• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
    I never felt good about sending a copy of my DD214 out to anyone. There was an American Legion that had someone use them as a basis for identity theft.
    I've used the VA health system for years and got the ID card as soon as it was available. Do you know about it? No SSN. One purpose is that you don't have to carry or provide a copy of your DD214 anymore. Stores like it.
    I don't know if it's changed but you could get the card at any VA clinic or hospital. Call around and ask.

I emailed a pic of my VA ID card and my driver's license (with "Veteran" red lettering) to BCA and they approved the discount within minutes.

Edit: So now I sign in and my cart always includes the discount, even on sale merch. And BTW, Lowes does it too. Once you're in the system everything you buy is 10% off, every day.
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 04-21-2018, 05:35 PM.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Sputnik
      Warrior
      • May 2013

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
      I never felt good about sending a copy of my DD214 out to anyone. There was an American Legion that had someone use them as a basis for identity theft.
      I sent a picture of my Retired ID card with anything important taped over; it had my name and my picture. It worked for them.

Comment

• calvarez
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2017

I have a photoshopped version of it that has important stuff removed. That's the one I also use for stores too, no reason for anyone to see some of it.

Just keep in mind that a modified PDF could still contain the data, but outputting it to a normal flat JPEG would be safe.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

As stated before I got a bad barrel with the upper I bought and had to send it back to BCA and they replaced the barrel. Now I have been to the range 3 times with it and have shot somewhere between 60 and 80 rounds through it, lost count. I have it shooting so far 1" groups and hoping it will do better with more rounds down the tube. Today I was in my safe getting another rifle out that I was going to work on some and I had to take the BCA rifle out to get to it. I just happened to look at the stamping on the barrel that tells the caliber etc. and low and behold right there in bold stamping is 5R. I had not noticed it before and when BCA sent the upper back to me there was no information as to what they had actually done but I could tell that the barrel had been replaced. The old barrel was not a 5R. Thanks for the upgrade to BCA. I just hope I will be able to get it to shoot sub MOA.

Comment

• The Adjuster
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
            As stated before I got a bad barrel with the upper I bought and had to send it back to BCA and they replaced the barrel. Now I have been to the range 3 times with it and have shot somewhere between 60 and 80 rounds through it, lost count. I have it shooting so far 1" groups and hoping it will do better with more rounds down the tube. Today I was in my safe getting another rifle out that I was going to work on some and I had to take the BCA rifle out to get to it. I just happened to look at the stamping on the barrel that tells the caliber etc. and low and behold right there in bold stamping is 5R. I had not noticed it before and when BCA sent the upper back to me there was no information as to what they had actually done but I could tell that the barrel had been replaced. The old barrel was not a 5R. Thanks for the upgrade to BCA. I just hope I will be able to get it to shoot sub MOA.
            Its great they stood behind their product. What barrel do you have and what type of ammo are you shooting.

Comment

• 1Shot
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

It is the 20" straight fluted 5R SS. The only factory ammo I have shot is Hornady 123 SST and it HATES IT. 3" groups at best. It will not shoot the 123 SST bullet accurate even with hand loads. The 1" groups are with 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady case, CCI BR-4 primer, 28.5 grs IMR 8208, COAL 2.250 and I used a medium Lee Factory Crimp averages 2575 fps.

Comment

• rickt300
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                It is the 20" straight fluted 5R SS. The only factory ammo I have shot is Hornady 123 SST and it HATES IT. 3" groups at best. It will not shoot the 123 SST bullet accurate even with hand loads. The 1" groups are with 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady case, CCI BR-4 primer, 28.5 grs IMR 8208, COAL 2.250 and I used a medium Lee Factory Crimp averages 2575 fps.
                Both my Grendel barrels are from BCA, one shoots the SST factory load very well (good enough anyway) and the other centering the group is almost futile 3" groups are not exactly useful. This barrel is a tackdriver with the 129 gr. Hornady spire point on top of AA2520.

Comment

• drykilned
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2018

Glad you tried the 129 hornady spire point. I may have to try that as i have absolutely no luck with 123sst in my bca 18" 1:8 5r stainless barrel! What velocity you doing with that tackdriving load?

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

I have some 130 Sierra Game King HPBT loaded up in a ladder with LVR powder to try. It should make a good deer killing bullet where I plan to hunt with it, 300 yards at max mostly under 200. Right now the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter is in the line up unless I can get another suitable bullet to shoot better. I do have maybe 1/2 LB AA2520 that I have had for many years. I was shooting it in my M1 Garand at one time because I could get it much cheaper than other powders and it worked good. I then ran into a deal on IMR 4895 that was pulled down powder from M2 ball ammo and I got a good supply and still have about 20 lbs or so. I wish you could get suitable velocities with it because I would be set for quite a while. Where I used to get Accurate powder locally went out of business so I would have to order it to get it. I have some other suitable powders and bullets, 120 BTs and will get some 100 BTs, to give a try this summer so I will use what shoots best. I am planning on using nothing but my ARs to hunt with this coming year. Only exception will be I will carry along on my yearly 3 week deer hunting trip my really loooooog range rifle, 264 Win mag, in case one fellow I know there invites me to go to his place. It has soy bean fields that you can't see the end of. May even take along my AR 223 that I built yesterday to hunt in one stand where shots will be under 150 yards because I would just like to kill a deer with it. Main reason I want to use the ARs is to PO the liberals. LOL

