X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mytie
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

So is the op going to be safe seating his Bullets that deep? Have you shot the new rounds seated below the minimum?

Comment

• beastep
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2018

I have and Im having pressure issues due to less case capacity I do believe. With a book max of 31.2 of CFE I loaded some at 30.6 and higher but I had pressure signs at 30.6 so Im not shooting the rest. I have to drop down and see if I can get something to shoot without pressure signs and that holds a nice group. Im also thinking about changing powder to maybe something a little slower to help that out. Maybe AR Comp. Not sure yet.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I'd go with '55s advice, a short throat is short no matter if it's G1 or G2 or xyz... nothing will really be able to compensate for that other than lengthening it back to where it ought to be. The GII aspect only means it has a straight cut throat rather than SAAMI cut throat, I've had 2 GII's and their throats were plenty long enough... now the SAAMI spec chambers shoot better in general than my GII's did IMO but that is irrelevant to whether there is enough leade to properly seat your 6.5 bullets. I'd call up BCA (use the 833-number on their website not the "customer service" one) and see if they will take care of it for you.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Redomen
          Warrior
          • Jun 2016

I checked my 18” Faxon and COAL came to 2.255 with 123SST without hitting lands. I. Re checked my 16” and found a comfy spot at 2.250 COAL. Just worked some loads up for testing on my 20” Radical build. The Faxon barrels will be next.

Comment

• beastep
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            I'd go with '55s advice, a short throat is short no matter if it's G1 or G2 or xyz... nothing will really be able to compensate for that other than lengthening it back to where it ought to be. The GII aspect only means it has a straight cut throat rather than SAAMI cut throat, I've had 2 GII's and their throats were plenty long enough... now the SAAMI spec chambers shoot better in general than my GII's did IMO but that is irrelevant to whether there is enough leade to properly seat your 6.5 bullets. I'd call up BCA (use the 833-number on their website not the "customer service" one) and see if they will take care of it for you.
            Im going to start another round of load development next weekend. Im having to wait on brass and bullets right now. I also think Im going to get away from CFE to maybe lessen my pressure a little bit and get more temp stability. Im thinking about AR comp but Im not sure yet.

I called them Thursday and I havent heard back from anyone yet.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I've had to ream several 6.5 Grendel barrels so far that people sent me.

They had short throats that would jam factory ammo into the lands.

Funny how out of all the barrels I own or have owned, they all allow factory ammo to drop free from the chamber with ease.

This happens in .223, 5.56, 7.62 NATO, and every other chamber you can imagine when one of a few things happens:

* Finish reamer with the barrel maker gets worn and no longer cuts to the minimum spec for throat location. (Every rifle maker I know of has had this problem occur if they crank out any kind of volume.)

* Whoever/whatever did the reaming operation didn't ensure that it was done correctly, which is usually because of the above.

I built an SPR clone upper for a guy with a barrel from one of the main go-to SPR clone builder barrel providers that had a short .223 Wylde chamber. It shot 69gr and 77gr SMKs into bugholes no problem, but blew primers with M193.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Redomen
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

I measured my 20” with he Hornady gauge I had and got a measurement of 2.340 to the lands. I came up with the earlier measurement of 2.223 by coloring a bullet with a sharpie and clambering it and looking for marks. I was making loads of varying lengths to test and decided to seat one at 2.245 since that is the max norm for 123 SST. I chambered it and had no marks and it measured the same afterwards. I’m kinda stumped. I’m thinking when I chambered the first colored rounds that the bullet may have moved forward a smidge from the bolt slamming closed and caused the marks and extra length. I originally thought I was into the lands and the extra length was from the bullet being pulled when I ejected them. This is confusing the hell out of me. The best groups I got were with 28.5 and 29 grains of CFE at COL 2.223. I loaded some at 2.245, 2.230, 2.225, 2.218, and 2.210. Before I blow myself up or ruin my barrel is ther a minimum recommended COL? I’ve been reloading for bolt guns forever but semi autos is new to me.

Comment

• Steve390Gold
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2017

I have a Satern 5R liberty 20" barrel that also has a SAAMI spec chamber with the very short throat (produced about 3 years ago.) Hornady Black is jammed 0.025" into the lands. Considering it shot right at 0.75MOA at all yardages including 625yards, I didn't complain, and instead worked up loads that also jam the Hornady ELD-M 0.025" into the lands. Thus far I have not been disappointed - 0.5 moa when I do my part at all yardages out to 625 yards. (Furthest I can shoot for groups currently.)

Neck tension is pretty good with my reloads so no issues with bullets being pulled when removing a chambered live round.
                  Last edited by Steve390Gold; 01-31-2018, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Steve390Gold
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Redomen View Post
                    I measured my 20” with he Hornady gauge I had and got a measurement of 2.340 to the lands. I came up with the earlier measurement of 2.223 by coloring a bullet with a sharpie and clambering it and looking for marks. I was making loads of varying lengths to test and decided to seat one at 2.245 since that is the max norm for 123 SST. I chambered it and had no marks and it measured the same afterwards. I’m kinda stumped. I’m thinking when I chambered the first colored rounds that the bullet may have moved forward a smidge from the bolt slamming closed and caused the marks and extra length. I originally thought I was into the lands and the extra length was from the bullet being pulled when I ejected them. This is confusing the hell out of me. The best groups I got were with 28.5 and 29 grains of CFE at COL 2.223. I loaded some at 2.245, 2.230, 2.225, 2.218, and 2.210. Before I blow myself up or ruin my barrel is ther a minimum recommended COL? I’ve been reloading for bolt guns forever but semi autos is new to me.
                    Make a load ladder at the bottom of the load spectrum working up with the bullet jammed into the lands - my gun seems to like 0.025". You may see pressure sooner than without jamming into the lands, but I went up to 32 grains of CFE223 under a 123, had a wildly compressed powder charge, and jammed 0.025" and still had no pressure signs. My good load with cfe223 is currently 29.8grains IIRC, COAL is 2.245" or something analogous to that. That particular load is about 1.5 minutes lower at 625 yards than Hornady BLACK, so it is moving a tad bit slower.

(The main reason I cant remember the COAL is because I use the ogive gauge that hornady sells - as someone else mentioned, seating to a specific case head to ogive length is far more consistent than COAL.)
                    Last edited by Steve390Gold; 01-31-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Redomen View Post
                      If you use the Stoney Point gauge, it's very easy to not get a full seat of the dummy case, so COL numbers can be all over the map.

I personally use dummy cartridges with marker on the ogives, and let the bolt fully send them home when determining my max COL.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Steve390Gold View Post
                        Make a load ladder at the bottom of the load spectrum working up with the bullet jammed into the lands - my gun seems to like 0.025". You may see pressure sooner than without jamming into the lands, but I went up to 32 grains of CFE223 under a 123, had a wildly compressed powder charge, and jammed 0.025" and still had no pressure signs. My good load with cfe223 is currently 29.8grains IIRC, COAL is 2.245" or something analogous to that. That particular load is about 1.5 minutes lower at 625 yards than Hornady BLACK, so it is moving a tad bit slower.

(The main reason I cant remember the COAL is because I use the ogive gauge that hornady sells - as someone else mentioned, seating to a specific case head to ogive length is far more consistent than COAL.)

I do not recommend jamming the lands in a gas gun because you will have a very hard time extracting them if you don't get to fire. You are also not allowing the jump with start pressure transition into the lands, so pressures can spike on you, especially from the small volume case of the 6.5 Grendel and its efficient 30˚ shoulder.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X