• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

18" Grendel update: Mega MKM, SIG Tango4 4-16x44

Update time!

My Odin Works 18" barrel continues to shoot factory 123gr SSTs and my Berger 130gr Tac Hybrid handloads very well. However, to add that last extra bit of stability and solidity I swapped out the generic M4 upper and MI 15" handguard for a Mega MKM extended upper/handguard unit. The handguard bolts directly to the specially-designed upper, making for a very rigid, strong rifle. Plus, this relieves the barrel nut of having to support the handguard.

I pulled off the RRA A2-length fixed stock - I just did not like the fixed LOP, especially when doing positional shooting. A Wolff extra power action spring and an H2 buffer allow the rifle to extract and eject reliably with my suppressor on and off.

I replaced my NF 2.5-10x32 mil/mil zero stop scope with a SIG Tango4 4-16x44 mil/mil FFP scope. So far, I'm happy with the exchange. I like the zero stop on the NF a bit better, but the zero lock on both the elevation and windage knobs on the SIG are useful. The SIG also has an elevation knob turn indicator and it's been easy to dial in diopter and parallax. No complaints on the SIG glass, although I am not really a glass guy.

There's a thread on Sniper's Hide about the Tango4 4-16x44 and two of the responses are from guys with the SIG scope on a Grendel... My rifle makes three Grendels using the same scope...

• jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

Nice rifle! Have your groups shrunk with the MKM swap?

Comment

• shooter545
      Warrior
      • Aug 2012

Nice stick! I love Mega, they build some awesome kit.

Comment

• m796rider
        Warrior
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by jim_bob View Post
        Nice rifle! Have your groups shrunk with the MKM swap?
        I just swapped to the MKM a couple of days ago and have not had a chance to shoot the rifle. I'm sure the accuracy won't be any worse, and am hoping for better.

Originally posted by shooter545 View Post
        Nice stick! I love Mega, they build some awesome kit.
        Mega does make great stuff. The machining on the MKM is beautiful; I'm particularly impressed by the handguard, which has been tumbled to remove all sharp edges without sacrificing dimensional accuracy on the rail and keymod slots.

Comment

Working...
        X