Ordered an Aero Precision Grendel upper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calfed
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Ordered an Aero Precision Grendel upper...

HI, guys...new member here.

I ordered an Aero Precision 20" Grendel upper and charging handle (during their 18% off Shot show sale) and just received notice that it shipped. This upper does not include the BCG. Aero advised that I should get a Grendel bolt from Ballistic Advantage ($150) and that is the only one guaranteed to work. I've found a Toolcraft Grendel bolt for less than $100 and am wondering if those are GTG.

Anyone have any experience with Toolcraft Grendel bolts?

Also looking for any magazine recommendations (10 round max)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Calfed; 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

toolcraft is gtg from my readings
    iirc they make bolts for many other people, including military
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Harpoon1
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Calfed View Post
      HI, guys...new member here.

I ordered an Aero Precision 20" Grendel upper and charging handle (during their 18% off Shot show sale) and just received notice that it shipped. This upper does not include the BCG. Aero advised that I should get a Grendel bolt from Ballistic Advantage ($150) and that is the only one guaranteed to work. I've found a Toolcraft Grendel bolt for less than $100 and am wondering if those are GTG.

Anyone have any experience with Toolcraft Grendel bolts?

Also looking for any magazine recommendations (10 round max)

Thanks!
      Looking for just a bolt? If you can wait a little while or maybe want a spare or two........not a bad idea.

Gentlemen, Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde: Here is our latest group buy on 6.5 Grendel bolts. By now you're familiar with Millennium Manufacturing's top-shelf, dedicated 6.5 Grendel bolts made to the same specifications as Alexander Arms' original 0.136" boltface-depth bolts and using 9310 steel treated with QPQ

E-Lander mags from Alexander Arms seem to be the top of the line.......they just got a new shipment in last week. Mine arrived today!

C-Products seem to get good reviews.........well, mostly! I just got some from CTD.

Cheaper Than Dirt! is America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter, and we live up to that title. Expect bulk ammo deals, discount firearms, parts to build your next gun and more.
      Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-25-2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Calfed
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
        Looking for just a bolt? If you can wait a little while or maybe want a spare or two........not a bad idea.

Gentlemen, Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde: Here is our latest group buy on 6.5 Grendel bolts. By now you're familiar with Millennium Manufacturing's top-shelf, dedicated 6.5 Grendel bolts made to the same specifications as Alexander Arms' original 0.136" boltface-depth bolts and using 9310 steel treated with QPQ

E-Lander mags from Alexander Arms seem to be the top of the line.......they just got a new shipment in last week. Mine arrived today!

C-Products seem to get good reviews.........well, mostly! I just got some from CTD.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...66897410536.do
        Nah, need a whole BCG...

E-Lander it is

Comment

• Calfed
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          Brownell’s has a 6.5 Grendel BCG in stock plus E-Lander and CP ten round mags in stock. Brownell’s has free shipping right now on orders over $49.

A few forum members have used the Brownell’s 6.5 Grendel BCG and appear to be GTG, actually look like Toolcraft. With Brownell’s warranty it is worth comparing prices.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod105382.aspx
          Thanks...looking into it.

Comment

• tracker12
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

I bought a Toolcraft BCG and it has worked flawlessly with the group buy bolt I bought here.
            AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• sreyemj
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Calfed View Post
              Aero advised that I should get a Grendel bolt from Ballistic Advantage ($150) and that is the only one guaranteed to work.
              They just say that because Aero owns Ballistic Advantage, Toolcraft should be gtg.

Comment

• Calfed
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

Thanks, guys

Comment

• Irbuff
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by sreyemj View Post
                  They just say that because Aero owns Ballistic Advantage, Toolcraft should be gtg.
                  Hmm that is interesting. Didn't know they owned them. Knew they used their barrels but that was it!

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

DONT BUY BROWNELLS!!! search the forum they use a shorter non standard firing pin length. Make sure and get one that uses a standard pin which you can find anywhere. I got standard mil spec bolts and the GB bolts they are gtg.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Toolcraft bcg also uses the shorter firing pin. I bought the 5.56 Toolcraft BCG and used a GB bolt.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Im fairly certain the problem enlies with complete BCG's only. I got decent complete MIL-SPEC BCG's with mil spec pins and all. And swapped the bolts by themselves. AIM surplus nitride m16 BCG for like $80 or $90 and bolts from the Group Buy got tons of spare parts as well. Enough to last my lifetime.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

The Brownell, Toolcraft, Odin and Larue 6.5 Grendel bolts use a shorter tail which is .01 shorter than the Alexander Arms and most other Grendel bolts (Group Buy Bolt).

The Brownell, Toolcraft, Odin and Larue use shorter firing pins to prevent punctured primers. With the 6.5 Grendel bolt with .136 bolt face AA lengthened the tail of the bolt so a mil spec firing pin could be used. The first time the shorter bolt tail length first showed up was when Odin released their 6.5 Grendel bolts and 6.5 Grendel barrels. Odin’s were getting pierced primers which was traced to the mil spec firing pin in the shorter bolt. I suspect an engineer never thought to add .01 to the length of the bolt even though 5.56/223 use .125 bolt face +or- .001 and Grendel has a .136 bolt face.

I don’t think there is anything mechanically wrong with the Brownell, Toolcraft, Odin or Larue bolts but just a difference to be aware of incase you ruin a bolt. You just need to match your firing pin to your bolt, there is .01 difference in mil spec FP and the shorter firing pin.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

My BCM 5.56 bolt measures: 2.7970 and pin 3.2765

Monster Group Buy Bolt: 2.8120 and pin 3.2770

Larue Grendel Bolt : 2.8005 and pin 3.2700

Larue 5.56 bolt: 2.8000 and pin 3.2780

Given these measurements, the only bolt appearing long is my monster bolt, which uses the same length pin.

I need someone to help me make sense of this. I understand the purpose of shortening the bolt and pin, but my data doesn't bear it out. I'm not of a machinist's background though, so I may be unable to read the data correctly.

come to think of it, I didn't get a pin with the GB bolt, so is there a possibility I need a longer one to use with it? I haven't had any FTFir yet...
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                            X