• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pkk
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2015

6.5 Barrels

I'm looking at building a 20" rifle and I'm looking at these two barrels Anyone have any opinions about these two? Which would you recommend? If I went with the Faxon, I'd pair it with a toolcraft BGBC.

• grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I have 2 faxons and like them both. That said, the Odin looks to be very good choice also. Is it a heavier wt barrel? Don't know if weight is an issue for you.
    Odin says it is hand lapped which is an advantage.
    Both bcg's look to be nitrided.
    Kind of a coin toss choice...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• alaska_guy
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2018

The tunable gas block retails for around $55, the tube is maybe $7, bolt carrier is around $100... So lets just say $170 The rest ($248)is the cost of the barrel for that odin works. Not a bad deal. However, out of your choices there I would go with the fluted barrel from faxon. It's not much more $$ and you can get a toolcraft 6.5 BCG for $82 shipped from a few places to save some $$. I don't see a need for tuneable gas blocks unless your picky. Again another huge savings as you can get standard gas blocks for $10-20.

Comment

• BCHunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

The Odin is stainless, heavier and will have everything you need, just add upper and hand guard of choice at a good price.
        The faxon is nitride coated stainless. Should be lighter because of fluting,you will have to get the other parts, BCG 100, Gas block 30 gas tube 10 plus shipping will be slightly more then the odin.

Both have good reputations, it really comes down to aesthetics for you or if you plan on customizing the Bcg or gas block.
        Last edited by BCHunter; 03-02-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

To the OP,
          First you have to decide what you are going to do with your new rifle. Are you going to punch paper and ring steel? Are you going to use it as a hunting gun? More and more I find myself very weight conscience because I carry more than I benchrest. If you are on bags or a bipod right out of the truck most of the time weight will not count for much. Balance is a factor also but is harder to determine unless you have access to similar rifles to get the "feel" for them. A slim barrel will shoot well if you do your part and feed it correctly. One thing about the G is that a short barrel is not that much of a handicap as it is in most other calibers.

Comment

• brian y
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by pkk View Post
            I'm looking at building a 20" rifle and I'm looking at these two barrels Anyone have any opinions about these two? Which would you recommend? If I went with the Faxon, I'd pair it with a toolcraft BGBC.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Odi...0-r-tg-bcg.htm
            pkk, I recently posted about the 6.5 i built using the Odin Works 20" barrel, I bought the same package as you are looking at; Here it is:
            So I put together my first Grendel for distance as I wanted to shoot out to 1000yds and hopefully be accurate. I used an Odin Works 20” barrel and bolt, Odin Works Adjustable low profile gas block, 20” Gas Tube, Odin Works Billet upper, Odin Works O2 lite forend, Odin Works Atlas Compensator, 80% lower, Larue MBT trigger, Luth

It works for me.
            NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• pkk
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by brian y View Post
              pkk, I recently posted about the 6.5 i built using the Odin Works 20" barrel, I bought the same package as you are looking at; Here it is:
              So I put together my first Grendel for distance as I wanted to shoot out to 1000yds and hopefully be accurate. I used an Odin Works 20” barrel and bolt, Odin Works Adjustable low profile gas block, 20” Gas Tube, Odin Works Billet upper, Odin Works O2 lite forend, Odin Works Atlas Compensator, 80% lower, Larue MBT trigger, Luth

It works for me.
              Nice shooting. Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll go with it. If you can ring steel at 1000, then what else can you ask for?

Comment

• pkk
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2015

It looks like you were using factory ammo. I reload but will probably not reload the 6.5 until i have a good bit of brass saved up. i may not ever reload it. Have you noticed any factory ammo that it seems to really like? Was the Wolf, steel or brass?
                Last edited by pkk; 03-03-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• brian y
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

It looks like you were using factory ammo. I reload but will probably not reload the 6.5 until i have a good bit of brass saved up. i may not ever reload it. Have you noticed any factory ammo that it seems to really like? Was the Wolf, steel or brass?
                  I do not reload as of now(probably in the future) so i shoot Hornady both the 123gr SST and the Black 123gr ELD, If i am just plinking i also use Wolf 100gr the cheap stuff. What i have found out is as i go out to longer distances it seems to like the Hornady Black 123 ELD the best. Good luck with your build.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

If you have a chrony, that's the best way imo to find the most accurate longer-distance load. Low SD's = better groupings at distance (cartridge overall length also plays a role). So I'd recommend a chronometer of your choice. Traditional style, Magnetospeed, Labradar...

Comment

• pkk
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2015

I do not reload as of now(probably in the future) so i shoot Hornady both the 123gr SST and the Black 123gr ELD, If i am just plinking i also use Wolf 100gr the cheap stuff. What i have found out is as i go out to longer distances it seems to like the Hornady Black 123 ELD the best. Good luck with your build.
                      What kind of accuracy do you get out of the Wolf 100's?

Comment

• Headshot11
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2017

Odin

Comment

• brian y
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

What kind of accuracy do you get out of the Wolf 100's?
                          This is at 100yds with wolf 100 a 3 shot group, Sorry i do not have any other pics as of now but i have hit steel out to 700yds with no problems. Next time i am out i will try to remember to get pics.
                          greyfox, i have just bought a Magnetospeed so that is also on my todo list lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

This is at 100yds with wolf 100 a 3 shot group, Sorry i do not have any other pics as of now but i have hit steel out to 700yds with no problems. Next time i am out i will try to remember to get pics.
                            greyfox, i have just bought a Magnetospeed so that is also on my todo list lol.
                            Easy to use, accurate. Don't leave home without it!!
                            It will change your POI however, so do the MV-speed/SD checks, then shoot for zero and groupings.

Comment

• brian y
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                              Easy to use, accurate. Don't leave home without it!!
                              It will change your POI however, so do the MV-speed/SD checks, then shoot for zero and groupings.
                              Thanks for the info, will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X