• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boondoggle
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

Done with local gunsmiths

Don't know if this is the place to post this so mods please move as needed.

To keep this as short as possible I'm not a gunsmith nor do I consider myself an "expert" at gun modifications/repairs. But I've got a good bit of experience with handguns including a Glock a Sig certified armorer back 2006 and did a good bunch of work on the M-4s we used when I was with an LE agency.

With that in the last 2 years I've used a local gun shop/gunsmith twice. First was installing a set of sights and trigger parts in a Glock 19 Gen 4 (connector, striker spring, etc.) I didn't have the right tools and really wasn't set up with a vise to do a proper job so I took it to a local gun shop. I go to pick it up and the bill is almost $200!! $80 for the sights, $70 for the trigger parts and then a highly over priced entire box of Blazer 9MM to test fire two rounds.

Fast forward to today. I have my group buy 16" Faxon barrel that I'm swapping onto my .300 BLK upper. Again no vise (I know..) and with a good vise and the a barrel nut wrench and other tools I figured I have $200 in it so I went to a different shop a buddy recommended. I give them the BLK upper with the handguard off and give them the barrel, gas block and gas tube. No muzzle device other than the thread protector already on the barrel. Good news was I'd have it in a few hours. I go to pick it up and the bill is $165 "discounted" to $125!! The wrote down $60 to install the handguard!! It's four screws! It was all I could do to not loose my mind but I paid it and left never to return just like last time.

I get needing a little extra installing someone else parts but these to shops have lost my business forever and everyone I can tell about them. I don't know if they think they're preying on the ignorant or what and again I understand folks need to make a living but why you'd take a chance on hosing someone who knows a little bit about the job to be done is beyond me. I was thinking $50 would have been fair and wouldn't have whined at $75 but $125 is ridiculous.

Anyway needless to say I'm buying a vise and the tools to work on everything I have and have learned my lesson well.

At least I can shoot the new build and barrel tomorrow.
  • Threefeathers
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2016

I'm very anxious to do exactly what you are doing.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

It is common practice to charge $50 to completely disassemble and assemble an AR in my neck of the woods. Like the Glock the AR is an easy firearm to customize and work on. Get a vice and quality tools and you will enjoy the process that is as easy as servicing your vehicle. With the internet there is no shortage of instruction.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Sometimes its a tough call. I hate to buy expensive tools for a job I may only do once in my life. How many Glock sights am I likely to install? One, maybe, if I ever decide on a make. AR tools are a different story though; I always seem to be tinkering with them.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Harbor Freight is my second favorite place for tools and equipment. Got a great bench vice for less than $60. Single most useful item on the work bench, next to a ball peen.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• diddlyv
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

Used my nieces husband he had a vise and reciever block and a bench block. We installed all pins in lower and installed barrel in upper class clamping vise to bench. He loaned me his ar tool and the vice block that fits mag well. My buffer assembly had not arrived when we did rest of lower and the barrel hand guard and flash hider. I sandwiched the mag well block between two 1x4s and c clamped to table. Worked fine for tightening castle nut. Actually 1st time I used a tool. Normally tap tight with a punch. Point being if you are not cutting chambers and head spacing bolts none of this article stuff is too difficult. A LGS should not rip off folks. Burn me you never get another Nickle. Treat me right I will throw some bones your way even if it is only $25 transfer fees. Not much work involved with ccw permit. Don't even have to make call
            Last edited by diddlyv; 10-15-2016, 05:13 AM.
            Queen of Battle
            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

I don't know how anyone gets by without a good vice LOL. I installed all of my Glock sights with a socket head and brass punch, not very difficult.

Comment

• dammitman
                Warrior
                • Dec 2012

i know getting the sights off a springfield 1911 longslide was more than i wanted to do without a proper sight removal tool that a person i knew had. but and here is the big butt, i asked what the cost would be, total, before getting the work done and agreed to the cost. the few times i just handed over the part to be worked on and then got the bill i did like you, didnt complain but learned a lesson and never went back.

Comment

• Boondoggle
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
                  i know getting the sights off a springfield 1911 longslide was more than i wanted to do without a proper sight removal tool that a person i knew had. but and here is the big butt, i asked what the cost would be, total, before getting the work done and agreed to the cost. the few times i just handed over the part to be worked on and then got the bill i did like you, didnt complain but learned a lesson and never went back.
                  I should have learned that lesson too. Both times the person that took it in wasn't very knowledgeable beyond how to fill out the work ticket. If there ever is a next time I'm talking directly to the person doing the work. Just wish it was a less expensive lesson.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

When I bought the night sights for my Springfield XDS at the LGS, he asked if I had it with me (of course I did). He said he could put them on. I asked how much. He said it was included in the purchase price.

Comment

• Flyguy11
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                      When I bought the night sights for my Springfield XDS at the LGS, he asked if I had it with me (of course I did). He said he could put them on. I asked how much. He said it was included in the purchase price.
                      That's what mine told me also.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

We used to charge $25 for barrel swap/replacement/install in a shop I worked at.

I do as much of my own work as possible nowadays on everything, especially the AR15.

Only things I outsource are machining operations requiring a lathe or mill, like chambering, fluting, profiling, etc., and my list of trusted people has not grown much in decades.

Good people who do top notch machine work:

AA
                        ADCO
                        Precision Firearms
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Boondoggle
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          We used to charge $25 for barrel swap/replacement/install in a shop I worked at.

I do as much of my own work as possible nowadays on everything, especially the AR15.

Only things I outsource are machining operations requiring a lathe or mill, like chambering, fluting, profiling, etc., and my list of trusted people has not grown much in decades.

Good people who do top notch machine work:

AA
                          ADCO
                          Precision Firearms
                          That's my new program for sure. Really appreciate the machining recommendations

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

AA doesn't normally do custom work like that, but they are good at it nevertheless.

ADCO has quick turnaround, does things as asked.

PF does great profiling, fluting, and dimpling work too.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rickc
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2016

First thing I will say is you should know what the cost are up front. Sounds like other than the price you were happy with the work. If you didn't like the price they quoted you then you wouldn't have had them do the work.

Personally I love doing my own work. Know my limitations though. When things don't turn out according to plan can't blame anyone but myself.

I would never do any job that required me to deal with the public. From my limited experience most folks out there are good common sense consumers. But there is a segment out there that you couldn't satisfy if you shot the salesman, gave them their money back and gave them the product too! I just don't have the temperament for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X