $150

Total $615

Comment

• Frank45
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                          Yep

Only reason I build them myself is it is so much fun!
                          +1 I enjoy doing the research and figuring out exactly what I want. I have gone the complete upper route as well with a couple of 5.56 builds and while happy with them I won't do it again.

Comment

Working...
                          X