M4 or Standard receiver for a Grendel 11 barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cherodjr
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2016

M4 or Standard receiver for a Grendel 11 barrel?

I don't know a lot about receivers, and I can't afford to make a mistake. I would appreciate your thoughts from those of you who do know. Does the receiver cut matter for a Grendel 11 barrel? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Nope, any mil-standard upper works. The one caveat would be to check the feed ramp style on your barrel extension, (I would assume based on my experience that it would most likely be the M4 style), and make sure the upper has the appropriate feed ramps machined in. You don't want to put a M4 extension into an rifle feed ramped upper, it creates a lip where the bullet tip will catch or drag on, causing feeding problems. You can get away with a rifle extension in an M4 upper, but it's not ideal. Best to match the two.

From another thread here you can gather some knowledge from some guys on their experiences with various brands of uppers.

Mods; If this is redundant, or ill advised, please feel free to delete or edit as desired. This thread was inspired by several posts in another in which it was discussed that it would be nice to have information regarding the condition of various branded forged uppers prior to, and following the lapping procedure. The purpose

I don't think you can go wrong with either Aero Precision, or Bravo Company Manufacturing; both are well reputed and excellently machined. The Aero has more of a reputation for being pretty (function AND form!), where the BCM is just a proven industry member that puts out top-shelf stuff in general. Aero has an upper that is a little more involved they designate as the M4E1, which has some extra material in the forging to give it racier lines and a unique appearance. I don't know if it has mil-spec dimensions or if there are other build complications, so if you decide to go that route do some checking.

For me, any upper I buy henceforth for Grendel, unless part of a billet set, will be a BCM M4. They just don't have problems, and you will always know you've got good stuff in hand. Incidentally, Primary Arms has theirs on sale for $99 and in stock. That probably won't last long. Unless they have unusually high numbers in stock. http://www.primaryarms.com/bravo-com...ngs-bcm4-ur-m4

Blem (blemmished) uppers are okay from either, this can save you money, (if you can find them). However, they may have a tick or two that needs a little TLC. If you're mechanically inclined, you can almost always take care of it quickly and simply. I've never gotten a blem part from a reputed manufacturer that was anything more than a scratch in the finish or discolored spot in the coating... I don't mind either.

KS
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Your barrel manufacturer should tell you if the feed ramps are cut for Rifle or M4. That is the only real consideration, regardless of which variant on the chamber you go with.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Cherodjr
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2016

Thank You!

Comment

• 98Z
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
          Nope, any mil-standard upper works. The one caveat would be to check the feed ramp style on your barrel extension, (I would assume based on my experience that it would most likely be the M4 style), and make sure the upper has the appropriate feed ramps machined in. You don't want to put a M4 extension into an rifle feed ramped upper, it creates a lip where the bullet tip will catch or drag on, causing feeding problems. You can get away with a rifle extension in an M4 upper, but it's not ideal. Best to match the two.
          This info is directly opposite... Here's what you're looking for in extension/upper combinations (click the pic):
          feed ramps.jpg

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by 98Z View Post
            This info is directly opposite... Here's what you're looking for in extension/upper combinations (click the pic):
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]11200[/ATTACH]
            Properly slapped.

I actually looked at that picture to verify my post before I submitted, and changed it to how I posted it. (Homer Simpson would be proud.)

98 is correct, I mis-represented the issue 180 degrees. oops
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Cherodjr
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              Your barrel manufacturer should tell you if the feed ramps are cut for Rifle or M4. That is the only real consideration, regardless of which variant on the chamber you go with.
              Getting in contact with Saturn isn't always easy, but they confirmed that my Grendel 11 barrel WILL HAVE M4 ramps. Thank You!

Comment

Working...
              X