• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Questions, comments on pistol builds

So, guys, those of you who have built or gotten one...
    What specific issues, good or bad, are there in an AR pistol build.
    I really haven't thought much about them and so don't know much either,
    Looks like it could be a good truck gun.
    1. what about gas length/ performance, it's a shorter length than even carbine, right?
    2. Are some bullet weights better than others.
    3. effective range? Probably a smaller, shorter scope, or?
    4. what special issues are there in ability to aim/ get on target accurately.
    5. What braces, or not-a-buttstock-but helps stabilize it thingies, work well?

If I get into one of these, I would think it should be a 223 or 6.5 Grr.

Anyway, thoughts and experiences welcome!
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

I built one cutting down a 16” anderson 6.5 barrel to 10.5. Carbine length gas will be fine. I had to open my gas port from .068 to .073 to cycle reliably with wolf steel case. I have only run the wolf in mine so far. Its more of a steel case blaster / backup hunting gun for me. I get around 2-3 moa out of it at 100 yards using the wolf. I run a leupold 1-4 on mine for weight savings. This pistol is just a mini version of my 16” rifle that has the trijicon 1-8 on it. I have a kak blade on mine. Havent tried any others but i am happy with it. The blade is a little uncomfortable with the narrow blade “if” it hits your sholder under recoil. The sig and sb braces look more comfortable being kinda rubber and wider. I have no 5.56 rifles anymore. If i could convince my wife to go grendel i would have no 5.56 in the house.

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Thanks guys!
        My bad, after posting I did a search and found the other recent AR pistol thread...
        Gives me something to think about that's for sure!
        Might even look at the 12.7 group buy to get my barrel.
        Although the whole idea is a case of eyes being bigger than the stomach, if you know what I mean.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Oh I've been eyeing that AA 11" darn near every other day with my finger hovering over the buy button.

Comment

• Keef
            Warrior
            • Jun 2017

I really like mine with a red dot on it. So far the chopped barrel has fired and locked the bolt back with both wolf and EDL black. I have been eye balling 1-8x scopes as well. Also thinking about trying a magnifier, but I can hit anything realistic I would shoot at with just the red dot 0-300. The scope or magnifier would just make target shooting more accurate/fun. I still wish it was a little bit shorter though, trying to figure that one out.

Comment

• dpete
              Warrior
              • May 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              So, guys, those of you who have built or gotten one...
              What specific issues, good or bad, are there in an AR pistol build.
              I really haven't thought much about them and so don't know much either,
              Looks like it could be a good truck gun.
              1. what about gas length/ performance, it's a shorter length than even carbine, right?
              2. Are some bullet weights better than others.
              3. effective range? Probably a smaller, shorter scope, or?
              4. what special issues are there in ability to aim/ get on target accurately.
              5. What braces, or not-a-buttstock-but helps stabilize it thingies, work well?

If I get into one of these, I would think it should be a 223 or 6.5 Grr.

Anyway, thoughts and experiences welcome!
              1. The group buy barrels are carbine length. With his experience I would think BFT has got this nailed for a short Grendel. If you were talking about a 300 BLK, pistol gas would be the way to go for a shorty.
              2. As far as bullet weight goes...just like any other rifle, shoot it and find out what it likes. Just because its short doesn't mean it will not like anything you don't already have.
              3. A short Grendel has the most energy at downrange distances when compared to .223 and 300BLK. At short range (50-100 yards) they may be close but once you get out there the Grendel shines. There are threads here showing comparisons.
              4. None that I have found. Raising a rifle/pistol and looking through a scope is the same motion whether its long or short. Short usually means lighter and therefore faster if need be. A short barrel with a suppressor mounted will end up at a carbine overall length.
              5. A brace comes down to what you want it to do and how much you can afford. Since the ATF loosened their interpretation on them the options in the market have exploded. I have an original Sig brace and shouldering it (when it was and now again that it is legal) is no problem. It is not a stock but it comes close.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

If you're looking for a long length of pull that works well with incidental shoulder contact, look into the APF SBM4 buffer tube matched with a Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod1.
                Length of pull is ~12.75" installed (9.24" from endplate to tube end). If you're going to use the brace in the open position, you'll need to go with a red dot for eye-level aiming or laser for one-armed tommy-gun.
                "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I like the SB Tactical and Maxim telescoping braces.

SB Tactical:

Maxim Defense:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

LRRPF52,
                    I have a question maybe you can answer about the pistol braces. I didn't want to hijack this thread so it's posted here :

I have thoroughly researched both of these braces and I like the maxim more. However I plan to build 2 pistols and only want one brace between the two. Do both these braces slide on to the pistol buffer tube so I could easily slide it off one gun and on to the other like a traditional stock? I realize the maxim requires a

If you get a chance to look at it I would appreciate it.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

This is all so terrible!!!!!!!!!
                      So many ideas, plus now it looks like I might be getting a tax refund!!!!
                      Woe is me!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

Comment

• Sandstorm
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2016

I just built up a AA 11 inch a few weeks back....shoots amazingly well with
                        the Carbine gas set up and standard gas block...was worried about it being overgassed.
                        Fairly accurate and not even broken in yet.
                        Have to get out soon to shoot it some more and will post findings.

Comment

• BCHunter
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2018

LLRPF52 is that a 16" barreled upper on the sb tactical brace? If it is what to you find advantages of that confiquration?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                            LLRPF52 is that a 16" barreled upper on the sb tactical brace? If it is what to you find advantages of that confiquration?
                            That's on my Lilja 318 barrel, which is about 18". I put it on the lower in prep for my 12" Faxon build, then figured I'd try it on the Lilja.

Feels a lot better than I thought it would, and allows some options with a rear bag that aren't available with a normal carbine stock.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Maxim Defense:

totally sick!
                              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                              X