Clear All
  • Forgottenben
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

Any upper recommendations

• BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Price range of "reasonable price"? Your definition and mine may not be the same.

Comment

• Forgottenben
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2015

Was wondering if I could get a quality upper in the 4-500 range

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 04-29-2018, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

Check Aero Precision find what you want do a search and see who's got them discounted. Granite Ridge,Monmouth etc. and what HuntTX said.

Comment

• Joseph5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

Check Out LaRue Tacticals Ultimate Upper Build Kit. Best value going.

Comment

• Bearcatrp
              Warrior
              • Apr 2018

I picked up a upper from Sulzer firearms recently. Solid build. But did have issues so they sent me a paid shipping label to check it out on their dime. Thought the price was good. http://sulzerfirearms.com/

Comment

• Forgottenben
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Joseph5 View Post
                Check Out LaRue Tacticals Ultimate Upper Build Kit. Best value going.
                Oh why would you show me that?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Welcome Forgotten, to the board.

First, let me say that I can relate and I do completely understand the wallet skinny syndrome quite well. I can also say, that if Grendel is in your cards, costs should be low on the priority lists you are laying out for a build. The "budget" Grendel scene is suffering from real world deficiencies as of late, and this problem only seems to be getting worse.

Grendel is popular for a whole host of reasons, I am sure you are aware of. After all, here you are! If you're in the market for a $500 assembled upper, you're rolling the dice somewhat. The popularity of Grendel is such at the moment that most manufacturers of lower cost uppers are inundated with orders, creating long waiting lists, and seemingly feel more pressure to fill orders than produce quality parts. It's actually a rather healthy sign that the market is ripe for Grendel's future success. This is all good news, if you can bring yourself to think a few years ahead.

Are you mechanically inclined at all? Do you feel confident enough in your self to be able to assemble an "adult" level Lego set? Then you can, and I dare say, should - build your own with great success; And probably with parts of typically higher quality to boot.

The LaRue upper kit can be had for just under $830 dollars, to your door. What you wind up with, after putting it together, is a Grendel that is probably the best 900 dollar Grendel available anywhere, from any supplier. Top shelf upper receiver, top shelf hand guard, top shelf barrel, top shelf gas block, top shelf trigger, top shelf BCG and bolt, top shelf buffer kit, top shelf muzzle brake, top shelf lower parts kit, and better than average grip and stock. I'm sensing a trend...

If you've already got a lower, (I assume you do, as you're sourcing an upper only) then the amazing part is that you can take your lower, strip it down, and rebuild it with what comes with your kit, and have a top shelf Grendel for $830 bucks. The really interesting thing is that if you bought the pieces at normal market prices you'd be into the 2K+ area for the list above. If price is all that's holding you back, it's worth the wait until you have the funds. You're not far off, and you'll find happiness lies in the beautiful small groups created when things finally come together.

Really, if you can build Legos, you can build your own AR. Just make sure you take things slow, and websearch anything you're not absolutely sure about. Or ask here, or in the troubleshooting section. We've all got your back.

There are several vendors that seem to create relatively well made and assembled uppers; from my reading among them are Alexander Arms, Aero Precision, ..., aaaaand the list goes from here to over 1K if you skip over the already mentioned LaRue kit. There are others, lots of them. But with drastically varying reviews here and on other sites, the risks increase seemingly exponentially.

I want to be clear here, I am in no way trying to get you to spend more than you should, or more than you want to. Spend what you're comfortable with, and in all actuality, you'll likely do fine. If I may offer the following: There are two things I've learned about Grendel since I started my journey that I think are salient here. 1) Grendel is capable of blowing your mind, and the mind of everyone else on the firing line with you, especially if you let them shoot it too. 2) Grendel is worthy of doing it right; the more you think you're done being impressed, the more you smile with joy. (And now you realize that the things you thought were expensive at first are now priced at a point where your new Grendel just had a sudden successful pregnancy, and multiplied!)
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Forgottenben
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                    Welcome Forgotten, to the board.

