• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

My Grendel Armory

I figured I'd post my two grendels here. I know I like to see threads with builds to gather ideas so here are mine:

the rifle is a 16" built around an Alexander Arms lite barrel, A2 FH, BCM upper, Anderson Lower, MI 15" handgaurd, magpul furniture, Odin mlok light mount, streamlight protac with some custom bushings to make the 1" mount work, BCM PNT trigger, 1-8 Accupower in Geiselle mount, JP bolt in a Fail Zero Carrier, generic LPK, and a american defense H2 buffer. The targets are with the rifle using hornady SST at 100yrds. One target is a 3 round group rezeroing the scope, and the other is a 15 round group. I'm goin to say that the 6 outside of the main group on the 15 round string was me not the gun. I was supported only using a caldwell 7 rifle rest, not as good as a bipod or sled for sure.

This rifle originally had an Anderson upper. I changed to a BCM because of a wondering zero issue i was having. I noticed that the 1st few shots would always be 2-3 inches off. It seemed like as the barrel/chamber warmed up the gun would return to zero or at least within an inch or so. this was with clean or dirty barrels. I swapped to the BCM because of the undersized extension bores and problem seems to have been solved. I have even found that I can remove and remount my scope and still be within an MOA of my original POI so I am happy enough with that.

The pistol is built around an anderson 16" barrel that i had cut down to 10.5. I got the barrel for 75 bucks and had a machinist buddy do the smith work so it was cheap enough. It has a KX5, anderson upper, lower, LPK, MI 10.5" handguard, Magpul grip and covers, KAK blade and tube, Carbine weight buffer, Leupold 1-4 Muzzleloader/shotgun scope in a DNZ freedom mount, and the same light setup as the rifle. I bedded the barrel extension to the receiver with loctite and have not noticed any wondering zero so I think i will do that from now on. I do lap receiver faces on all uppers. The pistol is my backup rifle when i go hunting and my lighter weight carrying around gun. I also use it to blast the wolf steel case. I get 2-3 MOA with it using steel. I still need to see what it will do with better ammo. this build more or less turned out as a mini version of the rifle.

Currently in progress is a build for my daughter. she's only 14 months old, but the lower is done just need to figure out the upper. I have a Colt fiberlite style stock, troy tomahawk cqb grip, RRA 2 stage trigger. should make for a nice little grip, short LOP lower. For the upper I have only an ALG 13" emr V3 in purple that is dedicated. I kind of want to go with a 14.5" midlength with a pinned VG6 brake and some sort of adjustable gas to make the recoil as nonexistent as possible, but the barrels I can find are above what i want to pay right now. BFT needs to do a group buy.

Anyhow, eat your hearts out, criticize, whatever
    Attached Files
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Nice looking group. I would bet that BFT will have another 16" group buy before she turns 10 Lol!
    why not skip the 14.5/pinning and use a 16" and the MB... not much weight difference but much more flexibility.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Great pair. How do you like the Accupoint?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

There is a 16” Group buy going on right now and barrels are expected in April. I bought a 16” Faxon out of the first group buy and I’d much rather have it than a pin and welded 14.5”. I’d buy the 12,7” Faxon on the GB if you want a short barrel and you could pin and weld it. There aren’t many 14.5” barrel 6.5 Grendels, AA and Sabre defense both offered them but they are out of production.

Sounds like you’ve got plenty of time to decide.

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is our group buy on 16" 6.5 Grendel "Monster" barrels made to our specifications by Faxon Firearms. These barrels are built to the same quality standard as Faxon's Match series or Ballistic Advantage, but we have forum member's-only pricing on

Comment

• worthen86ford
          Warrior
          • May 2016

I have a spare AA 16” lite barrel that i may use but if a 14.5 could happen I wouldn’t mind it.

I really like the accupoint. It’s my first top end glass that ive had. Or at least what i consider top end. Leupolds are all I’ve ever had before. Only complaint is the weight.

Comment

Working...
          X