14.5" Alexander Arms upper kit with pinned flash hider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alaska_guy
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

14.5" Alexander Arms upper kit with pinned flash hider.

I was curious around when this was sold from AA. I am looking at purchasing one locally but I am worried about issues with the barrel and bolt if its not to the new SAMI spec. I can't find any info on the rifling, twist rate etc . The barrel is black in color. The guy is selling the upper, barrel, BCG, an elander magazine, charging handle, standard hand guard and gas tube. I would need to buy a .750 gas block.

Basically looking for a hunting barrel to shoot 120 something pills. Hoping for under 1 MOA.

This particular model looks like it came with a standard A2 front sight and standard hand-guard.

At around $300 is this a good deal or should I look into jumping on the group buy and building my own?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Those uppers/barrels were for sale when I started researching the 6.5 Grendel in 2008-2009. I think AA had the 14.5” uppers on the market through 2012. The Hornady reloading data in the 9th edition used the AA 14.5” barrel but is listed at 16”. I think I bought my 9th Edition manual in 2013 IIRC.

I wouldn’t be concerned about a AA barrel and the twist was 1:7.5 and is the same chamber as the current SAAMI spec with .136 bolt.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Well let's breakdown what your getting if you go for it, you should ask if he has the original site tower stashed away anywhere.

barrel new: $200+/- , so used let's say $150
      upper: $60
      bcg w/ AA bolt: $150+/-
      charge handle: $15
      gas tube: $10
      magazine: $15
      handguard: $20 if it is just a regular plastic 2-piece

So give or take it would take at least $470 to buy new and $400ish used and that's not including barrel nut, delta ring, end cap if it has it but I assume so and muzzle device plus pin & weld job. Gas blocks start at about $20 or a bit more for a standard steel unit. I would be very tempted to buy it as that is a very nice length for a pack type gun.

Comment

• alaska_guy
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2018

Thanks. I really wanted a 18" barrel but figured it was a good deal. I already have an upper, so I would need every thing else if I built my own. I am waiting for the owner to get back to me.

Comment

• alaska_guy
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by alaska_guy View Post
          Thanks. I really wanted a 18" barrel but figured it was a good deal. I already have an upper, so I would need every thing else if I built my own. I am waiting for the owner to get back to me.
          I am thinking about placing an order for a new BCA upper after hearing the decent reviews.

Only $50 more than the guy has locally, but I would get a rail instead of standard handguards. The $20 for a gas block to get his running is basically a wash because I would just need a mag to get the Bear Creek up and running.

Here is his ad.

Alaska's List is a huge, online service, featuring classified ads placed by people and businesses throughout the Greatland and beyond. Clean, well-organized, and professionally moderated, Alaska's List is classifieds done right!

Comment

• ErikS
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

No way would I go with the local mashup. It appears to be a hack job.
            #shareyourspare

Comment

• alaska_guy
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2018

Exactly what I needed for know! Thanks!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ErikS View Post
                No way would I go with the local mashup. It appears to be a hack job.
                What indicated to you that it's a hack job?

I didn't get that impression from the ad. I would just want to know how the gas block was removed, because it has some telltale signs of being either an AA low profile block or an FSB before.

The upper has the correct AA markings on it.

The BCG looks like it has seen some use as the carrier rails are worn and the lug I can see looks worn.

There is no "new SAAMI spec".
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                X