• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dpete View Post
    KS I thought the same as you do about subs until I read about how much subsonics overpenetrate. I even have an 8" barreled 300 BLK with a suppressor mounted to use. What changed my mind was this thread on the BLK forum:

The link is the second page of the thread and the first two posts and the fourth are by three of the most experienced and knowledgeable guys on there.
    dpete, I thought your handle sounded familiar. Back in 2012/13 I was active on the Blackout forum too until moving on to bigger and better things...

Regarding overpenetration of subs, I could not agree more. Having hunted roos (kangaroos) using different subs from a suppressor I can vouch for them being not much more potent than a bow. None of the few dedicated subsonic bullets have worked on flesh like their websites claimed. This includes the 220SN by Outlaw State and 220 HP by Blackout Bullets. None of the heavy bullets designed for supersonic did anything more than laser-beam through flesh. Only one, the 220SMK seems to tumble through the target. There is an audible 'zing' out the other side of the animal as the bullet heads off into the distance taking precious energy with it.

If you look at the internal ballistics of both a Grendel and Blackout subsonic on Quickload it is only 2/3 the available peak pressure. In other words you are deliberately handicapping the calibre to make it subsonic. You will be turning your Grendel into an accurate 9mm round (120-160gns at 1,020fps is equivalent to 9mm). With less diameter than a 9mm its crush trail will be smaller, there is no familiar kinetic shock, and the bullet will laser beam through flesh with no expansion from any made-for-supersonic bullet you try.

Given the drop of subs you are also limited to shooting 50-100metres, which requires you to stalk up to the target.

Here's a thread I posted in 2013 on the subject after the end of a hunt. Apologies for the deleted photos, they are long gone but basically showed entry and exit holes with exit holes being no bigger than entry.

Every now and then I head back to that forum to see if any new dedicated sub bullets have come out. Suppressed subsonic is my only interest in Blackout as its supersonic is a poor cousin of the 223, and the Grendel is a 223 on steroids.

Comment

Working...
    X