• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fixin
    Warrior
    • Apr 2018

BSF Range Report/First Shots

I took the gun out today and dumped the first mags through. Quite frankly, I couldn't be happier with the results. The gun, once I tuned the gas system and rezeroed my optic, shot to my expectation and then some. The barrel is worth it, my muzzle break heated up quicker than the front end of the barrel. Periodically after firing a string of groups I would purposely grab the barrel, not once did I feel it get beyond luke warm. I fired 120 rounds through it, I shot some groupings pre-break-in and then after break-in I have pictures below(I know, that's a little dumb... but if it is stupid but works, not really stupid). Recoil on the gun felt less than my 18in once I got the gas system dialed in. Weight on the gun feels no different that my previous setup and the barrel balanced out quite nicely. Group sizes... the thing that all of y'all are waiting on, as you can see from the photos below, are quite promising. As far as I can see, that barrel and gun, given some time to 100% settle in, IS GOING TO SHOOT!!! Hands down, one of the best purchases I have EVER MADE!!!!! I am sad that I didn't hop on this train sooner. Now I did have some variables today 1. I don't use a sled or sandbags(I know I should, however I am a dirty sinner and don't lmao) and 2. the range I shoot at has some pretty loose(putting nicely) tables and seats that wiggle and wobble when you sneeze wrong on a good day. So when taken into account, realize that my groups are worse case scenario in every way possible as noted with a couple of photos. The 2 photos you see without the break-in title are both after break-in, the pre break-in flyer is me pulling the shot. I hope you guys enjoy the thread as much as I enjoyed making it. I also hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade to carbon fiber, but don't want to pay Proof Research price tag.
    Attached Files
    to procrastinate... tomorrow!!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Looks really good, it really liked those TNT’s.

Comment

• fixin
      Warrior
      • Apr 2018

Yeah, and the ELDs as well. The 130 bergers not so much, however see as that I mostly come across the ELDs and tnt's, I am certainly happy

Comment

• Redomen
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

What length barrel?

Comment

• fixin
          Warrior
          • Apr 2018

20in

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Looking good for anything if your not using a rear bag! With some well executed StoneHendges. Be careful with the heat. My 223 arrived today and I'm pretty impressed. But it's not how hot the cf gets, it's the steel core inside. If anything, the muzzle brake is going to cool faster than the steel barrel core since the brake has 100% air flow around it while air flow on the core is hindered by the cf sleeve.

I may have mine up and running by the weekend if I can find something to put on the muzzle and borrow a Timney from my 300 BLK while I wait for Geisseles to go on sale. The steel core in front of the gas block looks to be about the same 0.625" diameter as in my 20" 223. If it's not too expensive, I want to get a thermometer and compare how fast the BSF cools with my 20". Take 10 or 20 shots with the same ammo and then see where the temps are at intervals - ill probably try and measure by the chamber and just past the gas block. If I can't get a thermometer in the cutouts, they both have 15" rails so I could do the measurement there.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• fixin
              Warrior
              • Apr 2018

Nice! So far so good though, glad you got your .223 in. I am also not noticing a big weight difference from my 18in setup to the 20in. I have actually been a lot more comfortable, the barrel and handguard have balanced the whole gun out quite well. I've got my gas block tuned, although I think it could be tweaked a smidge more. However, that will be for another range session.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by fixin View Post
                Nice! So far so good though, glad you got your .223 in.
                I may have gotten the barrel in, but the handguard and LPK have been relegated to FedEx "Sure"Post hell. Ordered from Brownells, 9.5 days ago, FedEx has been taking it on a tour of their Denver facilities. Estimated delivery is on Wednesday, which would put it at 13 days for a 850 mile trip. I think the Wednesday estimate is aggressive since it hasn't even gotten into the hands of the USPS yet.

Screenshot_20180526-100836_crop_600x484.jpg

There is no such thing as "free shipping". This was supposed to be 4-7 day shipping. It should be on the short end of that coming from Iowa to CO. Thing is, Brownells is supposed to have a note on my account to not get the USPS involved with any of my orders.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Been there, done that, have the gray hairs to prove it.

