• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armadillo66
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Bolt action uppers for 6.5

I saw where POF sells complete bolt action upper rifles in .223 and .308
    Seems like one of these other companies could do well to build such a critter and offer it for those of us stuck in $400-$600 budgets for an accurate and versatile hunting upper in 6.5 Grendel.

• Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Buy a Howa mini 1500 or CZ. Damned accurate rifles.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Armadillo66
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2017

I love CZ 527 rifles, my brother has one in 7.62x39 that is a fun little gun to shoot.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

I bought a Howa mini action Grendel youth model for $350 from Whittakers.
        I couldn't make or buy a normal Grendel upper for an AR for that price.
        I tried the manually operated AR upper and gave up and just bought the Howa.
        Primary extraction is the problem. With the AR charging handle there isn't any and the cartridge gets stuck.
        A 2x4 became my primary extraction. Not much use for a second shot while hunting.

The Howa is impressively accurate.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

I bought a Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel barreled action for $400+ shipping. Put it in a Boyds AT-1 stock and it shoots pretty dang good. The only 2 things I don't like is the plastic bottom metal and the plastic magazine. Wish someone would make an aluminum bottom metal and metal mag for it. Otherwise, no complaints, great shooter.

Comment

• earlwb
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2017

That is quite interesting. But it got me to thinking if one could simply use a side charging upper receiver with side handle BCG without the gas port connected. The bolt itself ought to stay locked until you pull the bolt carrier back to unlock it and extract the spent case. With the side charging handle out of the way, you don't have to move your head out of the way when pulling it back to extract the case and load another round. Do you think that the cases are too tight to manually extract them?
            Last edited by earlwb; 12-28-2017, 04:03 AM. Reason: add more information

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by earlwb View Post
              That is quite interesting. But it got me to thinking if one could simply use a side charging upper receiver with side handle BCG without the gas port connected. The bolt itself ought to stay locked until you pull the bolt carrier back to unlock it and extract the spent case. With the side charging handle out of the way, you don't have to move your head out of the way when pulling it back to extract the case and load another round. Do you think that the cases are too tight to manually extract them?
              I thought exactly as you are thinking. The rounds stick to the chamber and require mortaring or whacking the side charging handle with a 2x4 to break them free.
              This effectively made it a single shot. I even removed the spring and buffer and the AR shot fine with the bolt staying locked.
              When I considered the cost of a youth mini action Grendel complete from Whittakers it was a no brainer compared to the cost of an AR upper complete.
              The trigger on the Howa is far better than anything on an AR.

Comment

Working...
              X