• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markusej
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

Ejector the same?

I was working on my grendel bolt and polishing the ejector. It ended up going flying�� can I use normal 556 ejector or are they different?
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

They’re different. Better get to crawling around lol.

Comment

• Crusty
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I bought one of those strongass retrieval magnets (like you see advertised in the back of Popular Mechanics) that I hang from a length of paracord and slowly swing it close to the floor. I've saved a small fortune by finding little bits again that I lost. Now if I can just find a magnet that works on aluminum.
      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Redraider
        Warrior
        • May 2012

An old, junk speaker magnet works well also(cheap), and I just drag mine around...............finds all sorts of lost things!!

Redraider

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Worthen, I think you thought he meant extractors.

I think 65G ejectors are standard AR parts.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Cam Pin, Firing pin retainer, gas rings, ejector, ejector spring, extractor pin, and any o-ring/extractor spring rubber insert (Think BCM's extractor improvement kit or the like) are all interchangeable with the 5.56 AR bolt. The firing pin has a potential to be slightly different in length, so measure your standard AR extras and compare to the firing pin included with your Grendel bolt for posterity. If your Grendel pin is the same length, your golden. If it's different in length over the standard length pin in your 5.56 rifles, then you'd be well advised to go find another for your Grendel for insurance. If you are of the mind that one is none... Same for the Grendel extractor. Also, measure your bolts and record the OAL of your Grendel set up for your records.

So: The Grendel specific pieces of your bolt are
            1) Bolt - duh
            2) Extractor
            3*) Firing pin - maybe. Measure and compare to your other pins.

Someone with more knowledge and a better memory might even post with the exact dimensions of the different firing pin lengths, if you find yourself sans-alternate chambering. Or, a search would bring this up. I know the Cabelas bolt carrier thread from a few weeks ago has this information.

Hope this helps.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Ksw nailed it. Also, although not asked about, the bolt carrier itself is also interchangeable.
              There is a tolerance of 1 or 2 thou's for the pin and the bolt btw...

Measurements.
              I've pulled these numbers off the post until I can re-verify, per BFT, something is not correct in what I wrote....
              Last edited by grayfox; 12-29-2017, 07:58 PM. Reason: pulled nbrs to re-verify
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

GF, check your measurements. A dedicated 65G bolt, such as the ones I sell in group buys, has an overall length of 2.811". Since a 65G bolt with a boltface depth of 0.136 is 0.011 deeper than a standard 5.56 bolt with boltface depth of 0.125, we simply add that 0.011 to the tail of the bolt so that we can still use standard AR firing pins.

Somewhere on the internet is the original drawing for a mil-spec M16 bolt, and I'd have to dig it up to verify the original bolt overall length of a standard 5.56 bolt, but I'm thinking it's . . . wait for it . . . 2.800 or 2.799. Could be wrong, though.

U P D A T E : Yep, M16 bolt per my crappy copy of military drawing #8448510 specs it at 2.800.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

You know when I look at your numbers I think I may perhaps have the parts in the right places but the names as to which is AR15 and which is Grendel, well that looks to be off. Something is definitely amiss.
                  I've pulled those numbers until I've got it straight.

I don't want bad info circulating...

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Look this explanation over:
                    When I measured my "sample" dedicated Grendel bolt (from the monster buy I just received), as BFT states, it comes out 2.810" and it uses, then a pin of length 3.279 (this would be the standard AR15 pin length then +/- 0.001?) and has a bolt face depth of 0.135" as-measured. So BFT's explanation lines up with this I believe, +/- 0.001.

The Toolcraft bolt ("Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group," sku TC65GBCGBN), however I found to be shorter, at 2.799", (so this looks to be a Mil-std AR15 length bolt within 0.001?). And the Toolcraft pin I found to also be shorter, 3.267".
                    Bottom line I was trying to say, is if you get a Toolcraft-like bolt for Grendel then make sure you're using a Toolcraft-length pin.

Sorry for all the confusion, I hope this corrects the record and straightens it up.

Comment

• Crusty
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

My Maxim bolt wouldn't let a standard firing pin extend far enough to reliably touch off all rounds. I bought an extended 7.62x39 firing pin and that finally ended all of my problems. My firing pin now extends .040" proud of the bolt face.

I first tried removing material from a standard firing pin stop flange to do the same thing only to discover that there are internal ledges inside the Maxim bolt which catch the steps on the firing pin shank and prevent it from extending any farther. Hence the 7.62 extended pin.
                      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• worthen86ford
                        Warrior
                        • May 2016

Yeah my bad. I read extractor.

Comment

Working...
                        X