• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Question on 12.7, 12.5 etc pistol assemblies w/ brace

Ok Horde, so here's a question about buffers on pistol assemblies and braces when there's a carbine length gas system...

Looks like some guys have a KAK brace (kinda interested in this one), which takes a pistol buffer tube. Should a pistol with 12.5/12.7" barrel and carbine length gas, use a brace that calls for a pistol buffer or one that uses a carbine buffer (if there is such a thing).
    Are the pistol buffer weight and spring the same wts/sizes as carbine buffer/spring?

(OK I lied, it's 2 questions...!).

As I look into a Grrr pistol my concern is ability to stabilize it during the shot, obviously there won't be a bench/bipod out in the woods (like at the range)... so.... pondering, pondering.

...I need a new cool-looking emoji-thingy that means "pondering..." hahahaha!

Thanks!
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • dpete
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
    Are the pistol buffer weight and spring the same wts/sizes as carbine buffer/spring?

As I look into a Grrr pistol my concern is ability to stabilize it during the shot, obviously there won't be a bench/bipod out in the woods (like at the range)... so.... pondering, pondering.

...I need a new cool-looking emoji-thingy that means "pondering..." hahahaha!

Thanks!
    A short answer to that first question is ....yes. Pistol and carbine reciever extensions and their contents are(or should be) the same lengths and sizes.
    Pistol and carbine gas lengths for barrels are completely seperate and have nothing to do with carbine or rifle length reciever extensions and buffers.
    For example:
    My 8" barrel pistol gas 300BLK began as a pistol. It's lower had a KAK pistol reciever extension containing a carbine spring and carbine weight buffer and an original Sig brace. Perfect function. When it became a SBR the only components that changed were the reciever extension and a new stock on a tax stamped SBR lower.

My 12.7" Grendel barrel has a carbine gas length and will begin its life over the very same pistol lower that the 300 BLK did.

Also you can run rifle gas system barrels with carbine extensions, springs, and buffers no problem.

Springs and buffers are mostly related to what length reciever extensions they are in. You can get into playing with buffer weights to modify recoil without changing spring and extension tube.

Hopefully this makes some sense. I'm sure others can say something similar even more clearly.
    Last edited by dpete; 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I've done multiple builds in 5.56 and Grrr with everything from 20"/RLGS to 10.3"/CLGS mated to carbine lowers and pistol lowers. 100% functional with ALL using CAR buffers and springs. A couple of the pistols have Superlative AGBs, the rest use plain 'ol non-adjustable gas blocks.
      DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

No problem with a pistol tube and kak blade with the supplied spring and buffer in their kit.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Good to hear guys, sometimes it gets a tad confusing. Good to hear from someone whose actually shot them in configuration.
          I'm thinking the KAK blade would be a good place to start with my pistol build.
          My 12.7 barrel ships today, so the project bin is filling up!

edit: pistol stuff is new territory for me!

Comment

• dpete
            Warrior
            • May 2016

Its more money than a blade but take a look at the SBA3 brace from SB Tactical. Its a legal adjustable pistol brace. Uses any milspec carbine tube.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

dpetes pretty much hits it out of the park, I've had pistol ar's for years it is a different area of understanding with all its in's and out's and particulars where you don't want to step into gray areas, so it's best to ask questions. But overall function is basically the same as it's longer brethren.
              Last edited by Lastrites; 04-19-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Joebob's had, I say HAD, SBA3's on sale... for a few minutes I guess. Sold out --
                I got a KAK inbound, we'll see how it does for now.
                If it doesn't go for me... well I'll just have to look at some backorder list and try that SBA3...
                I'm in no hurry, I have the essentials coming in, the rest I'll look around for.
                Thanks all!

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2018

I have 2 pistols, one 308 12.5 inch barreled with BO shooting subs. A adjustable gas block took care of that. Have my 12.5 inch Grendel upper coming in tomorrow that will share the 300 BO lower, for now. Kak blade setup or other brace setup works great for a pistol.

Comment

• Bevo
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    Joebob's had, I say HAD, SBA3's on sale... for a few minutes I guess. Sold out --
                    I got a KAK inbound, we'll see how it does for now.
                    If it doesn't go for me... well I'll just have to look at some backorder list and try that SBA3...
                    I'm in no hurry, I have the essentials coming in, the rest I'll look around for.
                    Thanks all!
                    I got their email, clicked on it two minutes after receiving, added the SBA3 to my cart, went to check out and it said they were all sold out. They must have had like 1 for sale.

Comment

Working...
                    X