Comment

• Twkenny
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2018

Hello there fellas. First post here. I'll give the very brief synopsis of my dealings with BCA and the results I have had with 2 of their products.
                      I ordered a 20" stainless Grendel upper from Primary Arms and received it very quickly. I stuck the upper on an Anderson lower with a Timney trigger in it. Tried a few types of factory loads (Alexander Arms, Hornady Black ELD match, and Federal Fusion) and could not get better than a 100 yard 4" group. Awful. The Fusion was the best.
                      I checked my scope mounts and everything I knew to do. Shot again and it was no better. I send BCA a very mater of fact, specific email with pics of the groups. Heard back from them after a few days and the gentlemen I was dealing with asked me to sent it back to his attention. He said it should shoot at least 1 MOA with that ammo.
                      Weeks later, no updates. Finally heard back from them on a Thursday. They had been waiting for a replacement barrel and told me it would ship that Monday. Never shipped. Countless phone calls and emails later, I received a reply saying my barrel was not in stock. Yes, the one that was supposed to ship a month earlier.
                      They gave me the option of a few uppers/barrels they had in stock. I ended up with this:
                      BCA AR-15 BARREL: 20" 4150 BLACK NITRIDE CONTOUR BARREL, 6.5 GRENDEL TYPE II, STRAIGHT FLUTES, W/ 1:8 5R TWIST
                      Once I let them know which barrel I wanted they had it to me the a few days later. Had a chance to get a few down the pipe and I'm pretty happy with it considering the cost. It was a VERY windy day and I certainly did not take my time. I'm sure with handloads I'll close the groups up some. They are all Hornady Black 123 ELD Match 3 shot groups.

6.5 group 1.jpg

6.5 group 2.jpg

6.5 group 3.jpg
                      Last edited by Twkenny; 05-09-2018, 02:34 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2017

Sounds about what to expect to me Kenny. They are a budget company. You take a little bit of a risk with QC and customer service, but they did make it right in the end. May not have been very speedy, but again, this is a less expensive brand which probably has less man power on hand. As I see it, the end result is the key. As long as the timeline is not totally ridiculous - like months and months.

Conversely, this is part of what you pay for with higher priced brands. Not only is the fit and finish typically to a higher standard, most importantly, the QC should be far better. Part of the reason pricey barrels cost what they do is that they must pitch any that don't meet their strict standards. Likewise, customer service is typically better with higher priced brands because they have larger staff pool. Of course, this varies on company to the next. I am speaking generally.

Comment

• 1Shot
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Looks like you lucked out and got a good shooting barrel. Mine is shooting better the more I shoot it, it has over 100 rounds through it now. I got to shoot some of the 130 Sierra Game Kings with LVR 30.0, 30.5 & 30.9 grs and they all shot right around 1 1/2" for 5 shots @ 100. 30.9 was a little warm. I am going to experiment some around 30.5 grs. May change primer and seating depth and see if it helps. I may have to give the 123 ELD-M a try because it can still be used reliably on deer many are saying. I know the old Amax bullets worked great on deer in most any caliber.

Comment

• ported45
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Got another warranty BCA upper delivered yesterday. Using the same bullet (Nosler 120 BT with a Nosler recommended 2.245" COL) that I have used all along, the max COL for this chamber/throat is still only 2.222". Guess sending in the spec sheet didn't help afterall.

Strike 3!!!

However, fit and finish of this complete upper is the best so far, so I am going to load up some shorty Nosler 120 BT rounds and give it a whirl. I am also going to try some Nosler 129 ABLR because they will be able to be loaded to a COL of 2.274" for this chamber and is the bullet that I would like to deer hunt with if I can get acceptable accuracy with it.

In the end I may just have to get another barrel, but we shall see.

Followup post to this one farther down. Figuring that this thing had just been fired and shipped, I did no cleaning before I did the measuring. Seems to be better than I first thought.
                            Last edited by ported45; 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Twkenny
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2018

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
                              Got another warranty BCA upper delivered yesterday. Using the same bullet (Nosler 120 BT with a Nosler recommended 2.245" COL) that I have used all along, the max COL for this chamber/throat is still only 2.222". Guess sending in the spec sheet didn't help afterall.

Strike 3!!!

However, fit and finish of this complete upper is the best so far, so I am going to load up some shorty Nosler 120 BT rounds and give it a whirl. I am also going to try some Nosler 129 ABLR because they will be able to be loaded to a COL of 2.274" for this chamber and is the bullet that I would like to deer hunt with if I can get acceptable accuracy with it.

In the end I may just have to get another barrel, but we shall see.
                              Alexander Arms has barrels for $195. I was going to get one of those for the BCA upper assuming my replacement would be junk as well, but I'm going to hold off for now and see if some handloads close up my groups.

Comment

• NightFisher
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jan 2018

My son bought a BCA upper with a 22" barrel. I fitted it with a known good scope and mount and shot it today. Best I could get was a 4.5" group at 100 yards, not sure what he is going to do but from reading here I think his chances of getting a shooter from them is pretty poor. Kind of eyeballing that 20" barrel that Scrambo is selling.

Comment

Working...
                                X