• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roo_ster
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

AR15 in 6.5Grendel Questions

Howdy:

I have been reading up on your forum and have learned quite a bit. I have some other questions to nail down before I, uh, pull the trigger on a 6.5Grendel build/purchase.

OBJECTIVE

Looking for a rifle for my relatively small wife and very small daughter to hunt hogs, deer, and other medium sized big game. I would appreciate any enlightenment.

QUESTIONS

1. Is there a good penetrating factory hunting load with something like a Nosler Partition?
    My main 6.5Grendel worry is the lack of a good penetrating hunting load to be had in factory ammo, like a Nosler Partition. My wife's favored .243Win load is a 100gr partition (Federal) and so far it has made a full pass-through on every critter shot, while doing good damage along the way through bone and softer tissue. Limited 6.5G case capacity seems to limit the utility of the monometallic bullets like the Barnes, Hornady GMX, etc., so little love there.

2. Are the modest 6.5Grendel velocities (assume 16" bbl) enough to get the various factory hunting loads to perform (terminally) at longer reasonable hunting ranges (say 300 yards, max)?
    .243Win loses a lot of velocity in shorter bbls and factory 100gr pills out of the Ruger Am Compact 18" bbl are moving ~2600fps ( http://rifleshooter.com/2016/04/243-...h-on-velocity/). Alexander arms claims ~2450fps from a 16" bbl with 120-129gr loadings (http://alexanderarms.com/images/pdfs...ballistics.pdf). Going from .243Win to 6.5Grendel does not seem like not too much of a loss, performance wise, in the bbl lengths under consideration. 6.5G has less velocity, but more weight in popular hunting loads. But I have no experience with 6.5G as I have with .243Win.

3. Alexander Arms: Good quality?
    Not sure I want to build my first 6.5Grendel upper, so am considering the AA lightweight 16" bbl upper (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp..._Assembly.html).

4. Subjective Recoil?
    I assume it is less than a .243Win from a bolt gun, assuming same rifle weight. My wife can manage .243Win recoil and still put the bullet where it needs to go.

BACKGROUND

Wife is 5' nothing, 100lbs if you stuff rocks in her pockets. She can shoot a Ruger American Compact in .243Win (6lbs, 18"bbl, 37" OAL, 12.5" LOP) when she uses a PAST recoil shield. Problem is, she is heavily left eye dominant, so shoots lefty...and that rifle only comes righty. So follow-up shots are a slow prospect, even without a shooting sling. Lefty bolt guns with 12.5LOP and 6lbs or less and OAL of 37" or less in .243Win-ish chamberings are limited to the Browning X-bolt Micro-Midas ($800-ish). Or a custom job (very expensive).

About the only centerfire rifle that fits my daughter (10YO, tiny for age) is an AR15 with 6-position collapsible stock, collapsed all the way. She can use that with a red dot and get on target. Daughter still too small for a compact short action bolt gun with a 12.5" LOP. Daughter can shoot a Crickett all day long.

AR15 is darned lefty-friendly, so wife will be able to shoot it easily, make a follow up shot quickly enough to count, use a proper shooting sling. It can be built at 6lbs or less (before optics) & 37" or less OAL (with 16" bbl). I own several AR15 lowers, so I have my eyeball on the Alexander Arms 16" lightweight upper (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp..._Assembly.html at $685). AA makes a basic lightweight rifle with that upper that comes in at 5.9lbs.

================================================== ====

[FTR, the Ruger American Compact is a whole lot of rifle for the money. My wife's is accurate with most of the 8 or so factory loads I tested. (The Federal factory load with the 100gr Nosler Partition was not the most accurate, but it was good and had the Partition.) Main downside of the Ruger Am Compact is the noodly forearm. It is not stiff enough and can cause flyers. The bbl is free float--until you rest the forearm on a sandbag out toward hte end or use a shooting sling. My son also shoots it well and I intend it to be his gun. I will stiffen up the forearm with carbon fiber shafts and epoxy or bedding compound. And slap on a couple picatinny rails to mount gun lights for hunting hogs at night. Of course, I am partial to Mauser actions and shoot a CZ550 my own self, but that Ruger American showed me inexpensive rifles can shoot.]
    Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
    ----Horace
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

My barrier defense 16 inch barreled upper shoots Factory hornady 123 SST at 2435 FPS, that rifle with a 13 oz Leupold AR MOD 1 3-9 x40 scope is 7.8 lbs. As a point of reference my 20 inch odin works barreled rifle shoots the same ammo at 2525.
    I got the BD upper for $479

Recoil is minimal the AR buffer also moderates what recoil there is.

