• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffreybehr
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Received my new Alex Pro Tactical Varmint 6.5 Grendel today

TYVM UPS and Alex Pro Firearms!

Retrieved it from my FFL this afternoon and, in spite of some of Phoenix's seasonal rains, I fired 40 rounds of Hornady A-Max123s to make sure the rifle works; it does.

Weighs 8 pounds 0.8 ounces bare and w/o magazine and 9 pounds, 6.2 ounces bare but with Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50 scope, about a pound, 6 ounces less than the AR308 it 'replaced'.

Barrel's no skinny thing, measuring 0.742" at the flashhider.

Have a bunch of handloads to take to Ben Avery tomorrow, weather permitting.

Sorry for the ugly pics; they're the best I could do tonite.
    Last edited by jeffreybehr; 12-24-2016, 03:39 AM.
    A shootist and reloadist for more than 50 years, this year with black rifles.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Good lookin' gun!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• jeffreybehr
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2016

TY; I too think so, but I think its 'predecessor', the LF308 with tungsten-anodized aluminum, looked better.

FWIW, I got to thinking about that weight and that the Vortex Diamondback 2-7X35 scope weighs less, so I robbed my Del-Ton of its scope and mounts and the Grendel lost 4.3 ounces.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Great looking rifle, be sure and let us know how it shoots at the range.

Comment

• Christopher67
          Warrior
          • May 2015

Sweet looking rifle, thanks for sharing!

Comment

• jeffreybehr
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Shot 17 groups of mostly reloads* today and got some very good groups and many not-so-good groups. The rifle is VERY comfortable to shoot recoil-wise, but the trigger is what I now believe to be typical of not-aftermarket-quality triggers, being varying degrees of gritty and WAY too long of pull. Velocity here we come.

The new Hornady factory loads, A-Max123s, had a larger average group size than that of any of the three bullets in my handloads, but the sample size is low. Have both SST123 and ELD123 factory loads on the way.

More development 'work' to do.

Last nite removed the Vortex 3-9X50 scope and installed the Vortex Diamondback 2-7X35 scope and lost 4-odd ounces to 9 pounds, 1.4 ounces as pictured--bare, no mag or caps.

* New Hornady brass, Sierra HP85s and MK107s and Hornady A-Max123s, with H335, 8208, BLC2, and W748.

Here 'tis tonite.

Comment

• Ed Baker
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Nice looking rifle. Reallly the handguard.....who makes it?

Comment

Working...
              X