• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonny rotton
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

what barrel????

i have a chance to get a custom barrel from a very high end manufacturer. what should i get? i already have a aa 16" fluted that shots lights out. i am thinking about maybe an 18" barrel with rifle length port. what twist should i ask for?? it will be super light weight.
    suggestions??
    oh, i also have a 11.5" lilja barreled shorty that i love.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

18" won't give you anything speed-wise over 16" in practice.

Maybe consider a 20" or 22"?

Will it be for target, hunting, or maybe both?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1911man
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
      i have a chance to get a custom barrel from a very high end manufacturer. what should i get? i already have a aa 16" fluted that shots lights out. i am thinking about maybe an 18" barrel with rifle length port. what twist should i ask for?? it will be super light weight.
      suggestions??
      oh, i also have a 11.5" lilja barreled shorty that i love.
      I recently had this same question and after some research and reflection I purchased a 22" criterion bull barrel from PF. Can't wait to shoot it in 8 weeks or so.

Comment

• jonny rotton
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

it will be for target and long range sniping wantabee. how much extra distance will i get going from 16" to 20 or 22". i have gone to three long range classes now with just the
        16" AA fluted barrel. i did very well to 800 yards. after that it seemed to drop off a lot. i just put a leupold vx6 1x-6x scope. i absolutely love it.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Me personally I'd go with a 22", but if your just going to do bench or prone shooting and no Hunting, Then you might want to consider a 24"-28". Bwaites has a long barrel on one of his Grendel's. So I'd have dialog with him or Lrrpf52, imo.

Do you mind telling us who's going to do the work, what chamber and barrel mfg? Chance they could get more work unless it's just a 1 of.
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

If you start leaning towards the ultra-long barrels in the ar15 chassis, past 24", you might also want to consider a short barreled AR10. An 18" AR10 shooting the 260Rem or 6.5Creedmore will give you more velocity than a 24" AR15. It will also be better balanced and more compact. It might even be lighter. Of course there are other factors like recoil, cost and simply wanting to stick with the AR15 chassis.

Comment

• Rickc
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

I have a 26" Kraiger on my 6mm grendel. Shoots consistent quarter inch groups at 100 yrds

Grendel is the most you can get out of a ar15 platform.

Just my opinion but if you are going to step up to the .260 or Creedmoor it should be a bolt gun. Buy a Savage.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                Warrior
                • Aug 2015

Since you already have a 16" with a low power scope, something I consider a carbine, I'd want a 20-24" to fill the role of your rifle - a true long range gun. Especially since you're going with a high end manufacturer. You can go with a fixed stock like the PRS and a high magnification scope. Then you can truly fill the role of "long range sniping wantabee." That barrel length will squeeze the velocity potential out of the Grendel and you should be supersonic to 1200yrds. You mentioned that it will be a lightweight barrel though, you may want to consider a medium profile instead for this type of build.

Comment

Working...
                X