How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

One more comment to add to the thread...
    I bought a Brownell's bcg as a spare, and true to the forum here, the FP is 3.270, whereas 2 of my spare 5.56's are 2.790/ 2.775.
    And the one in my current 16" Gr is 2.281.

The added comment here is regarding the bcg I also got from Monmouth (MMR) - it looks identical to the Brownell in nitrided coating, and the FP measures 3.268, so it is the shorter one. Just giving a head's up to the horde when you go to Monmouth Reloading, it is the Toolcraft bcg with the shorter bolt/FP setup.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ppro
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2019

I haven't seen anyone answer this except to suggest using a stainless firing pin and shortening it. So...has anyone found a source for the shorter firing pins ?

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ppro View Post
        I haven't seen anyone answer this except to suggest using a stainless firing pin and shortening it. So...has anyone found a source for the shorter firing pins ?

I have yet to see any firing pins advertised for the shorter 6.5 Grendel bolts. Odin Works and Brownell’s are the only two sources that have recently sold 2.800” length bolts to my knowledge. I suggest you call Brownell’s technical and pose the question to them. They might not be aware of the difference in bolt lengths 5.56/223 .125” bolt face depth, bolt length 2.800” and 6.5 Grendel length 2.810” with .136” bolt face. Brownell’s 6.5 Grendel bolt are 2.800” with bolt face .136” hense the need for shorter FP.

Toolcraft sold 2.80” length 6.5 Grendel bolts but recent examples are 2.810” in length and accept standard length firing pins. From everything I read the critical issue is the firing pin protrustion which if to long can lead to slam fires and pierced primers. A firing pin which is to short has potential for light primer strikes and failure to fire. Firing pin protrusion for the AR-15 is minimum .028” maximum .036”.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I decided to call Brownell’s technical this morning. The person from Brownell’s stated he’d built a couple AR-15’s in 6.5 Grendel using their BCG but was not aware of the difference in bolt lengths. The tech said Brownell’s did not sell a specific AR-15 firing pin for the 6.5 Grendel bolt. The tech said he would check into potential firing pin protrusion issue with the 2.80” 6.5 Grendel bolt.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-01-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• ericskennard
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2016

I rate my Brownells BCG for Grendel as a no go. The Bolt is 2.798" and the firing pin is 3.270". So the specs are okay but it will not fire a round in my Group Buy 12.5" barrel. The primers only have a light dent. I put a standard mil spec pin in (3.280") and it will fire an empty case with a primer only in it. I don't think I should shoot it this way.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
              Warrior
              • Sep 2018

Man, that's strange. I have a Brownells Grendel bcg for my next build but I'm just using the carrier as I ordered a maxim bolt and Colt firing pin to go with my Lilja 12.5" group buy

Comment

• ErikS
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

looking at the gap that shows at the back of the ejection port on the upper rear of the BC I would say that BCA makes the Brownells BCG.
                #shareyourspare

Comment

• 65GrendelPilot
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2019

I'm skeptical. My handheld measurements with cheap calipers:

Brownell's 6.5 Grendel BCG:
                  Firing Pin: 3.267"
                  Bolt Length: 2.798"
                  Bolt Face Depth: 1.375"

vs.

Noveske (aka Maxim?) 6.5 Grendel BCG factory headspaced and bundled w/my Noveske barrel:
                  Firing Pin: 3.275"
                  Bolt Length: 2.810"
                  Bolt Face Depth: 1.366"

I plan to return mine to Brownell's and buy from Maxim Firearms.

Comment

• vicrider
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by ErikS View Post
                    looking at the gap that shows at the back of the ejection port on the upper rear of the BC I would say that BCA makes the Brownells BCG.
                    I don't know who makes it, but the packaging is the same as Odin works.thumb.jpg

Comment

• CaptnC
                      Warrior
                      • May 2018

I have not used the Brownells BCG, but I have bought two from Midway USA. Their carrier is kind of octagon shaped. Both ran flawlessly.

I was browsing a Web site and seen Anderson sell a BCG that looked to be the same. So.Midway USA maybe selling their BCG.

Anyway the Midway USA BCG for $99.00...catch the free shipping on any purchase over $49.00.

Comment

• GjGary
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2018

I have 4 bolt carriers
                        1 purchased from classic
                        2 toolcraft from armorally
                        1 brownells that look and measure the same as the toolcraft old ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X