Looking for info on suppressor for Grendel (and others)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilecoyote
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Looking for info on suppressor for Grendel (and others)

Decided I want a can for my rifles and got the OK at home for it. Trust is set, so research has begun. Of coarse this will be for my Grendel, but also for my 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor.

I've decided that I'd like to go with Thunder Beast. Primarily the Ultra 7.

Having talked with more than a few of the great members here, i know there's some good and experience that some may care to share. My logic is that I like the 6.5mm & 6mm. I want a suppressor that is for the caliber as close as possible.

That being the case, questions are... is there a flaw in my logic? Is the Ultra 7 a good choice or are there opinions of others that may be better? Info on the offerings from Thunder Beast or others?

Thanks in advance.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I ordered the ultra 7 6.5mm can back in October or November when they did the group buy. It's at my range for me to shoot while I am there. From talking to tbac on the phone I'm very confident I made the right choice but I have no other suppressors to compare it to side by side.

Comment

• wilecoyote
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Thanks Bigs28.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Bill A. and Ray from ThunderBeast did some testing with Ultra 7 and Ultra 5s, 30 and 6.5mm.

The feeling was that the 6.5mm were more quiet at the muzzle, but increased supersonic noise through the gas vents in the carrier.

The 6.5mm cans will also increase your back-pressure, creating more plug dwell time behavior, which increases cyclic rate and will unlock much earlier.

For that reason, I went with 30 Cal Ultra 5.

The difference in db rating between the Ultra 7 and Ultra 5 was barely measurable, with overlap in the testing. Ray posted videos of this.

The 6.5mm cans make a lot of sense on bolts guns, as they drop the noise measurably on a sound meter.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

When you say stuff like that it scares me. When I called tbac the tech on the phone told me he has the 7" 6.5 can on his ar because it's noticeably quieter then the 30cal and the 5" of both. You have way more experience then i do and i just hope I bought the right can.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
            When you say stuff like that it scares me. When I called tbac the tech on the phone told me he has the 7" 6.5 can on his ar because it's noticeably quieter then the 30cal and the 5" of both. You have way more experience then i do and i just hope I bought the right can.
            Nothing to be scared of. Just realize you'll want to look at adjustable gas and maybe a heavier buffer.

The Bootleg adjustable carrier is one option to look at.

The Ultra 7 is definitely quieter on a bolt gun and more quiet at the muzzle than a 30 cal Ultra on the meter. From a RH shooter's ear, the Ultra 7 6.5mm will be noticeably quieter.

To a by-stander on the right side of the rifle, there is more supersonic noise from the carrier.

From shooter's ear, it will sound more like disconnecting an air hose...very quiet.

From left of the rifle, even the Ultra 5 30 cal sounds amazingly quiet to me from 6.5 Grendel.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

Thanks for making that more clear. I'm usually alone when I'm walking and hunting so their won't be anyone near me most of the time. I have adjustable gas and will be getting the jpscs h2 before the suppressor gets out of jail.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

I actually ended up ordering and paying for a Saker 762 this morning. Paperwork goes in next week.

Figured I'd go with the Saker since what I want to put together next is something in 7mm.

Comment

Working...
                X