UPS or FedEx to USPS and OnTrac. Packages take a minor vacation at the closest distriburtion facility before they decide to go where they are supposed to go.

Had an OnTrack shipment sitting in their warehouse in Denver for 2 weeks. Tracking showed it scanned in, but nobody could find it (holiday and short staffed was the excuse). Then it was scanned out, sent to a local warehouse outside of Greeley for another week - a Greeley address being the final destination.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• fixin
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2018

Excuse my language, but damn that is no bueno. For me all of my parts arrived on time and with no issue even with USPS. I actually received everything earlier than expected.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Last time I ordered something from Brownel's, it went from Kansas City to Wichita (12 miles from my home), got on a plane, went to St. Louis, then back on a truck and came to my house via Kansas City, got on the same truck it started on, and was delivered 13 days after purchase. (it was supposed to be delivered in 3 days...)

It was fun to post on FB about my new Hornady Micrometer stem's journey home.
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• fixin
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                        Last time I ordered something from Brownel's, it went from Kansas City to Wichita (12 miles from my home), got on a plane, went to St. Louis, then back on a truck and came to my house via Kansas City, got on the same truck it started on, and was delivered 13 days after purchase. (it was supposed to be delivered in 3 days...)

It was fun to post on FB about my new Hornady Micrometer stem's journey home.
                        That's hilarious! LOL, I can only hope it came with full commentary and lots of laughs.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

The postperson cometh! Almost altogether. Waiting on FedEx with scope mount and ups with trigger - both should arrive tomorrow. We'll see when muzzle brake shows up - Rainier isn't the best at sending tracking numbers, but I can at least work on breaking him in without the brake.

Fixin, did you measure your chamber of all? Mine is definitely rather tight. 77 gr NCCs are 2.23+ to the lands. That's a bullet most people just load at 2.26 without thinking about it. Not complaining at all - 70 gr RDFs are 2.27 so I should be able to load them at Pmag length and 75 VLDs are 2.32 which means I stand a chance with ASC mags. Going to measure again in the a.m.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• fixin
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2018

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                            The postperson cometh! Almost altogether. Waiting on FedEx with scope mount and ups with trigger - both should arrive tomorrow. We'll see when muzzle brake shows up - Rainier isn't the best at sending tracking numbers, but I can at least work on breaking him in without the brake.

Fixin, did you measure your chamber of all? Mine is definitely rather tight. 77 gr NCCs are 2.23+ to the lands. That's a bullet most people just load at 2.26 without thinking about it. Not complaining at all - 70 gr RDFs are 2.27 so I should be able to load them at Pmag length and 75 VLDs are 2.32 which means I stand a chance with ASC mags. Going to measure again in the a.m.

Not yet, I haven't been home as of recent. I got invited to go visit a friend of mine in Colorado and see a MLS soccer game. I am now in the Dallas area visiting family. I will be getting home soon and I'll measure chamber depth and post up additional groupings here soon. I just purchased some of the federal fusion 120gr and I am a bit curious about it. I am also going to try and look for the american eagle 120gr and hopefully some more 90gr TNT or 123gr ELDs. I am insanely curious of how the 90gr will shoot now that I am sufficiently shot the barrel in to inquire about it. I am still quite happy with how everything is playing out with the gun. I am now only waiting on my form 4 to get kicked back(which by the looks won't be around until december time frame) and I'll be 100% operational instead of 99% ... Oh the woes of waiting on something so useful and yet so "dangerous" according to people who know next to nothing about them LOL

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

20180601_154756_resized-756x1008.jpg20180601_154759_resized-756x1008.jpg

I think it will work! Groups widened significantly to 2 MOA at100, but that's pretty much been my experience with the ammo through 1:8 twist barrels.

I think the barrel is a tad on the fast side - I got 3075 with the Norma vs 3070 I get with my 20" BHW (which has 5P rifling and is pretty much average) and 3150 that I used to get with my old 24" Anderson bull barrel. Probably a little bit due to the tight chamber.

Looking forward to working up 77s. It should be a sub MOA barrel with decent ammo and I'm pretty hopeful that the 1/2MOA potential is indeed there.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                              X