• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

2nd range trip with 18" GrendelHunter

Despite the snow, wind and lower temps I had the day off and wanted to get my two new builds out to test.....
    A 20" .223 Wylde and the 6.5 GrendelHunter

I shot about 30 rounds of the Hornady American Gunner bulk 123gr HPBT ammo.
    This American Gunner factory bulk was not too bad, velocity averaged 2380 FPS with a 15.1 SD
    There was about a 10-12 MPH crosswind and it wasn't shooting spectacular at 100 but, OK for only the 2nd trip with this build.
    I was blasting 6 inch gongs great at 300 with it.

Hornady Black gave me a 2,405 FPS average velocity with a standard Dev of 13.1 out of 40 shots fired.
    The velocity went up and the SD down from my First range trip on this same barrel, good break in sign.
    I shot three or four groups but, most were not that great, with the best being below.

The rifle now has 100 rounds down the 18" Stainless Steel fluted Satern barrel, I will give it a good cleaning tonight and will probably start running some hand loads thru it on the next range trip.

It's not a match grade barrel nor a $1000 build so I don't have any complaints right now....except my next day off is not for awhile.
    Last edited by mdewitt71; 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM.
    ― George Orwell
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Is the velocity on the 123 grain Hornady Black ELDM correct? I’ve never seen a 6.5 Grendel get velocity that high with a 123 grain bullet.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

I'm sorry, but is 2,805 FPS for 123gr Hornady Black ammo out of an 18" barrel a typo?

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Good catch.... 2,405 for Black 123gr. ELD-M
        That is what I get using my phone.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Great report with photos! Appreciate you taking the time out of your very busy schedule.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
          X