• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

My new Ballistic Advantage 20" DMR fluted barrel

I shot the Ballistic Advantage barrel yesterday and thought I would post the results.
    This is with no gas block so is manually ejected.
    I had to whack the charging handle with a 2x4 most times to get Wolf steel rounds to eject.
    Then I shot some Hornady Black and I was able to eject by pulling on both sides of the charging handle.
    Wolf steel ammo shot about 2 MOA and Hornady Black shot about 1 MOA.

• grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

For the first few rounds?
    That's doing well bj.
    Also no handguard so harmonics are a bit different I guess... but the holes in paper are looking nice.
    How will you finish it up?

I'm a little curious as to why you use this no-gas method, hand ejecting, etc... care to elaborate? just curious.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BCHunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

I would think a fired case shouldn't be that hard to eject by hand? You could try polishing the chamber, BCG, and raceways, so there was less friction, I use Flitz metal polish on my bolt guns and it smooths them out quite nicely.

I agree with grayfox about the barrel harmonics try some groups off sand bags without touching the barrel, rest on the mag well essentialy.
      Last edited by BCHunter; 03-08-2018, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• BCHunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

Grayfox the OP had mentioned before on his build thread, that in PA. It is illegal to hunt with any semiauto rifle, this is his solution to hunt with an AR15 and be compliant.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

BCH is right. I started this to hunt with an AR15 in PA.
          I figured the game warden would have trouble citing me if I showed an open gas port.
          Now when I get a new barrel I just attach it with a nut, add a scope and shoot.
          I have been writing down my scope settings for easier returnability to zero as I switch between uppers.
          I will add a schedule 40 handguard and reload some cases fired in the same chamber to shoot more when the winter ends.
          I have been writing the barrel I used on each box of brass ammo I fire to keep them separated for better chamber fit.

I have found that more tapered cases seem easier to eject.
          Last edited by bj139; 03-08-2018, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• bldsmith
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

I had a similar problem with wolf steel. I had an adjustable block that was not open enough. The steel would get stuck and I would have to mortar the case out. Once I opened the block more it functioned fine.

Why not put an adjustable block on, leave it closed and don't install a gas tube?
            A. C. Richards OTAC USN RET

ABS Journeyman Smith

http://acrichardscustomknives.com/

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bldsmith View Post
              I had a similar problem with wolf steel. I had an adjustable block that was not open enough. The steel would get stuck and I would have to mortar the case out. Once I opened the block more it functioned fine.

Why not put an adjustable block on, leave it closed and don't install a gas tube?
              I don't know if you read the earlier part of the thread but I have NO GAS BLOCK at all.
              I am manually ejecting since Pennsylvania will not allow autoloaders for deer hunting.
              Benefits are I get no case mouth dents and the rifle is safe after firing since the empty case is still in the chamber.

Comment

• outbreaker
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

You will never get good accuracy without the handguard due to inconsistent barrel pressure.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  I don't know if you read the earlier part of the thread but I have NO GAS BLOCK at all.
                  I am manually ejecting since Pennsylvania will not allow autoloaders for deer hunting.
                  Benefits are I get no case mouth dents and the rifle is safe after firing since the empty case is still in the chamber.
                  Understand BJ, didn't mean to cause confusion... as to whatever issues there may be with no handguard, I imagine you've worked that out and it shoots ok for you, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about it!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Yes. Handguard. I will do.

Comment

• BCHunter
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by bldsmith View Post

I was thinking the same? Don't know the PA regulations but an adjustable gas block closed off without a gas tube would still be a single shot AR? if would just close the gas port off for you.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2018

Thats some deep fluting! Looks good, how is the OA weight?

Good shooting too!

I dont shoot steel cases in a gun I care about.

CW

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

BCH,
                          What would prevent someone from going into the woods and opening the adjustable gas block then closing it again before coming back out?
                          LE would love that. I have removed all doubt by not having a gas block or tube in my possession.

cwlong,
                          The balance feels just about like the 20" Faxon group buy barrel.
                          Lightweight 20" barrels just have a great balance, not stock heavy like the 16" barrels or less and not nose heavy like the bull barrels.

Comment

• blackholegun
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2017

Nice shooting for a 125.00 barrel.
                            Hope you enjoy it
                            Good luck hunting
                            Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

• ConcernedCitizen
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by blackholegun View Post
                              Nice shooting for a 125.00 barrel.
                              Hope you enjoy it
                              Good luck hunting
                              I'd love to know where you can find one of those barrels for $125.

Comment

Working...
                              X