• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilecoyote
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

MBT try out this weekend

I finally got around to swapping my triggers around. My AR Gold ended up in my Creedmoor where it was intended to go. I was going to use the SD-E in my Grendel, but then decided to sell it and go back to an SSA-E or another AR Gold .
    I received the LaRue MBT-2S that I ordered, so that is installed in my Grendel. Looking forward to trying it out. Seems nice and smooth and I really like the trigger bow. Don't know if I'll keep it in that rifle, but it will stay there till the SD-E goes and I replace it.
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 11-04-2017, 09:05 PM. Reason: Adding to title results
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Wanting a couple of these for Black Friday, so let us know how it works.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 65Whelen
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Following, my brother needs a trigger for Xmas. The larue would be a good candidate.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
        Warrior
        • Apr 2016

Wile,
        I recently installed one of these in my AR10 in 6.5creedmoor.

It replaced a OEM mil spec trigger. Because of the hurricane only recently got around to testing it.

I took it to a 1000yd F-class match a few weekends ago, on short notice. I didnt score well using a 12x scope, but I also never missed the target.

The break is crisp and very little overtravel. On mine, the break seems a little heavier than 4.5lbs, but not an issue.

Great trigger.

SY

Comment

• wilecoyote
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

So I tried it (the MBT-2S) out today. In fact, just a couple hours ago... I'm going to be real honest. I'm not sure I like this trigger. This is to the point I'm thinking I'll switch it out.

It doesn't compare to the AR Gold and to me it doesn't compare to the SSA-E or SD-E. This is not saying it's bad. Seems heavier. While pretty smooth, the others seem smoother. I know that it's new and only 40 rounds have been shot on it, but if pressed to say keep or replace right this second... I'd say replace. I'm going to fight this urge and give it a couple more outings just to be sure.

I have an offer of a trade of another MBT plus cash in exchange for my SD-E. I'm going to hold off on that too.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

I'll be glad to take it off your hands, if you decide to be rid of it. I will be needing one for my upcoming build. I can't get enough. I've tried the SSA, SSA-E, and the three gun, and while all fantastic, can't justify spending so much more for the incremental (if real) improvements over the MBT. And for my skill set and experience levels, the MBT just makes my day. Sorry you don't get the same vibe though. I was honestly thinking you'd be blown away (pun intended) like I was the first trigger pull.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• wilecoyote
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Kswhitetails... I thought I would be too. I mean I opened this and was completely blown away by the attention to detail. The fit and finish is amazing. Having graduated with a degree in engineering and having spent time in a machine shop I was very impressed. Not only the finish, but the design of the MBT is what caught my attention.

Maybe that was part of the issue. Either way, I don't want to rush to conclusions. That's the reason I want to get a couple more trips in before making a final decision on what to do with/about it.

I can say that I switched to shooting my Creedmoor afterward. That has my AR Gold trigger in it. I'm always impressed with that trigger.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

I've never tried the Gold, but guys seem to rave over it. Of course no worries, I was just gonna pounce on it if you had decided to go that route. They say opportunity knocks and all that...
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Being fair, there is something I don't like about that AR Gold... the bow is thin, very thin. It is one of the things I really liked about the MBT. That wide flat face is and does feel nice. Too bad the AR Gold doesn't have that.. hahaha..

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

I have the mbt and every review i read about it before buying said it was better then the ssa but not as good as the ssa-e. I'm happy with it.
                    Your comparing a $99 trigger to $180+ triggers.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

Bigs, glad you're happy with it.

You are correct, I am comparing the triggers. The MBT is listed for $125, unless you have to have it now then it's $200. Sales may have it for $99. If out can be found for that, then it's a decent deal. The SSA and SSA-E are listed at $240 from Geissele and the AR Gold is listed at $279 from ATC.

I have more than a few components from LaRue. They make really nice items and my mounts and such I would not give up. Ii tried the MBT for a couple reasons. I'm looking to standardize on a trigger in my precision rifles. The reviews both published and posts said there were a few using it for that purpose. J thought I'd give it a try. LaRue themselves changed to using MBT's in their lineup from Geissele and ATC. My AR Gold is a black bow edition that came from a LaRue PredatOBR. That I took as a good sign of a possibility.

