• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Red Dawn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

6.5G Muzzle Device

First off thanks I found a new favorite rifle in the AR15 platform. I've put together a 16" carbine that's a ton of fun to shoot. I'm looking at getting the 18" Faxon barrel and it will primarily be used for longer distance target shooting. During hunting season I will try it out on whitetail and coyote. I'm curious what y'all thought about using on the end of the barrel. There are numerous options to choose from. Which device would you choose or do you use on your 18" barrel a brake, comp, combination, suppressor, FH or thread protector. Thanks for the help.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

You are the one that has to shoot it.

I have a plain old A2 birdgage on my 16" 5.56, I was planning on getting a surfire suppressor for my Mk12 - so it has a brake, and when my PF Neptune 8 gets here, it's getting fitted with a birdcage until my Omega gets out of NFA Jail (changed plans), then it will have a brake. Both my other rifles will be fitted with the ASR mount for the Omega, but still staying with a flash hider on the 16, and brake on the other.

It's all personal preference. If you do a lot of shooting with friends, a brake will make their shooting trip unpleasant.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Either an A2 with 5/8x24 threads, or a PF NOX flash hider.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Slappy
        Warrior
        • Feb 2014

These no washers, no timing just put it on. BANG BANG!!

The ODIN Works line of ATLAS Compensators. The most advanced recoil reducing system available. Choose from many different calibers.

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

If I hunted without ear protection, I'd want one of the devices that project blast forward like a KAK flash can.

Comment

• jim_bob
            Warrior
            • Jul 2014

I put an A1 birdcage on my 16", no need to time like an A2 because it is symmetrical! Hand tight with rokset, let sit for a day and you are good.

Comment

• brian y
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Slappy View Post

https://www.odinworks.com/category_s/1897.htm
              This works really well.
              NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

My woman got me a brake as a gift off of eBay for like 20 bucks, I figured what the heck I will try it out and to my surprise it works like really really good came with the crush washer as well.

Cant think of the name of the conpany that makes it but it has three side baffels and two angeled ports on top, check my old post for a pic of it if you want to see it.

Comment

• Nicaburns
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

Because my purpose is hunting, I am just using a thread protector. (Tried a couple of "linear comps" before I landed on the thread protector and the recoil/rise was no different so I figured why add the weight since the goal was lightweight for my build.)

Comment

• ahillock
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

VG6 Precision makes some of the best muzzle devices on the market. The Gamma 68 SPC is designed for 6.5 and 6.8 use.

Comment

• CCW
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2017

Ditto on the "sound forwarder" My big barrel absorbs enough recoil. The all steel black knurled "sund forwarder" with crush washer on E-bay works great, tapped 5/8 - 24"

Cheap too!

Comment

• Lightstrider
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2017

TruthAboutGuns.com did muzzle brake and flash hiding shootouts and the Precision Armament M4-72 in 223 and 308 beat 135 other muzzle brakes but was finally beat by the SJC Titan, you can get the Titan in titanium. The best flash hiding muzzle device was the JP flash hider but due to infringement issues raised by BE Meyers it's no longer available, the JP was only slightly better than BE Meyers 249F but for 6.5 you'd probably need the 240F.

The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...

The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...

M4-72 Severe-Duty® Compensator: Ultra-lightweight, reduces recoil by up to 75%. Enhances control and accuracy. Durable and heat resistant.

Titan, Glock, Competition, USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, 3 gun, Titan, Compensators, Rimfire, C-more, SJC, Pistol builds, AR15,Sight mounts, 3-Gun

That Odin Works Atlas sure looks badass though.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2016

I bought the vg6 gamma 68spc. I'm still waiting for the barrel to try it out though.

Comment

• Retro
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2016

Yep, I have one and love it. It also tames the recoil and muzzle rise.
                            Originally posted by Slappy View Post

https://www.odinworks.com/category_s/1897.htm

Comment

• Lightstrider
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2017

Originally posted by Jakegsxr11 View Post
                              I bought the vg6 gamma 68spc. I'm still waiting for the barrel to try it out though.
                              It should be a great brake, in 5.56 it reduced 63.96% recoil compared to bare muzzle, scored 10 out of like 65 and the best reduced 73% but we're talking very small distance of recoil movement anyways plus they said nothing beats it for how compact and light it is. I'm very interested in it but still considering the M4-72 brake that won all of the tests except the last but that SJC Titan brake is a beast I don't like the looks.

Comment

Working...
                              X