• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geomcnasty
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Handguard?

I know I'm probably starting a huge debate here but my question is what makes a 225.00 handguard so much better than an 80.00. I've been researching this topic to death but for the life of me I can not find much to substantiate the higher costs. I've ways had YHM because I've always bought complete uppers that were built for me. I am now building my first upper and want to spend money in the right places. Just trying to get some opinions as to what you use and why.

Thanks
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I bought a Rousch Sports hand guard which is a key mod. This hand guard does everything required and I like the looks. I find it is just as comfortable as my Brother's Samson Evo. I can't brag that I got an ALG or Daniel Defense but my hand guard is of good design with top quality finish. I try to stretch my shooting dollars and I am more interested in getting a very good barrel, good trigger with good scope with mount. The pistol grip, hand guard and butt stock are not where I choose to spend much money. I'm probably one of the few people who like the A-2 pistol grip and M-4 style six position stock.

I'm retired so my firearms are more of a hobby now, will my hand guard withstand battle field conditions, maybe not. Doesn't matter to me but it would've worked fine on my duty rifle as a LEO.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-18-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• wraith1516
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

I got a cheap ass 15in keymod hand guard for $85 thinking it was Midsouth Shooters that I got it from but it feels just as good as my mega hand guard and actually slimmer and lighter unless it's some fancy ass pattern milled into it all you are paying for is the name

Comment

• geomcnasty
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2017

Thanks guys. I spent money on a good trigger (Geissele) a JP Barrel and I'm looking to go with the Eisenach side charge billet upper. Just can't see spending a fortune on a handguard that's gonna spend all its time at the range. Thanks for all the input.

Geo

Comment

• Nicaburns
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

I go cheap too... Handguards are just not a "mission critical" part of a sporting firearm in my view so I would rather apply that cost elsewhere

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Some have more machining in them which takes more time. More color options too. Usually the cheaper ones also have simpler barrel nuts. Country of origin plays a role, US employees don't work for peanuts like other countries.

That said I have a UTG Pro (made in USA) on one rifle, I was thinking of a Roucsh for my 6.5g but now that 15" zero round keymod from Smith Built looks intriguing...

Comment

• mdram
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

the smith build does look nice.
              i just cant get behind the keymod, i like the cleaner look of the mlok
              just some targets for printing
              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                the smith build does look nice.
                i just cant get behind the keymod, i like the cleaner look of the mlok
                Me too.

It ain't as cheap though.

Also forgot some have anti rotation tabs so the handguard can not physically rotate once installed. Kind of a nice feature. Neither the Roucsh or Smith have them (not sure how big of a deal they are?)

My UTG has them though.
                Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 01-18-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Name brand mostly will run your wallet dry.......
                  For me I will not own a quad rail, out dated cheese graters too many other options out now.

I like the new UTG Pro Slim line, made in the USA light with MLok, and they even come in FDE.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Another vote for the UTG Pro Slim line. Cut down some of the weight down on the weapon, too.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• wraith1516
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

So the consensus is unless you're making a showpiece don't spend your money on the expensive hand guard
                      Last edited by wraith1516; 01-18-2017, 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

• drewthebrave
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

These are all very interesting looking options. A lot of higher end brand names like KAC are "engineered for combat" and charge a premium based on that fact. I don't plan on taking my rifle to battle, so I can definitely see the appeal of these less expensive options if they work well.

I've heard very good reviews of the UTG Pro handguards, and would love to hear more first-hand thoughts on the Smith and Rousch options listed here as well.

Comment

• Nicaburns
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2016

My Smith arrives tomorrow... Don't get me wrong, I have "hard use" handguards on certain platforms but for "recreational calibers" I keep it cheap.
                          I have even used these three times with great success and they will accept best offers of $40!

Comment

• Bisley
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2016

Two more great places for reasonably priced gaurds. The ones I out on my 6.5 was actually ran over by an ATV tire (nephews, ugh) and never skipped a beat. Quick shipping as well.

Our objective is to build your AR 15 and AR 10 with Mentium handguards and M Lok rails at a fraction of the cost you would pay for big brand handguard, without quality compromise. Our M-LOK and KeyMod handguards use standard 1913 picatinny accessory rails allowing you to attach your favorite accessories. The free float handguards are from 7” to 15” in length, in black color and flat dark earth color from Cerakote's Elite Series,the most extreme performance thin film coating.

Comment

• geomcnasty
                              Unwashed
                              • Jan 2017

Thanks guys great info.
                              Geo

Comment

Working...
                              X