• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justified
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2011

Sabre Defense upper issues

My Grendel is a Sabre Defense 16" M4 profile upper on a Rock River lower. Lower has the RRA match trigger with standard weight buffer with a collapsible stock.

I have two issues:

1. The chamber is very tight. When I try to clear a loaded round it is almost impossible to eject it. My 5.56 RRA upper has no problems ejecting a loaded round.

2. The rifle is marginally reliable with Hornady or Wolf ammo. It has both feed and ejection problems. I'm going to get some new mags (I have C-Products now). I cleaned the chamber and made sure it's lubricated. I have about 300 rounds through the rifle.

Any suggestions? The Upper is very accurate and I've been a fan of AA products for a long time.

Dave

I have a 16" tactical upper from AA. I believe the barrel was made by sabre defense, too. It has the same issues as yours and has been back to AA twice. Hornady ammo is very tight in the chamber....sometimes requiring "mortaring" the rifle to extract an unfired round from the chamber. AA performed some chamber work to get it working better. It is still tight, but functional. When firing, it doesn't have any problems ejecting the hornady ammo. I don't like the tight fitting hornady cases, but I may have to live with it this way.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

One of the disadvantages to chrome lining barrels is that it doesn't take much to be off a few thousandths and have these kinds of issues.

Dave, does it fire AA Lapua loaded ammo without cycling issues?

Comment

• jwilson1985

that y all of ours are nitrited its hard to get ppl to understand y ..but think about chroming a bumper no way you can get it even which decreases accracy and barrel life is not as long .im with bill i think its a chroming issue

Comment

Yes......my barrel had a wave of chrome in the chamber according to AA.

Comment

• justified
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2011

Haven't tried any ammo but Wolf 120 MPT and Hornady. Will try reloads and AA next.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

• Bronz
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2018

My saber 14.5 has only had steel case ammo through it. Runs like a top

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Cough...cough nine year old response.

Comment

• Bronz
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2018

Didn’t see the date, still the truth.

More a reflection of the sight. Didn’t have to scroll down far to find the question

Comment

Working...
                  X