6.5 bullets being long for caliber have a reputation for excellent penetration. Hornady SST, Nosler Barns or any of the many copper bullets will provide excellent penetration. You may want to check out the thread on the 118 grain hollow base or the 95 grain lehigh.

I know not about alexander arms quality but other threads here praise the quality and accuracy
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by roo_ster View Post
      Howdy:

I have been reading up on your forum and have learned quite a bit. I have some other questions to nail down before I, uh, pull the trigger on a 6.5Grendel build/purchase...
      Your comments about ammunition choices surround factory ammunition only. Even so, the experiences of folks who reload give valuable insight into how well some of the factory ammunition will perform.

An excellent source of information about the value of the Grendel for hunting, especially for small statured shooters is Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook. There is an excellent introduction of the 6.5 caliber and the Grendel by Robert Stokes, a Boone and Crockett Hunter. Further, there are at least two chapters that address performance of bullets on game animals. The first gives recommendations of weight and type for hunting. The second provides results of ballistic gel tests that go a long way toward establishing the minimum expansion velocity for tested bullets. That velocity lets one know the maximum range one should attempt a shot.

The book also includes reports of successful hunters who are very small (8 - 10 year old guys and gals).

Second, look at the thread http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...328#post141328 . The most recent summary chart is on post #135 (10-15-16). You will see that the overwhelming majority of the animals where taken with 123 gr bullets. Reading through the posts will show that the 123 gr SST - available in factory ammunition, is the most common bullet and that it has a remarkably good reputation for good expansion and routine pass through on most game.

Should you reload, then the 100 grain Nosler partition may be an excellent go to bullet. There are lead free options one should look at as well. These include the 86 gr GS Custom, the 95 gr GS Custom and Lehigh Defense, the 100 grain TTSX, and the 107 gr GS Custom.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

This lady's husband told her to hang out at camp while he went out and looked for elk. After getting a few hundred yards away, he heard a shot, and ran back to camp to see what happened.

125gr Nosler Partition hand load

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• roo_ster
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          Your comments about ammunition choices surround factory ammunition only. Even so, the experiences of folks who reload give valuable insight into how well some of the factory ammunition will perform.

An excellent source of information about the value of the Grendel for hunting, especially for small statured shooters is Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook. There is an excellent introduction of the 6.5 caliber and the Grendel by Robert Stokes, a Boone and Crockett Hunter. Further, there are at least two chapters that address performance of bullets on game animals. The first gives recommendations of weight and type for hunting. The second provides results of ballistic gel tests that go a long way toward establishing the minimum expansion velocity for tested bullets. That velocity lets one know the maximum range one should attempt a shot.

The book also includes reports of successful hunters who are very small (8 - 10 year old guys and gals).
          Found them at the Alexander Arms website. Not currently hand loading, but have in the past and am familiar with hand loading. I will pick them up.

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          Second, look at the thread http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...328#post141328 . The most recent summary chart is on post #135 (10-15-16). You will see that the overwhelming majority of the animals where taken with 123 gr bullets. Reading through the posts will show that the 123 gr SST - available in factory ammunition, is the most common bullet and that it has a remarkably good reputation for good expansion and routine pass through on most game.

