Clear All
  • Lakeray
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Consolidate

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

First question that needs to be answered.

What do you use the 6.5 for?

Comment

• Lakeray
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2014

Forgot to mention also have to get rid of 4k of 5.56 brass and 500 bullets.

Comment

• Lakeray
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

Use is for paper shooting and possible hogs and SHTF backup...

Comment

• Rickc
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Sounds like a SHTF collection

5.56 will still be the most.popular in that scenario

6.5 grendel and its wildcat cousins are the best you are going to get out of an AR15 platform

What are your plans for these rifles?

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Keep both rifles and ammo. Reloading, if that is why you have the cases & bullets, may or may not be an option in the apartment. If not, sell them local or on the for sale section of the forum.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Lakeray View Post
              Forgot to mention also have to get rid of 4k of 5.56 brass and 500 bullets.
              4K of brass = four coffee cans. 500 bullets = a box about six inches X 4 inches. 2K rounds of 5.56 and 20 Mags? And a 5.56 carbine. Those take up too much room?

Keep both. You won't go wrong having a 5.56 around particularly if there is an ammo hording spree again.

LR55

Comment

• drewthebrave
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

I wouldn't sell anything - everyone should have at least one 5.56 AR15. If you really want a 16" Grendel, you can always just get a complete upper that you can swap onto one of your existing rifles. That way you'll have an option to have something more handy than your 24", but with more reach than your 5.56.

Comment

• Christopher67
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  4K of brass = four coffee cans. 500 bullets = a box about six inches X 4 inches. 2K rounds of 5.56 and 20 Mags? And a 5.56 carbine. Those take up too much room?

Keep both. You won't go wrong having a 5.56 around particularly if there is an ammo hording spree again.

LR55

This ^^^ 100%

Comment

• ahillock
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

If you had something in 7.62x39 or .308, I would say yeah get rid of them and consolidate to 6.5 Grendel. Even if you like Grendel better than 5.56, you should still keep the 5.56 for a SHTF. You would want both imo.

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Lakeray View Post
                      I have to downsize and cut back on the number of rifles I have and also want to consolidate calibers.
                      You answered your own question. Switching simplifies your logistics, avoiding duplication, thereby enabling you to stock only one caliber of mags, ammo, and (if you reload) bullets, dies, etc.

Comment

• Lakeray
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                        If you had something in 7.62x39 or .308, I would say yeah get rid of them and consolidate to 6.5 Grendel. Even if you like Grendel better than 5.56, you should still keep the 5.56 for a SHTF. You would want both imo.
                        I have 3 308s, A M1A Super Match. SCAR 17, and a Remington 700 5R in a manners stock, so I got all that covered. I like the idea of keeping the 5.56 and getting a 16" Grendel but I was hoping for a zero or not much loss to get the 6.5. Keep the ideas coming folks, this helps...

Ray

Comment

• Rickc
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2016

Well i found some time ago that 5.56 does not do much for me

That said under the back seat of my truck is a stock PSA 5.56 with an eotech and a mag pouch with 12 loaded 30 round mags. Just don't ever shoot it.

Grendels and their wildcat cousins are just much more fun to shoot.

Comment

• Lakeray
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                            You answered your own question. Switching simplifies your logistics, avoiding duplication, thereby enabling you to stock only one caliber of mags, ammo, and (if you reload) bullets, dies, etc.

That's what I'm thinking. I have to reduce from 15 rifles, (M1, M1A Super match, SCAR 16 &17, Eddy 1917, 3 1903a3s, 1896 Krag, 1902 M96 Swede and some others) to 6 maybe 8. A drastic reduction and there is no debating it with the wife, also have to cut back on the pistols, but that's another story. Lots of reloading stuff will have to go too. I'll still be able to reload at the condo (no garage) but no big productions. And when I'm done with a reloading session everything has to go into a closet.

Ray
                            Last edited by Lakeray; 03-21-2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Cashflow
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2016

Reloading stuff?

Not changing the subject but you don't happen to have a progressive press you need to get rid of?

Comment

Working...
                              X