Others asked me to post my thoughts and observations. I have. I'm sorry if that offends you. If my experience helps someone get an MBT because that's what they want or avoid spending the money only to sell it to get a Geissele or ATC then all the better. As I stated, it's a nice piece of work and has nice features. For me, it'll work for everything but there are better options for me for specific things. If the MBT is equal or better than the SSA as mentioned (by you in reference and contained in reviews), then I'd go with the MBT since it's almost half the price. Would I say it is worth paying $200 for? No, not in the least. I'm not the first, only or last that will make those comparisons.

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

Yes the prices you listed are the posted full retail prices. I posted the sale prices i see around most major holidays. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Comment

• 1911man
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

I think the Larue is the best trigger deal possible for the AR platform when they have it on sale for $99 and still a good deal when its $125. I have had several triggers in the AR platform from the SSA-E, SDE, Hiperfire Eclipse and 24E, RRA Varmint, etc. They are all good triggers in their own way but for the price the Larue is my go to trigger. I have 3 of them in 3 different rifles right now, one of which is my gas gun PRS match rifle in Creedmoor. I run them with the lighter JP springs for a lighter trigger pull and i dont have any like strike problems.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I've used most of the after-market single and 2-stage triggers for the AR15/AR10.

In all my Grendels, I have 1 Geissele SSA, 3 MBT-2Ss, a JP single stage with bobbed hammer, a RRA 2-stage, and some polished rack-grade triggers.

I also have a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match sample.

The Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger you have to be careful with coming off an SSA or MBT-2S, it is extremely light. I wouldn't ever put it in a dual-purpose hunting rifle personally.

We're so spoiled with triggers nowadays, it isn't even funny. There's a trigger avalanche still snowballing into a new generation with the new wave of after-market, high cost Fire Control Groups, that it's hard to keep up with.

For my needs, the MBT-2S does a great job, as does the SSA. I shoot gloved a lot, especially in my courses, so a lighter trigger could be a liability with gloves.

For bare-handed NRA matches, I can see why people love the Hi-Speed NM trigger.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wilecoyote
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2013

These replies are why I gave the MBT a try. I thought maybe it'll work for me and if it does great! I may be able to save a few bucks replacing the other three i want to replace.

I'm in complete agreement with for the price it's a good trigger and it'll work well. It would just work without a problem. But using that logic, I could have just bought a rifle out of the box that would have cost me far less in time and money. It to would just work. Do I want to spend the most? No, but I'm not looking to spend the least either.

Us being spoiled is very true. I'm a prime example. I'm looking and trying a bunch of triggers to find what works and fits best for me, for my purpose in this particular set of firearms. I don't hunt with my rifles, but I don't want a trigger with the lightest pull possible either. That's one of the reasons I haven't bought a HSNM yet.

I could take the time and get used to the MBT, but then again that can be done with any trigger. I've used standard from I don't know how many companies, RRA, Armalite, KAC, Geissele, ATC with the various flavors from them when available. The SSA-E was great. Then thought i wanted to try a flat trigger. Got rid of the SSA-E and got an SD-E... the SD-E, it's up for sale. Didn't like the flat trigger that much.

This is the reason I say I'll get rid of something. Having dozens of parts sitting in my boxes is a waste when I could sell them off and someone else gets a deal on something they are looking for and will work for them.

On another site I stated the trigger was typical LaRue. A lot of thought and work was put into it, making it a really nice piece. I don't modify, change parts or try to tweak components. The rifles themselves are that way already since they are built. If I have to change anything, then it is not as designed by the engineer(s). Yes each design is a compromise, but there may be one of those compromise out there that fits what I'm looking for more closely. I wouldn't take a supercharger meant to bolt on to a new Camaro and modify it with the expectation of it functioning as well or as long as it came from the manufacturer. Would it function better, maybe for a period of time. I own neither by the way.

Should i decided to get rid of this trigger, it'll go as it came. In its tin, with its springs (one still tagged), in the foam and with its instructions since I try to keep everything.The only thing different, it'll have a few rounds of use and i will lose some money for having tried it.

The MBT is a nice trigger. For a $125 it's well worth it. Material, workmanship and function are there making it a good deal for that price.
                              Is it perfect for everything and anything anyone is looking for including me? That's subjective.
                              Now if asked if a KAC is worth several hundred. Not in the least. Would it work, yes. Will it last, probably not. I would not buy another of those even for $125.

Comment

Working...
                              X