• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gringoloco
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Sight In Procedure?

Curious as to what works best with the trajectories of this round. I've done my 5.56 AR's the typical Army way, 25 meters that also works for 300 meters. What do most of you do for the 6.5 though? I'm not running iron sights, just a 3 x 9 scope.
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

The best thing is to use one of the many trajectory programs out there. I have a Nikon scope and have played with theirs but never used any other. Hopefully someone can recommend a free one?

Edit: I found what looks like a good one at Hornady: https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...alculators/#!/
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Depends on your intended use.

Most target and plinker shooters will do a 100 yard zero, and get a good dope chart for longer ranges.

Hunters will do a 200 yard, which gives them a minimal hold over/under for hunting out to 300.

There are a ton of ballistic apps and online options to get you a dope chart, you just have to fill in the blanks with the critical info. The more accurate the info, the better the chart.

I prefer JBM Ballistics since you can copy and paste the info onto a word, excel, or text document and print it out.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

My brain works in feet and yards, and most of my shooting practice is at a 100 yd range. My personal preference is a 100 yd zero, which gives 4-5" drop at 200 yds and 7-9" at 250 in the Grendel - out East here, 250 covers most hunting scenarios. Easy to do with a Nikon or other BDC scope. For ballistics along with the JBM that Sticks mentioned, there's PointBlank (for pc) I use on my laptop, and strelok has a free version that I have on my Ipad. Dope cards for this are pretty easy also for 100 yd zero IMO.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Gringoloco View Post
          Curious as to what works best with the trajectories of this round. I've done my 5.56 AR's the typical Army way, 25 meters that also works for 300 meters. What do most of you do for the 6.5 though? I'm not running iron sights, just a 3 x 9 scope.
          The zeroing at 25metres is a Point Blank Range (PBR) calculation for shooting people at typical ranges of engagement with a specific bullet travelling at a certain velocity. If you intend doing similar with your Grendel then it won't be 25M. We need to know;

1. The bullet you are going to use.
          2. The velocity of this bullet.
          3. The Vital Zone radius of your intended target.

Or, you can zero at 100 metres or yards and use a ballistic calculator to know your come-up's for all other ranges. I use this second technique and save the PBR's for SBR's using red dot sights.

Comment

• Crusty
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

At whatever range you decide, using a shooting rest point your rifle exactly at the center of the bull and squeeze off one round. Reset the rifle so that it's pointing exactly where it was pointing when that round went off, then without moving the rifle adjust your scope so that the crosshairs are on the bullet hole made by that round and you're done. You can shoot more check rounds to verify.
            I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Gringoloco
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Thanks for the responses. The known distance range I typically go to goes out to 300 yards with the ability to put paper up at 100 and 200 yards and metal plates at 300. The current ammo I am going to try out on this build first is Hornady Black 123 grain ELD match and Custom 123 grain SST. Looks like 100 yard zero seems to be a pretty common start point so I'll go from there (the scope is a Vortex Diamondback tactical 3 x 9). I suppose if the next thing to look at will be a 20 MOA mount if I'm looking at 500 yards or greater then (currently I'll stick with 300, but since I live in the desert its pretty easy to go further).

Comment

• zcostilla
                Warrior
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Gringoloco View Post
                Thanks for the responses. The known distance range I typically go to goes out to 300 yards with the ability to put paper up at 100 and 200 yards and metal plates at 300. The current ammo I am going to try out on this build first is Hornady Black 123 grain ELD match and Custom 123 grain SST. Looks like 100 yard zero seems to be a pretty common start point so I'll go from there (the scope is a Vortex Diamondback tactical 3 x 9). I suppose if the next thing to look at will be a 20 MOA mount if I'm looking at 500 yards or greater then (currently I'll stick with 300, but since I live in the desert its pretty easy to go further).
                I’d recommend getting on the Vortex website and messing with their long range ballistics calculator (look for the LRBC in the the shape of a bullet). I did that for my Vortex 2-7 with BDC reticle. The scope manual shows the MOA values for each hash mark below the crosshairs. Based upon my playing around, I’m going to sight in at 200 yards, with my hashmarks looking like they will come in at 250, 335, and 415 yards respectively, using Hornady SST ammo. Then I’ll test out my calculations and see how I did.

UPDATE: here’s the link http://apps.vortexoptics.com/lrbc
                Last edited by zcostilla; 12-31-2017, 04:44 PM.
                -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

I zero at 230 yards this puts me on at 37 yards too. It also puts aiming points on my SWFA reticle for 100 yards and 150 yards. I used a ballistics calculator and test shots.

Comment

Working...
                  X