Clear All
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Field Spare Parts

• Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

I know nothing about these thinks, but it seems to me you are already carrying all the spare parts you might need to get your rifle running again.................it's called your Grendel pistol! Maybe??

Redraider

Comment

• Crusty
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I carry a tool to adjust my gas block and a foil packet of gun oil in my grip, and I always have a Leatherman with me. Been OK with that so far because I look everything over when I clean.
      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I keep a military cleaning rod/kit which breaks down pretty small in case you get a stuck case. I carry allen wrenches which come in handy. I also carry a spare extractor and spring. It’s not unheard of for the castle nut to come loose, loosing the selector detent and spring. I think it is also a good idea to have hammer and trigger pins unless your using KNS Pins. A screw driver or allen wrench that fits the grip screw is also handy. A complete spare bolt will work instead of just an extra extractor and spring.

Comment

• Crusty
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

It's the take down pin detent and spring that come out if the castle nut loosens. I got tired of that PITA and now on my builds I tap that hole for a #4-40 set screw and shorten the spring so I can put them in held by the set screw one time and they're there until I want them to come out.
          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Your right crusty it is the take down pin detent and spring held by the castle nut. I was thinking about the selector detent and spring are rarely lost if the grip comes loose. Added the screw driver then miss spoke about the castle nut. Old age strikes again. Lol

Tapping a hole is a good idea but have just never done it myself. My Agency issued an AR-15 to every road Trooper and it was not uncommon to get a castle nut come loose. The Armalite 16” AR-15’s did not have the castle nut staked and Department didn’t use thread locker before the rifles were issued.

Comment

• Crusty
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

And if it's not your rifle then tinkering with it will generally get you into trouble. Mine belong to me and I like to futz with stuff so you'll see non-standard things on mine. I work over the selector detent and spring too so that the selector operates easier and doesn't make so much noise.

The socket setscrews can be found at Amazon: #4-40x1/8". I generally cut the spring off to subtract the length of the set screw (NOTE: edited because of defective memory) and it works fine. Make sure that the tap is started square, thread up to 1/4" deep and DON'T BREAK THE TAP.
              Last edited by Crusty; 01-04-2018, 10:18 PM.
              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

>.<

Spoken like one with the t-shirt.

Good idea though.

Edit: after some Reders Digest condensed reading it turns out my Aero lower comes with this hole pre-tapped. Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend?
                Last edited by Kswhitetails; 01-04-2018, 03:04 AM.
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• worthen86ford
                  Warrior
                  • May 2016

I hear ya on the cleaning rod. I bought the Otis kit that comes with one after I had a Hornady ELD pull a bullet that was jammed in the lands.

I had a castle nut come loose once, but luckily did not lose anything. I’ve since started staking the castle nuts and haven’t had a problem, but I think I’ll start tapping that hole and using a set screw. Seems like it would make assembly a little easier too.

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Little vile of Blue locktite, one wrench (Allen, torx, hex) for every fastener on your rifle, spare bolt, cleaning kit. Beyond that in the field, you have bigger issues and should call it a day. Leave the spare parts like LPK at home.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• just_john
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2012

If I am just going to have some fun, then just a cleaning rod, the necessary wrenches and a spare bolt ( assembled ). If it is for a "more serious occasion" then I have a tool bag with all the above plus pretty much all the tools except barrel changing tools. I have most all the smaller parts in a set of 24-holer parts boxes ( one with upper parts, one with lower parts, etc ) and they come too. I haven't had a replacement crisis but have had to help some other folks on a couple of occasions.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Yeah... If i pretty much do thag every time i go to the range and wnd up fixing alot of people's guns instead. So im cutting way back.

The original topic was minimalist field kits. With that in mind i got three cheap spare parts kits from PSA for $13ea. And were pretty inclusive came with every single spring on a AR. Firing pin takedowns gas rings. All detents amd roll pins.

I dont think you really need much at all.
                        A built bolt face
                        firing pin retainer
                        Hammer and trigger spring. Single pin (or just spend the little bit extra for the retained pin set and forget it)
                        Decent cleaning kit such as mil spec. (Just got my Larue RAT with the build in rod its decent (the stock is great), i like the otis rod sections alot better and are shorter but require more for rifle length)
                        Drivers for loose screws but you should make sure they are good before heading out.

Shouldn't need much else IR it's escaping me at the moment. Other advice was on point. Your cleaning maintenance should resolve most of the issues that would arise. Or call it a day.

Comment

• worthen86ford
                          Warrior
                          • May 2016

I appreciate y’alls responses. I think i’m goin to buy a complete BCG and take the bolt, firing pin and retainer for my carry around spares and have the carrier at the house. Then probably pick up a generic trigger set off a buddy who upgraded.

As far as a BCG, probably goin to order a Toolcraft based on what ive read. Unless y’all can tell me that a BCA is gtg.

Anyhow thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• diddlyv
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

Spare parts ????? Seems excessive as I have 2 grendels but can see the utility of a second bolt - much quicker to replace than the extractor. Carried a M-16 for 14 years never had anything break or fall off the rifle. With years on rifle ranges the only malfunctions I ever saw were with 20 round magazines and due to the lips being bent. Generally no problems with 30 rounders as the back end of the lips were welded to a tab on the rear of the magazine making it much harder to deform. Newer 20 round mags have the 30 round design and should be incredibly reliable
                            Queen of Battle
                            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

I also forgot to mention i kinda Really like the little pin punch's that come with AK kits they are very small and light and only cost about $1 ea.

Comment

Working...
                              X