• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrazy-Chris
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Wilson 20" Fluted Barrel from JSE

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has tried out this barrel and what their results have been?

• 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Never heard of Wilson arms but thats a good looking barrel and a fair price.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Wilson and ER Shaw were 2 of the biggest barrel makers in the US through the 2000s.

I'm not sure if that's true now.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

OP here - For any interested, I ended up ordering that barrel and it came in lase night. The fit and finish look excellent. It installed without a hitch. The only thing left to be desired installation-wise was that it didn't have any dimples for the gas block, but I can live with that and in some cases I'd prefer it that way. I was pleasantly surprised by the weight - I was expecting it to feel heavier. It has nice deep fluting. I installed it by using Brownell's upper receiver lapping tool which worked like a charm and I "bedded" the barrel using the loc-tite 271 trick. I put several coats of Rustoleum high temp engine block paint on it which was a first for me - it stuck very well and went on easy. It was supposed to be black but it is more of a gray which is fine with me. It's a very matte finish. It'll be a few weeks before I can publish a range report. JSE surplus had incredibly quick shipping times and their website worked very well for tracking the shipment. Just note that all their orders go out with a signature required on delivery.

I did some additional research and found that these are the barrels that go into Rock River Arms rifles. Personally, I've known RRA rifles to be very accurate especially for the price. I have high hopes for this build - my first Grendel!

The paint is drying all day today but I'll be doing the final assembly this evening and will follow up with photos.

Comment

• SG4247
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

I have shot many many Wilson barrels in ARs. They are excellent, at very good price points.

Won an AR Steel Plate championship in 2013 with one as well.
          NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• 1911man
            Warrior
            • May 2015

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
            OP here - For any interested, I ended up ordering that barrel and it came in lase night. The fit and finish look excellent. It installed without a hitch. The only thing left to be desired installation-wise was that it didn't have any dimples for the gas block, but I can live with that and in some cases I'd prefer it that way. I was pleasantly surprised by the weight - I was expecting it to feel heavier. It has nice deep fluting. I installed it by using Brownell's upper receiver lapping tool which worked like a charm and I "bedded" the barrel using the loc-tite 271 trick. I put several coats of Rustoleum high temp engine block paint on it which was a first for me - it stuck very well and went on easy. It was supposed to be black but it is more of a gray which is fine with me. It's a very matte finish. It'll be a few weeks before I can publish a range report. JSE surplus had incredibly quick shipping times and their website worked very well for tracking the shipment. Just note that all their orders go out with a signature required on delivery.

I did some additional research and found that these are the barrels that go into Rock River Arms rifles. Personally, I've known RRA rifles to be very accurate especially for the price. I have high hopes for this build - my first Grendel!

The paint is drying all day today but I'll be doing the final assembly this evening and will follow up with photos.
            Awesome! I cant wait to see your range report and I am so jealous because I am still waiting on my AA barrel and my PF barrel that probably wont be in my hands for another 5+ weeks. Its so hard to wait!

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
              Warrior
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
              Awesome! I cant wait to see your range report and I am so jealous because I am still waiting on my AA barrel and my PF barrel that probably wont be in my hands for another 5+ weeks. Its so hard to wait!
              I understand where you're coming from - I had a barrel ordered with AA and ended up cancelling it for this one because I wanted to have my rifle put together in time for deer season. I was originally going to go with the 16" AA Lite but I think I'll be happy with the 20"

Comment

• arnie
                Warrior
                • Nov 2013

My last build was a 223 with a Wilson Arms barrel and before I installed it ,I put my new bore scope in it and that barrel was flaw less inside .Not a single machine mark ,not even radial rings from the chamber reamer . Shoots 80.5 Berger's at 500 meters very accurately .

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

Got her all assembled. Looking forward to providing a range report!

Before painting:
                  2016-11-06_08-53-46 by Chrazy-Chris, on Flickr

After:
                  [IMG]DSC05551 by Chrazy-Chris, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

Man that is a good looking set up. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

Comment

• Casswick
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2024

I was about to put an order in for this very barrel and bolt combo from JSE surplus. Curious if there is any update on the quality and accuracy of the 20in barrels by Wilson. Its either this or the Faxon match barrel for the price point and options im looking for.

Are these cut or button rifled?

20″ Wilson Arms 6.5 Hbar Stainless Steel NOTE: This barrel DOES NOT include sight tower, barrel nut or hand guard cap. NOTE:DOES NOT include a gas block.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

Wilson arms' barrel spec is generally really good. It will be a matter of quality of chambering I would think that will determine how good it will shoot.

Button rifled, and then lapped for gauged to ensure no more than .0002" runout in bore concentricity.

White oak armament uses Wilson arms blanks for their in-house brand of barrels
                        Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-06-2024, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X