X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Thanks for the tip. I was able to get a 1 inch, 5 shot group yesterday with factory SST and a more stable bench set up. I have also come to the conclusion that I need to get my eyes checked and get some glasses, another thing that age has caught up with. I shot 5 shots at a rock I lazed at 492 yards and I was able to hit it 4 out of 5 shots with the miss just over it. The loads that I worked up that shoot great in my 22 inch Lilja barreled Grendel are not shooting so well through this barrel which I didn't expect them to. I was hoping they would, now I will just have to do a bunch more loading and shooting to see if I can come up with 1 load that works in both rifles.

Comment

• m796rider
      Warrior
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post

Thanks. I've put many rounds through that rifle. I believe the principle difference between the two rifles can be summed up as follows: Heavy bench rifle.

Compare the above Larue, with the BHW, below:

The BHW has a Magpul PRS, a 22" Bull Barrel, and a heavy, extruded, DPMS slick side upper. This rifle is built S.T.I.F.F. from the word go. With the PRS adjustable cheek weld, I am assured of consistent eye position on every shot.

The Larue, by comparison, is a lightweight. With glass and bi-pod, the Larue weighs 10.2 lbs, compared to the BHW's fully dressed 12.5 lbs.
      The BHW barrel is also chambered for .264LBC, which Les Baer designed for ultimate accuracy, but which may or may not work with certain types of Grendel ammo/handloads. As with everything related to rifles, it's a balancing act...

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
        The BHW barrel is also chambered for .264LBC, which Les Baer designed for ultimate accuracy, but which may or may not work with certain types of Grendel ammo/handloads. As with everything related to rifles, it's a balancing act...
        I'm not sure I agree with the premise that the chamber, per se, is the direct contributor to the accuracy. I have another 264LBC from BHW, in 18". Virtually identical chamber geometry. Barrel is "standard profile", collapsing stock, standard forged upper. Yet, shooting the same loads as its bigger brother, it will not group nearly as well. So, no. I don't believe "264 LBC" is the secret sauce.

Also, do not overlook the fact that the Larue has yet to compete on a level playing field. Barrel has a mere 60 rounds through it, and it does not have the same refined configuration as that BHW barreled rifle (i.e. proper cheek weld, equivalent glass, etc.).

When I've resolved the furniture issues, I will post updates.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
        X