• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trueblue
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Small vs large primer

Trying to get components together for a 6.5 Grendel AR build, and see that different brass companies have different size primer pockets.
    Starline used to have small pockets, but now are large primer pockets. Lapua is small primer pockets.
    Does it make any difference on load accuracy between small or large, or just buy what is available?
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

You have to use large primers in large primer pockets and small primers in small primer pockets.

Do not mix the 2. If your brass has both sizes, then buy both sizes of primers.

A small primer in a large primer pocket will fall out. Trying to get a large primer into a small primer pocket may cause a slight explosion.

Many different thoughts on the accuracy question. Lapua uses small flash holes due to cold weather. Supposed to transfer a more consistant, hotter flash due to the narrow flash hole. Thus better accuracy.

More powder usually wants a bigger primer, Wolf uses large primers. Some Wolf shoots great other Wolf, not so much. Not sure of the PPU brass.

I think the flash hole and pocket size should be standardized.
    Last edited by Jakal; 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• hill37
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

What makes you think Starline uses large primers? Their web sight still says small rifle primers. Starlines flash hole is .080" .Lapua is the only Company that I know that uses a .060" flash hole. PPU and maybe Wolf are the only Grendel brass that used large rifle primers that I know of. Wolf steel uses Berdan (European type).

Comment

• Trueblue
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
        What makes you think Starline uses large primers? Their web sight still says small rifle primers. Starlines flash hole is .080" .Lapua is the only Company that I know that uses a .060" flash hole. PPU and maybe Wolf are the only Grendel brass that used large rifle primers that I know of. Wolf steel uses Berdan (European type).
        I guess I assumed that since Lapua is 0.060 flashhole that a 0.080 was a large primer size flashhole.
        So, they are both small primer pocket, correct.
        Last edited by Trueblue; 03-26-2018, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• cwlongshot
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

I just bought 200 Star line Grendel brass...its SRP sized.

Its new stock, as this supplier said new into him about a month back...

So maybe some, but surely not all.

CW

Comment

• mdewitt71
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Trueblue View Post
            I guess I assumed that since Lapua is 0.060 flashhole that a 0.080 was a large primer size flashhole.
            So, they are both small primer pocket, correct.
            Flashhole size is not Primer size......
            ALL Starline 6.5 Grendel is for Small Rifle Primer size and Yes, it has a larger flash hole that Lapua or other brands.
            There is no plan for large primer for 6.5G; at least not being made since I was there this weekend.
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• Trueblue
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2018

Got it, thanks.
              For some reason I was having a brain f$rt day.
              Been reloading for over 10 years, not sure why I got confused on this one.

Comment

• drykilned
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

Trueblue, I been reloading since 1963 and occasionally still have brain f$arts!. I do have the excuse of old age, tho!

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by drykilned View Post
                  Trueblue, I been reloading since 1963 and occasionally still have brain f$arts!. I do have the excuse of old age, tho!
                  I got your back on that one. Seems they get more frequent than I would like....

Comment

Working...
                  X