Should you reload, then the 100 grain Nosler partition may be an excellent go to bullet. There are lead free options one should look at as well. These include the 86 gr GS Custom, the 95 gr GS Custom and Lehigh Defense, the 100 grain TTSX, and the 107 gr GS Custom.
          OK, now you're talking my language. I found I shot more when I hand loaded, goaded on by the data I would collect and stuff into a spreadsheet. What a sweet chart:

Looking at that, 300 yards is the extreme limit of utility (probably due to some of hte following: user skill and/or self-imposed limits due to ethics & whatnot, opportunity, and round capability). Without the aforementioned reloading handbooks, I would bet 6.5G from a 16" bbl is viable to 250 yards with the appropriate projectile.

That is awfully helpful and something I did not see when I went diving through the various sub-forums. Much appreciated.

If/when I get back into hand loading, I will examine the Partition and some lead-free options like the Hornady GMX.

Originally posted by LRRPF52
          This lady's husband told her to hang out at camp while he went out and looked for elk. After getting a few hundred yards away, he heard a shot, and ran back to camp to see what happened.
          Pretty nifty.
          Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
          ----Horace

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

16" 6.5 Grendel with 123gr SST expands out to 375yds assuming a 2440fps mv and 59* F temp at sea level.

Page 13 of 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook Volume II has a nice chart showing different barrel lengths and effective ranges based on expansion for that bullet.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

125gr Nosler Partition hand load

That's a story that will be hard to live down...

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I know of one mule deer taken at 491 yards this year by a 10 year old girl shooting my handload of 120 grain Nosler BT. The deer dropped without a step.

The Grendel punches WAY over its weight class.

When friends tell me it isn't enough cartridge I ask them to go out to 600 yards and catch. So far, no takers.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Yes, Alexander Arms is good quality. Buy with confidence.
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

I'm in a similar situation. After weighing all the options, an AR15 chambered in 6.5G was the best option for a rifle that
                    a.)I love to shoot
                    B.)my wife and kids can shoot with confidence.
                    C.)terminally effective

Comment

• jim_bob
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2014

I think a 16" AA lightweight upper or complete rifle would be a good fit for your use case.

Comment

• roo_ster
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        16" 6.5 Grendel with 123gr SST expands out to 375yds assuming a 2440fps mv and 59* F temp at sea level.

Page 13 of 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook Volume II has a nice chart showing different barrel lengths and effective ranges based on expansion for that bullet.
                        OK, I think you convinced me to buy the books. Too much good data, it seems. I have shied away from books-on-paper in favor of e-books, but I think I need to make an exception in this case.

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        I know of one mule deer taken at 491 yards this year by a 10 year old girl shooting my handload of 120 grain Nosler BT. The deer dropped without a step.

The Grendel punches WAY over its weight class.

When friends tell me it isn't enough cartridge I ask them to go out to 600 yards and catch. So far, no takers.
                        I already own a scary accurate milsurp Swede Mauser in 6.5x55, so am familiar with the 6.5mm tendency to perform better in reality than paper says it ought to. But for the 6.5x55 to have a muzzle velocity down in the 2450-ish range, it is generally loaded with a 160gr pill in round nose form, versus the 6.5Grendel's 120-ish grain projectile.

Originally posted by Fredman View Post
                        That's a story that will be hard to live down...
                        "...hard to live down..."?

More like, "Hard not to brag up my wife to any and all."

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                        Yes, Alexander Arms is good quality. Buy with confidence.
                        I have not owned or handled anything by AA, so that is helpful to know.

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                        I'm in a similar situation. After weighing all the options, an AR15 chambered in 6.5G was the best option for a rifle that
                        a.)I love to shoot
                        B.)my wife and kids can shoot with confidence.
                        C.)terminally effective
                        Similar to my own criteria.

Originally posted by jim_bob View Post
                        I think a 16" AA lightweight upper or complete rifle would be a good fit for your use case.
                        That's what I was thinking, but it is good to check my reasoning versus folk who have hands-on experience. Because in theory, theory ought to get it right...but in practice, sometimes theory falls flat on his face. I am reminded what a buddy of mine said about the Dark Ages:
                        "Anarchy. It looked great on paper."
                        Regards,

roo_ster

----Horace

Comment

Working...
                        X