• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarkMajor21
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Looking to get a 6.5 Grendal upper.

Hey everyone, I am looking into getting a 6.5 upper and I had some questions.

1. I intend to mostly shoot the steel case wolf ammo and I was curious about its reliability in general? And I know that its also pretty dirty ammo, is it relatively easy to keep your gun clean as long as you are doing it after every session?

2. Do the ASC 25rnd mags feed well or are the 24rnd E-Landers that AA sells the only way to go?

3. I am also not sure what upper I want to get I would like to keep it under $700 and I was looking at these three uppers. From what I have heard the WPA(Anderson) upper is GTG. But I am looking at these other ones because the guy who builds them is local and I would like to support a fellow gun enthusiast if possible, of those two I am leaning towards the 18" odin works but I was curious as to how well the odin bolt and barrel would hold up to the wolf ammo.

Lastly, is it a bad idea to get into Grendel simply because ammo is cheap?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

To me the step up in performance is worth having the 6.5 Grendel over the 5.56/223 but I still have AR-15's in 5.56/223. I think Odin makes very good barrels. For the money the WPA looks pretty good if you really are going to shoot a lot of steel case ammo at 300-400 yards or less.

I don't think the Wolf steel cased 100 grain FMJ delivers consistent accuracy for longer range unless you like the challenge of hitting steel at distance on the cheap. I don't plan on shooting steel cased bimetal bullets in my Stainless Steel 416 R target barrel but have shot some in my two 16" 6.5 Grendel barrels. One barrel is 4150 Chrome Moley the other is chrome Moley Nitride Faxon Group buy build.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-05-2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• jim_bob
      Warrior
      • Jul 2014

I have not shot the wolf steel case, but now that I have my 16" Faxon upper built, steel case wolf is my next expenditure. I'm expecting to shoot it out of my 12" Faxon when they land too! I haven't heard anything bad about the wolf steel case, it seems to be as advertised.

I have some 25 round ASC mags, I haven't had any issues. I do prefer the Elanders though.

You could get an Alexander Arms incursion upper with your budget, I bet it would run wolf steel case like a champ!

Comment

• Nicaburns
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

Saw this site on slick guns but have no direct experience with them: They have several choices n your range.

Comment

• Red Dawn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Options are always good for comparing. Good luck.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• DarkMajor21
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

Thanks for the input guys, I am leaning towards the WPA Upper right now. @Red Dawn I did stumble across Hardened Arms when I was looking last week but I could not find anything out about them and was wondering if they were any good?

Comment

• Red Dawn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

I've got a few friends that shoot HA 7.62 and 556 and 300BLK with no complaints. I emailed HA when I was building my 16" and they quoted me $195 for the barrel only and said it was for the .136 bolt I went with another barrel manufacturer. Hope that helps.
              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

Working...
              X