CFE 223 with 123gr pills, FTF and Super Dirty, am I doing this wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pistolpeta
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

CFE 223 with 123gr pills, FTF and Super Dirty, am I doing this wrong?

Hey all, Ive been loading 123gr SMK's over 30.4gr of CFE 223, CAOL:2.250".

Shooting these through a rifle length gas, 24" Brownells/Saturn barrel with a suppressor.

I know that suppressors increase the gas blowback which in turn makes the chamber more dirty, but I swear, my rifle will stop cycling after like 10 rds from getting so dirty.

Im getting great accuracy and a pretty small difference in velocity between rounds but I have to basically operate the firearm as a bolt action. I checked the gas block tonight and it wasnt perfectly centered but it covered the entire hole, so i repositioned it and locked it down.

I should shoot it without the suppressor to see how it operates, next time.

I swear I must be doing something wrong.

I reload 300 Blk all day long and have no problem getting it to cycle anything I throw at it.
    But I am sucking at 6.5 grendel.

Getting failure to feeds/jams all the time and I spend more time trying to put a round into chamber than I do shooting the darn thing.

Could it be the ASC mag im using? I dont know.

Any help would be appreciated, and if I left out any vital piece of information, please let me know.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I don't use a suppressor or load my own ammo but it sounds like you might have fixed some of the problem by resetting the gas block.

Is the gas block adjustable are a fixed block?

Maybe try a diffrent buffer and spring setup? More heavier?

I would do like you said try it without the can and see what it does, maybe try some factory rounds like that as well maybe it will show you something that may be off with your handloads, but not sure bout that cause I don't load my own.

Hope you get it figured out sir.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I want to say I don't think it would be the mag because I use ASC mags myself and haven't had any issues with them, how new or the mags.

I loaded mine up and let them set for a few weeks before I ever used them to break them in, maybe it could be if they are real new they need to be loaded up and sat aside to break in some.

Comment

• pistolpeta
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

Yeah its a fixed gas block, an A2 buffer on the A2 stock. Maybe I should load the mag and let it sit for a while. Hopefully the gas block adjustment makes a difference.

Im thinking my problem is twofold, the dirty gas filling the compartment and improper weights/buffer.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Correct me of im wrong but i thought suppressors needed a adjustable gas block?

Loading the mags and letting them site can't hurt, and it don't cost nothing to try that.

A can makes more back pressure from what I have read so maybe a heavyer buffer and buffer spring would help too, but not sure bout that. But more back pressure would make me think if the buffer isn't heavy enough it would be unlocking early. I could be way off base though.

Comment

• explorecaves
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

With the suppressor, you may be cycling too fast for the mag to push the round up to be caught?

Comment

• m796rider
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

Yep, you're way overgassed with the can attached. If you're going to stick with a fixed gas block, think about using a Tubbs flat wire buffer spring or a stronger recoil spring from Wolff or Sprinco.

Comment

• 4pocalypse
                Unwashed
                • May 2016

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                With the suppressor, you may be cycling too fast for the mag to push the round up to be caught?
                I'd bet dollars to donuts on this. Had the same problem when running my 18" 5.56 AR suppressed. Fixed it with a heavier buffer and a stiffer sprinco spring. An adjustable block would solve your problem as well without having to experiment with buffers and springs.

Comment

• pistolpeta
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2016

Sweet deal, Should I get both a heavier buffer & spring, as well as an adjustable. or is one preferred over the other?
                  Also, will I see any noticeable velocity gains from using less gas with an adj. gas block?

Lastly, I would love some recommendations for adj. gas blocks if yall dont mind. Weight is not an issue, this guns heavy as crap anyways.

Comment

• Cashflow
                    Unwashed
                    • Nov 2016

Gas blocks

If I were going to try one I would get the Superlative Arms. You can google it and read some reviews. Good luck with whatever you pick!

Comment

• 82HALO
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

I really like the SLR adj gas blocks

Comment

• explorecaves
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

I would go with AGB over springs unless you will always shoot suppressed. Otherwise you will constantly be changing springs/buffers. I am going with superlative AGB on my 12" build once the barrel gets here... SLR also makes great AGB's too, got one on my 16" grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

I use JP's split yoke agb, out of the few diffrent ones I have tryed it's the best.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

You need an adjustable gas block.

All brass from suppressed auto's come out filthy, and this is regardless of what type of gas block you have. Your receiver will be twice as filthy also. Even in piston guns the receiver and brass ends up filthy as the crud comes back around the case via the chamber. This is the universal downside of using suppressors.

Your 300BLK is not burning the same volume of powder as a Grendel. Only 11-12gns of powder for subsonic and 20 grains for supersonic compared to 29gns in the Grendel - More powder = more filth. Being under-gassed the 300BLK is also not forcing the crud into your receiver like in the Grendel.

You don't need an adjustable gas with 300BLK because the calibre is under-gassed to start with. So any adjustable block would need to be fully open, and what's the point of that? With the Grendel however it is not under-gassed and there is no subsonic half to pander to so it helps to control the gas.

I don't use an adjustable gas on the 300BLK but use a SLR Sentry 7 on the Grendel.

Comment

• pistolpeta
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2016

Thank you guys, I will get an adjustable gas block and tame that puppy down.
                              That CFE 223 burns the eyes and smells horrible and with the addition of the can, is just mucking up the whole operation haha.

I expected the chamber to be dirty but man this is some serious grunge.
                              Do any of yall know of a powder that might burn cleaner than CFE 223?
                              Do any of yall shoot suppressed 6.5 gren?

Comment

Working...
                              X