• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pkk
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2015

Building a new upper after a hiatus

Hello All. I bought and then sold a Radical Firearms 6.5 a while back. I really liked the rifle, but it was very long (24" barrel), and I bought it with money I didn't have. Like you've never done that

But I want to build an upper this time and take my time doing it. My plan is getting a barrel and bolt from AR Performance. Here are my questions:

1. What do you all think of ARP barrels in 6.5? I know they rock in 6.8.

2. What length barrel would you consider optimal? I have a .223 wylde in 18" and love it. I would be willing to go with 20 if that's better. What say you? 18 or 20? I know its only 2 inches, but still would like your advice.

3. 68forums has a lot of really good reloading data on the 6.8. I have seen super awesome performance using that data. Where could I find data like that on the 6.5? I have reloading manuals, just looking for some web data. I really want to see what I can get out of this round.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • pkk
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by pkk View Post
    Hello All. I bought and then sold a Radical Firearms 6.5 a while back. I really liked the rifle, but it was very long (24" barrel), and I bought it with money I didn't have. Like you've never done that

But I want to build an upper this time and take my time doing it. My plan is getting a barrel and bolt from AR Performance. Here are my questions:

2. What length barrel would you consider optimal? I have a .223 wylde in 18" and love it. I would be willing to go with 20 if that's better. What say you? 18 or 20? I know its only 2 inches, but still would like your advice.

3. 68forums has a lot of really good reloading data on the 6.8. I have seen super awesome performance using that data. Where could I find data like that on the 6.5? I have reloading manuals, just looking for some web data. I really want to see what I can get out of this round.

I think I found it. is it ammoguide.com?

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

With Ammoguide.com you found I believe the largest source of Grendel reloading data. IIRC over 600 loads available assembled from many sources including this forum and lots of work from the writers of the Grendel guides that are available at http://www.ar15buildbox.com/ .
      Last edited by kmon; 10-10-2016, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• keystone183
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by pkk View Post

Regarding ARP, this has come up before.... To say they are disliked around here (among other places) would probably not to the feeling justice. They may be great barrels, i don't personally know. One think i am pretty sure of though, is they aren't using the sammi spec chamber. I wouldn't buy one.

As for barrel length, you probably just need do decide what you want to do with it, and out to how far. I rarely ever shoot my 20" and instead almost always carry my 12.5". I like the weight reduction and length suppressed. But, it does pay the penalty in speed. So, just consider the tradeoffs.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Welcome!

I too would avoid anything arp. May be good stuff but the owner doesn't display the kind of attitude that makes me do business with that type.

There are sticky' sin the ammo and reloading section. Lots of info there to glean thru.

Stick with saami chambers and .135 bolt face depth (no matter what it's called) and you will be fine.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• pkk
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
            Welcome!

I too would avoid anything arp. May be good stuff but the owner doesn't display the kind of attitude that makes me do business with that type.

There are sticky' sin the ammo and reloading section. Lots of info there to glean thru.

Stick with saami chambers and .135 bolt face depth (no matter what it's called) and you will be fine.
            I have a 20" triad SS with the 3r rifling from arp in 6.8 and it's awesome. I was about to give up on 6.8 because I couldnt get anything out of it. I went with the arp barrel and the data on the 68forum site and I was literally seeing an increase of almost 200 fps. AND far more accurate over my former barrel. I love mine. I havent had it for long, but so far I'm blown away by it.

But thats why I asked. I understand the 6.5 isnt the 6.8.

That said. could anyone recommend a good barrel in 6.5?

Comment

• keystone183
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

What budget? Precision firearms is good.......wait times seem to be running long. Lilja is good, pricey. BHW has good barrels, price is good, non-saami chamber. There are others, but those are the three i have experience with and would recommend.

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

I like my Odin Works barrel, it is a .264 lbc chamber straight taper vs compound taper sammi throat. They shoot well and are $405 with BCG (nitrited) with gas block (adjustable $54 upgrade for set screw about $10 more clamp on)
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

Working...
                X