X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkingrph
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Building an AR is not that difficult. Other than a couple of special wrenches, one for the barrel nut other for the receiver extension tube, I forget the proper name, that holds the action spring, an action block so you can hold the upper in a vice will be very desirable, I guess not absolutely necessary, but it will help a lot. Torqueing the barrel nut properly so one of the notches lines up with the upper receiver hole for the gas tube is a pain. I built most of mine with gas piston operating systems, and assembly is basically the same, just align the nut the same ( for operating rod vs gas tube) and go. Lowers although a bit more complex with trigger group, bolt release, mag release, are much easier. The main thing is to look things over and go slow.
    Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      Easist way to install the roll pins in the trigger guard and bolt catch pin is to use vise grips with black tape on the jaws so I don't mar the finish.
      +1 on this one I used my bench vise jaws..taper one end of the pin just a hair with sandpaper or something similar just enough to get it started.

Comment

• diddlyv
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

Caveman technique for the castlenut for the buffer tube is a brass punch and small hammer. Surprising how tight tapping not very hard at all can get
        Queen of Battle
        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

One thing about not having the tools to build one. Might as well acquire them along the way. As in tater chips you can't build just one. They tend to multiply. I went the Aero Precision route and am very happy with it. They make good stuff. Just have to shop a bit. Prices tend to fluctuate.

Comment

• BCHunter
            Warrior
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by jkingrph View Post
            Building an AR is not that difficult. Other than a couple of special wrenches, one for the barrel nut other for the receiver extension tube, I forget the proper name, that holds the action spring, an action block so you can hold the upper in a vice will be very desirable, I guess not absolutely necessary, but it will help a lot. Torqueing the barrel nut properly so one of the notches lines up with the upper receiver hole for the gas tube is a pain. I built most of mine with gas piston operating systems, and assembly is basically the same, just align the nut the same ( for operating rod vs gas tube) and go. Lowers although a bit more complex with trigger group, bolt release, mag release, are much easier. The main thing is to look things over and go slow.
            Many manufactures now make proprietary barrel nuts that do away with timing the holes for the gas tube. I used aero precision uppers, comes with wrench head to attach to your torque wrench, bed barrel lug, grease nut, hand tighten, let sit 24 hrs for bedding to cure, torque down in 3 steps. Assemble hand guard, it is so simple.

Comment

• tangodown
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2018

If I was on a budget I would use mil spec upper and lower. You can find a Blem upper for $35 and a Blem lower for $45. The blems are mostly coating issues just ask them and make sure. You can find a blem BCG for $50. Now I can get you a Elftmann trigger for $180. Its adjustable from 2.5 to 5 pounds with a allen wrench. Then I would put a Carbon fiber wrapped barrel on it. They should be around $550. It will save weight when humping it through the bush. Charging handle blems from Anderson cost $7.50. If you want more info PM me .

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Where are you finding a CF barrel of quality that cheap?
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• tangodown
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                  Where are you finding a CF barrel of quality that cheap?

I don't know if you would call this cheap, but for the performance I would.

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Key word there was "Quality". BSF has yet to forge a reliability, just another company trying to push a CF barrel that has been Swiss cheesed.

Proof Research is the one to meet or beat. They have the reputation, and they don't have to put a bunch of cooling ports in the CF wrap to keep it cool and rigid.

There was another thread on the BSF not too long ago.

Pass
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• tangodown
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2018

CHRISTENSEN ARMS Is who I normally deal with when it comes to CF barrels just thought I would toss up the one I found on Brownell's. If you want quality then money is of no question. Everyone always seems to want that happy tipping point of money(quality) verses not breaking the bank.
                      Last edited by tangodown; 04-13-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X