First, let me say that I can relate and I do completely understand the wallet skinny syndrome quite well. I can also say, that if Grendel is in your cards, costs should be low on the priority lists you are laying out for a build. The "budget" Grendel scene is suffering from real world deficiencies as of late, and this problem only seems to be getting worse.

Grendel is popular for a whole host of reasons, I am sure you are aware of. After all, here you are! If you're in the market for a $500 assembled upper, you're rolling the dice somewhat. The popularity of Grendel is such at the moment that most manufacturers of lower cost uppers are inundated with orders, creating long waiting lists, and seemingly feel more pressure to fill orders than produce quality parts. It's actually a rather healthy sign that the market is ripe for Grendel's future success. This is all good news, if you can bring yourself to think a few years ahead.

Are you mechanically inclined at all? Do you feel confident enough in your self to be able to assemble an "adult" level Lego set? Then you can, and I dare say, should - build your own with great success; And probably with parts of typically higher quality to boot.

The LaRue upper kit can be had for just under $830 dollars, to your door. What you wind up with, after putting it together, is a Grendel that is probably the best 900 dollar Grendel available anywhere, from any supplier. Top shelf upper receiver, top shelf hand guard, top shelf barrel, top shelf gas block, top shelf trigger, top shelf BCG and bolt, top shelf buffer kit, top shelf muzzle brake, top shelf lower parts kit, and better than average grip and stock. I'm sensing a trend...

If you've already got a lower, (I assume you do, as you're sourcing an upper only) then the amazing part is that you can take your lower, strip it down, and rebuild it with what comes with your kit, and have a top shelf Grendel for $830 bucks. The really interesting thing is that if you bought the pieces at normal market prices you'd be into the 2K+ area for the list above. If price is all that's holding you back, it's worth the wait until you have the funds. You're not far off, and you'll find happiness lies in the beautiful small groups created when things finally come together.

Really, if you can build Legos, you can build your own AR. Just make sure you take things slow, and websearch anything you're not absolutely sure about. Or ask here, or in the troubleshooting section. We've all got your back.

There are several vendors that seem to create relatively well made and assembled uppers; from my reading among them are Alexander Arms, Aero Precision, ..., aaaaand the list goes from here to over 1K if you skip over the already mentioned LaRue kit. There are others, lots of them. But with drastically varying reviews here and on other sites, the risks increase seemingly exponentially.

I want to be clear here, I am in no way trying to get you to spend more than you should, or more than you want to. Spend what you're comfortable with, and in all actuality, you'll likely do fine. If I may offer the following: There are two things I've learned about Grendel since I started my journey that I think are salient here. 1) Grendel is capable of blowing your mind, and the mind of everyone else on the firing line with you, especially if you let them shoot it too. 2) Grendel is worthy of doing it right; the more you think you're done being impressed, the more you smile with joy. (And now you realize that the things you thought were expensive at first are now priced at a point where your new Grendel just had a sudden successful pregnancy, and multiplied!)

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

It's a disease. The sooner you face that, the sooner your treatment can begin. Treatment centers are located nearby and waiting to serve you. I know - I have a Larue UU kit.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Forgottenben View Post
                        So really, you’ve cost me 2k, not 800, thanks ��
                        See? You haven’t even built your Grendel yet, and it came already ripe with children! Welcome, again, to the Horde!

My wife told me yesterday she wants to go shooting with me, and I asked her what she wants to shoot. Your LaRue, what else? If I’m going to hunt deer, I guess I should get started figuring out how to shoot like you. I about fell down. She’s never been afraid to go outside, but she’s more into binge watching British dramas than getting a tan. Not complaints! That’s three more standard tags this fall!

Suddenly, I feel yet another Grendel in the works.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2014

All this talk about the LaRue Ultimate Upper reminds me that I have a 22” Creedmoor Upper from them I need to sale.....

Then you could shoot a his and hers 6.5 set

Comment

• Forgottenben
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2015

Does anyone know how the faxon group buy barrel compares to the larue barrel?

Comment

Working...
                              X