• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckysmash13
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

223 pmags to 6.5 grendel

I just bought a 20rd magpul Pmag, and converted it to run 6.5G. I cut the spring down and used a file to take down the follower. It will only run 10rd but I expect a 30rd mag with the same model will work.

Has anyone else done this?
  • ryeguy
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Not yet, but on my to do list. I'd sacrifice a 30 rounder on a try. Got pictures?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Yep check my past post and threads, their is a thread that's several pages long Sneaky has been modifying one.

Comment

• ryeguy
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2017

I just got through with a try. I cut 4 coils off a 30 round spring & took some off the follower so that it matched (for the most part) the profile on an ASC. I loaded 15 rounds into the 30 round mag. Same old story -- bulge limits to 5 or 6 rounds even with a weaker spring. Also had problems with follower tilt while stripping rounds out. I switched the 30 round cut spring & follower with one out of a 20 round mag. (20 and 30 round springs are the same size.) The hack job in the 20 round mag loads 5.56 easier and feeds well manually so it appears that nothing was lost.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Buckysmash13, What rounds were you useing in that pmag today.

Please post up some pics of what you did to the pmag to make it work.

Sneaky has been working out the pmag ten round to hold and function with five rounds.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Ryeguy, What rounds did you load into that pmag? Were they factory loads and if so was there enough oal in the mag for them to run properly.

Comment

• ryeguy
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

They were factory 123gr Hornady SSTs at 2.240 +/- .004 or so. They were a decent fit with a hundreth or two to spare and shouldn't have (but could have) been a factor with the follower tilt.

Just retried the modified 20 round mag with Wolf (~2.210"). Too tight in the mag well for more than 6 rounds. Hand stripped 8 rounds with the first 4 tilting down. The last 4 stripped cleanly. It appears that the top round drags the nose down on the round under it. That doesn't happen on commercial mags so it could be a high spot on the modified follower allows the short case to pivot but not the longer .223 case.
              Last edited by ryeguy; 03-19-2017, 06:10 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Ryeguy, thanks for the reply.

Maybe try instead of modifying the 223 follower maybe take a grendel follower and work it down to fit in the pmag maybe that would make it work.

Sneaky has gotten it to work, he is getting five in a ten round pmag, and feeding great and that fine for me because all I want or five round capable pmags for hunting and range work.

I'm glad to hear that the hornady factory sst rounds were fitting inside.

I truely belive we as a whole on this board can come up with the answer to making the pmag work.

Comment

• ryeguy
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

Hot dog! A degree of success. I took 3 more coils off and got 10 rounds to load in a 20 round mag. It made a snug fit in the mag well but it worked. Rounds were continuing to nose dive in the mag so I took a half coil (total of 7 1/2). That put more pressure on the front of the mag and cured the follower tilt. They all cycled through the action flawlessly except there wasn't enough pressure to activate the bolt stop. Next time I'd try taking off 6 1/2 coils. Now for some range time to see it it really works.

It would be fun to get 15 rounds in a Magpul 20 rounder.

The modified spring is on the right.

17-03-19 Magpul mod.jpg

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Not bad bro.

Prime example of being part of the solution.

ryeguy PM Sneaky if you already haven't and brainstorm with him about what you were able to make happen, we can get this to work if we all work together.

Comment

• Brett
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2017

OK, I'm still new to the Grendel. Are the Grendel mags scarce? I got the only 2 I have from ASC and they were in stock when I ordered them. Should I be buying more while they are available?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Never really had a problem finding asc mags for my grendel, I get mine from PF, they seem to always have some in stock, what capacity mags are you looking for 5,10,15,25.

Also AA sells the elander mags.

Comment

• Drillboss
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

I've got to ask, because I don't know.

What is with the infatuation with the P-mags?

There seem to be plenty of magazines that work fine with the Grendel cartridge. Is there some benefit to polymer mags that I'm not aware of?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Only reason I have is because I want a mag that makes less noise in my pack while I'm hunting, that's it that's my only reason.

And since no company seems to want to try and bring us one to market, and I'm a do it myself kind of guy I'm going to find a way to make it work.

Comment

• Drillboss
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

I kinda get that, but except for 00Spy's pig attack, I've never seen a hunting situation that required more than 10 rounds (one 5 rd mag in the gun and another in the pack).

We got lucky in Oklahoma. When the legislature thought they were limiting AR's to 7 rounds, they specifically stated it applied to 0.22 caliber bullets. Hence, no limits on 0.264".

Comment

Working...
                              X